Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Working Rottweilers
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Working Rottweilers Therapy, Schutzhund, Agility, Carting, Obedience, Personal Protection, Herding, Flyball, Dock Jumping, if it has to do with Working Topics, lets post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 03:17 PM

How to build muscle?

my rott is real lean and i was curious is there was a "safe" way of helping him build up some muscle on his chest and neck. He looks nice but i think if i could get some muscle with a little definition he would look awesome. any suggestions?

Old 08-04-2008, 05:28 PM

Re: How to build muscle?

Swimming ! That works everything and as very little wear and tear on joints. I judge told me that buying a harness and letting the dog pull around a tire really helps build muscle. There are all sorts of things on the market to build up a dog. Pitbull guys use the stuff to build muscle. I'd stay away from that stuff iff you run into any unless you ask your vet what harm it may do.

Don't know how old your dog is but some just need time to grow natural. Rottweilers fill out well after two years old. I have a female who got LARGE but not untill she was 3 years old. Depends on your dog.

Don't forget a good diet

Old 08-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Valued Member

There is a pretty decent book about conditioning your dog called "Peak Performance: Coaching the Canine Athlete" by M. Christine Zink that you might find helpful.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:41 PM

thanks, i was looking into the weighted vest but thought that would be alot of stress on joints/hips he's about 18 months. right now i'm feeding Evo red meat large bites. he gets 4 cups a day i used the calculator on their website and they reccomended 3 1/2 cups but he's pretty active, i didn't think a extra 1/2 a cup would do to much harm. i haven't seen any weight increases for a good six months. he's an american rott and weighs 85lbs

Old 08-07-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
thanks, i was looking into the weighted vest but thought that would be alot of stress on joints/hips he's about 18 months. right now i'm feeding Evo red meat large bites. he gets 4 cups a day i used the calculator on their website and they reccomended 3 1/2 cups but he's pretty active, i didn't think a extra 1/2 a cup would do to much harm. i haven't seen any weight increases for a good six months. he's an american rott and weighs 85lbs
Good thinking. I think swimming is about the best exercise and safest. What were the parents like? Did you ask the breeder for info also? My boy Shane is 3 and a half, and he is STILL filling out. Do you get the USRC magazine? I wrote an article for the last issue on how I condition him.
Skip- USRC Select '07, Multi V1, Multi Select Youth Male Redwood Krest's Shane BH,AD,OB1,SchH/VPG3,IPO3,BST (b.12/02/04) OFA Hips good, Elbows clear,Heart Normal-Cardiologist,Eyes Good, CHIC#39947

Old 08-07-2008, 05:05 PM

i'm not really sure my brother bought him from a breeder not sure who it was and he lost his papers... i don't know where to look at.... i don't get that magazine but i will look into getting it. he's finally grown into his legs and his body looks proportional. he's so goofy looking i really don't think he looks scary enough. i'm hoping his looks keeps people away. if not hopefully im home! i'll get some pics of him tonight maybe you can give me some input on how he looks... this is my first rott. been trying to do as much research as possible i feel i'm pretty educated on them. but you can never know to much.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
i'm not really sure my brother bought him from a breeder not sure who it was and he lost his papers... i don't know where to look at.... i don't get that magazine but i will look into getting it. he's finally grown into his legs and his body looks proportional. he's so goofy looking i really don't think he looks scary enough. i'm hoping his looks keeps people away. if not hopefully im home! i'll get some pics of him tonight maybe you can give me some input on how he looks... this is my first rott. been trying to do as much research as possible i feel i'm pretty educated on them. but you can never know to much.
I don't understand this? Are you trying to have people be afraid of your dog by the way he looks?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Novice Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam8065 View Post
I don't understand this? Are you trying to have people be afraid of your dog by the way he looks?
Maybe not scary, but i hope my boy is intimidating enough so that someone wouldn't enter my house uninvited.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:37 PM

On the same, yet slightly different topic, I took my pup (5 months) swimming this past week. It was a lake, so even though there were waves, they weren't dramatic.

Anyways, he was hesitant at first, but eventually he went in and attempted to swim. Now I say attempted because even though he was doing the doggie paddle, he kept going under a few times. I got a little scared and just kept him in the shallow end the rest of the day, which he enjoyed.

Are rotties bad swimmers?

Old 08-08-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjd View Post
Maybe not scary, but i hope my boy is intimidating enough so that someone wouldn't enter my house uninvited.
exactly he is far from a vicious dog, very nice and sweet. just want him to appear intimidating. to keep uninvited people at bay. most people see a rott and watch them to see how they are goin to approach them... jeffery will run up to you and sit so you can pet him. if you don't know him you'd think he's coming after you. he does not do this to kids he'll trot up to a kid hanging his head low in a submissive way so they won't be afraid. most people dont make it past the mouth (looking at them) if they noticed his tail wagging like crazy i'd be in trouble.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
he's about 18 months
Give him time to grow up. As others have said, they fill out, generally, after the second or third birthday. The last male dog I had increased a collar size after his fourth year: He really put on the mass in his neck, shoulders and chest. However, having an athletic, energetic dog can be a good visual deterrent to people, too. Which would you be more concerned about: An immense, lumbering dog that can't get it's weight around and only moves at a snail's pace or a trim, fit, athletic dog that has a lot of speed? If caught in a yard, I'd worry more about the zippy dog.

In the end, swimming, road work, hill climbing, and genetics will give muscularity. But, you don't want to go crazy with a youngish dog. Just as with humans, work into an exercise regimen gradually and be very observant on how the dog is handling the work.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
On the same, yet slightly different topic, I took my pup (5 months) swimming this past week. It was a lake, so even though there were waves, they weren't dramatic.

Anyways, he was hesitant at first, but eventually he went in and attempted to swim. Now I say attempted because even though he was doing the doggie paddle, he kept going under a few times. I got a little scared and just kept him in the shallow end the rest of the day, which he enjoyed.

Are rotties bad swimmers?
From what I've heard and seen, some are good swimmers (and LIKE to swim), others not so much.

When Missy was doing some pool therapy for her arthritis, the therapist put a doggie life vest on her. She still had to swim, but her energy got directed to just swimming, and not working harder just to stay afloat. I'd suggest you get one of those for your boy to make him feel more secure, before he starts being afraid of the water because he has a hard time staying above it.

I remember the therapist saying he had worked with two Rotties once that were littermates. One liked to swim and was good at it, the other hated it. I didn't know when I took her there whether Missy had ever been in a pool. He concluded after the first time that if she had ever been swimming before. "it was not her idea" . As time went on though, he concluded that she was a very good swimmer, even as a senior dog with arthritis. And yes, it is very good exercise, low stress on joints.

Forever my special angels.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferg View Post
Give him time to grow up. As others have said, they fill out, generally, after the second or third birthday. The last male dog I had increased a collar size after his fourth year: He really put on the mass in his neck, shoulders and chest. However, having an athletic, energetic dog can be a good visual deterrent to people, too. Which would you be more concerned about: An immense, lumbering dog that can't get it's weight around and only moves at a snail's pace or a trim, fit, athletic dog that has a lot of speed? If caught in a yard, I'd worry more about the zippy dog.

In the end, swimming, road work, hill climbing, and genetics will give muscularity. But, you don't want to go crazy with a youngish dog. Just as with humans, work into an exercise regimen gradually and be very observant on how the dog is handling the work.
i don't want him to look like he's on roids of something, i would like to see a little definition on his chest/neck area. his neck is pretty wide already but nothing wlse is. i forgot to get some pics of him.. i'll make sure i get some tonight.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:05 PM

i would have to say it is the same way as we humans do it.

lots of food, exercise, and the key ingredient REST!
swimming or wading in water is the best and the safest for their joints. i was viewing something on the discovery channel and they have this massive horse rehab down in Ten to which the pure breed race horses are treated better than the common man. hydro water treatment, open range pens, etc

at the bridge:
Bobo Dec. 2005 - Jul 2007. he now fears no more!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 AM

thanks for all the info, i guess for now our walks willl have to do. i'll see if i can't get him swimming........probably not but i'' be all wet!! maybe a little more time is all he really neeeds.