Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Working Rottweilers
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Working Rottweilers Therapy, Schutzhund, Agility, Carting, Obedience, Personal Protection, Herding, Flyball, Dock Jumping, if it has to do with Working Topics, lets post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Novice Member

Cool Rottweilers VS. Other Tough Breeds

My question is how do the present rottweilers compare to other tough breeds such as Dogo argentino, Fila Brasileiro, Cane Corso, Presa Canario etc. Do a majority of todays rotties have less guard abilty, bravery, and work ethic because of breeders trying to simmer down the aggresiveness in rotties in the past. Are rotties really the king of the canine world or do one of these other breeds I mentioned have more potencial, to be a serious guard dog and take the king of the canine title from the strong rotties of the past. Now I know some of the breeds I mentioned were breed for different things than rotts but still the question is which breed is the total package for serious guard work. Maybe these less popular breeds hold their true character because they are less popular therfore not be watered down by breeders and keep thier extreme nature. What are some your opinions.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Valued Member

Re: Rottweilers VS. Other Tough Breeds

The dogo and the cane corso were developed as big game hunters. The fila and presa were developed primarily as guardians with the fila also used to track fugitives and the presa as an exterminator of feral dogs. These are guard dogs with working duties. The Rottweiler, on the other hand, was developed originally as a beast of burden and became a drover dog and protector of cattle along the way. A working dog with guard duties.

The emphasis on characteristics is not the same for the Rottweiler as the breeds you are comparing with, so you're comparing apples to oranges. As for the best choice for serious guard work, seems to me it would be the Fila Brasileiro hands down.

I have no idea where you are getting this Rottweiler as "king of the canine" stuff with regard to guard dogs. Rottweilers tend to moonlight as guard dogs, but they have still kept their day job.

I have photos of my great grandparents in Hamburg, Germany in 1899 with a Rottweiler that was their family dog (what a FIND that was!). One photo is the dog sitting with a young girl(my grandmother's older sister I think), her arm wrapped securely around him, another with the dog dressed up in a bib sitting at a table with the same girl and a doll, having a tea party, another laying in the grass with great grandpa Zell seemingly sharing deep thoughts with each other, and another of the dog with my great grandparents and a very young baby (I think my grandmother). Those are real photos of a Rottweiler in 1899 and they certainly are not of "the king of all guard dogs".

Old 12-16-2008, 01:38 AM
Valued Member

You HAVE to share those with us Moondog!

As for which is the best dog...I'd say the one with the temperament AND the training for the job. The fila, dogo, cane corso and presa are rare breeds in Canada so even finding the breed would be an issue here nevermind finding one from an ethical breeder with the right pedigree the right temperament and training.

Owned by:

CRMCH BEAR PCD, CGN, RA, FDCh, CRVCL, CRXT, ATD, HSS, SDS, HTAD1, AADC, AGDC

EPIC NTD, CRNCL, HT

Old 12-16-2008, 01:51 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayoka View Post
You HAVE to share those with us Moondog!
I posted a couple of them when we had the Picture This forum, but quickly had them removed when someone said they might be some of the oldest photos of a Rottweiler......and my understanding of copyright law is that photos older than 70 years are in the public domain. Not sure what I'd have to do to reinstate copyright as they are family photos...but I'd love to post them!!

As for the rare breeds, I imagine there are many in the wrong hands already and finding a reputable breeder would surely be the most important thing (not to mention whether one of those breeds would be biting off more than one could chew to begin with).

Old 12-16-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I posted a couple of them when we had the Picture This forum, but quickly had them removed when someone said they might be some of the oldest photos of a Rottweiler......and my understanding of copyright law is that photos older than 70 years are in the public domain. Not sure what I'd have to do to reinstate copyright as they are family photos...but I'd love to post them!!

As for the rare breeds, I imagine there are many in the wrong hands already and finding a reputable breeder would surely be the most important thing (not to mention whether one of those breeds would be biting off more than one could chew to begin with).
Put a watermark on the photos or a do not copy across them.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Novice Member

Moondog I also think the fila brasileiro would most likely be the best guard dog because it is the only dog to have a genetic in it to hate strangers. No other dogs have this and I know a rott from some of these other breeds are totaly different. But if you look in to their breed discription now not a hundered years ago, it says dogo argentinos, cane corso, are docile and quiet. I dont have any expierence with these dogs so I dont know how well they guard. I know people with pits and they say rotts are alot better at guarding because the pitbulls are to people friendly and thats because they were only supposed to dislike other dogs for dog fighting. But alot would say rotts are the strongset breed. I personally dont know because I have never had these other breeds. I enjoy the rott but am interested in these other breeds.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpanther View Post
Put a watermark on the photos or a do not copy across them.
That's it? I thought I'd have to do something more. I'll see if I can clear it with the powers that be here to post with one of those on them.

OK, I'm officially off topic.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
That's it? I thought I'd have to do something more. I'll see if I can clear it with the powers that be here to post with one of those on them.

OK, I'm officially off topic.
Not sure if that is all you need to do just threw it out,some people do it to keep others from stealing their work or pictures online .Also why would you need to copyright on family photos I have never heard of this.

EDIT: And I realized with this post that I have become a member =)

Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 PM

I was introduced to the Fila almost 20 years ago along with the Dogo. Personally I've yet to meet a Fila I'd waste kibble on. They can be pretty intimidating due to their size but most are back biters. I like Dogos but there are reasons why you never see the types of dogs you listed very often in any type of a controlled venue. Whether that venue is schutzhund, PSA, ASR whatever your discipline they pretty much suck at the work. There will be the occasional breeders that will persevere but the vast majority here in the states are nothing more than pets IMO.
Argus von der Aunkst SchH3,BH,AD

"run fast, bite hard and keep your nose to the ground"

Old 12-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Valued Member

I to have had a bit to do with these and other so called good guarding breeds and have found non of them to be worth anything really in terms of their guarding ability. In my time breeds that are truly capable of doing any serious protection role are the GSD (now days working line only), Rottweilers, Malinois (very few but some), in the past the Doberman (Don't see much anymore), a few American Bulldogs and very, very few Pits. Other than that I have heard about the all concuring breed many, many times but when I go to work them I find them overall lacking. I have lived through at least a dozen of these so called wonder breeds that blow the conventional well known working breeds out of the water and yet find only the few listed above to the worth anything and only a very select few of these breeds I would want to stand behind in a real life situation. For me the GSD and Rott still have the best protection dog capability but only maybe 5% of GSD's and 2-3% of Rotts now days would really have such capabilites. People who have never had to wkr a dog is a serious situation always tell you about their dogs ability to do the job but few have ever seen what it takes for a dog to take on a human threat and think a barking dog is enough. This is why these breeds have such a reputation but when the real deal comes at them they simply lack the strength to do the job.

AS for the "King" rubbish. There is no such dog. It is only horses for courses. For me the Rott is a superior PP dog due to it's combination of size and agility and the GSD & Mal are vaslty superior service dogs due to their agility and stimina.

Mick.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:27 PM

Hey Mick,

I enjoy your knowledge. I have always been curious to hear first hand about the Canis Panther also a new breed from the 80's that supposably can do it all. Have you ever worked with one?

I personally would never get one because I like a proven track record and old school Rotts have that, but I would like to know how much they live up to the reputation.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:07 AM
Valued Member

Kingspear,

I have no real knowledge or experience with this breed and so would not feel comfortable to critic them as what I know is second hand. Personally I am always sceptical as I have seen too many wonder breeds not live up to the reputation in the past and I see almost zero of these breeds working in real life work where a dog either has it or it doesn't and the handlers very existance can be on the line. It is in these venues that you see what dog people choose.

No breed can do it all.

Mick.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Valued Member

EliDogInTraining,

I really like the pedigree of you male "Argus von der Aunkst". The bottom side being line bred on Aki and bringing in Jero and the top being line bred to Noris through Balou but more importantly bring in Aika and Meggy who go so strongly back to Bea von der Hembachbrucke (one of only a few litters to breed to Dingo's strength through the female line which for me brings every bit if not more seriousness with it than Dingo does). I wish you well with him and will be surprised if that whole litter doesn't work at least to some degree.

Mick.