Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Working Rottweilers
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Working Rottweilers Therapy, Schutzhund, Agility, Carting, Obedience, Personal Protection, Herding, Flyball, Dock Jumping, if it has to do with Working Topics, lets post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Valued Member

Around The Clock method of Scent Discrimination

Has anyone used this method or seen the video by Janice DeMello? It was recommended to me, and since our club's copy is M.I.A., I'm thinking of purchasing my own.

Old 11-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Valued Member

Re: Around The Clock method of Scent Discrimination

If you've never heard of this before, what method do you use to teach scent articles?

Old 11-04-2004, 02:14 PM

I know of several people who have used, and like, this method. As we haven't progressed that far yet, I haven't tried any methods. I do know that my coach does not like tie-down boards. Other than that, I'm not sure what we're going to be doing. Still working on the retreive, once that is solid, we'll move to articles and gloves.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Valued Member

Rocco will be starting this in class soon but I've never seen it actually taught. Everyone who is up to articles is training not introducing. All I ever see them do is rubbing the articles solidly for about a minute in their hands prior to them being placed. I don't know what training preceded that.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:35 PM

O come on Patty.........it's scent discrimination. No training preceeded it, they just use their noses! Sheesh!

Kidding!!!

Old 11-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Valued Member

One of my favorite OB books, "Competitive Obedience: A Balancing Act" by Adele and Yunck, recommends the video in their section on scent articles. The lady who recommended it to me is on her 7th Utility Doberman, and she said she switched to this method after her 4th dog and she'll never go back. I guess I'll order it because it's an 8 week program and I'll want to watch it multiple times.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Valued Member

I used the tie-down method with Sajan. Has worked well so far
Mora '09 IFR TEAM,'09 NA OB Champ,4X Sch/VPG3,2X IPO3,FH1,BH,AD,OB3,CGC
Multi-V1, SA'09,SY'07 Force SchH3,BST,AD,BH,CGC

Old 11-04-2004, 02:57 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRott
O come on Patty.........it's scent discrimination. No training preceeded it, they just use their noses! :
LOL! Well, geez.... I said we hadn't gotten there yet!! Haha! If that's the case, Rocco should be a star at this!!

Old 11-04-2004, 03:05 PM

I have that book too and really enjoy it! May have to add the video to my Xmas list.

Old 11-04-2004, 03:11 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRott
May have to add the video to my Xmas list.

Well, I just ordered it, so I'll let you know if it's good! I just dropped a couple hundred on articles and the video was $54, but now I have my eye on these cool article bags: Clouds & Company article bags. Check out the Rottie in a play bow!

Old 11-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Valued Member

I started Misty with the tie-down method. It was an utter failure. Because she didn't understand what was expected, she would occasionally try to pick up a tied down article. She got to the point where she wouldn't even go near a dumbbell shaped object. I had to go to a competely different size/shape of articles for utility. She will now retrieve her open dumbbell, but not utility article dumbbells.
How I "retrained" Misty:
I took one of the articles and just tossed it a short distance and had her retrieve it. It was just a fun game of fetch. If she held her sit, then I would send her, but I didn't tell her to stay- just fun, fun, fun. After she had that game nailed, I switched to the metal article and had more fun. Once she was 100% reliable doing a fun retrieve, I then went on to two article.
Out of sight of Misty, I would carefully place an unscented article out (start with metal). I would get Misty and toss the leather article near the metal one. If Misty started to go for the metal one, I would neutrally verbally correct her and encourage her to "find it". Repeat the same fun game of fetch with the metal article out there.
The next day I would repeat, but play fetch with the metal article instead. Did this for about 2 weeks. I then introduced an unscented article of the same type as the scented one. Before we played fetch with the leather with the unscented metal laying around or vis-a-versa. Now there is both unscented metal and leather out there. Repeat for a week or so. Every week, introduce another unscented article to the area. I kept these training sessions short- 5-10 minutes max.
When she was very reliable, I started with making it more formal. I would place an unscented metal and a scented leather 6 inches apart. I would bring Misty in and then send her from about 10 feet away. If she picked up the metal, I would gentlely correct and encourage the scented one. Did that for a few days, alternating between metal and leather. I then added one more to the group, etc, etc.
This is all very fun, with lots of praise and good treats for a job well done. It was also done in less then 10 minutes at a time. If she stalled out, I went back a step. Once she was reliable, I added in the turn. I then asked husband or friends to help out as the articles will be handled by the steward so there will be a scent on them.
I hope this is clear enough for you to understand.
Francis
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD

Old 11-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbkeays
Because she didn't understand what was expected
This is what has struck me about the tie down method! It seems like there isn't any really clear teaching to it, it's kind of hit or miss and hoping your dog figures out what you mean. At least that's the impression I've gotten, but I could be totally wrong!

Old 11-04-2004, 03:35 PM

That's the impression that I've gotten also. IF I can't figure a method out, HOW am I going to explain it to a dog???

Old 11-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miabella
This is what has struck me about the tie down method! It seems like there isn't any really clear teaching to it, it's kind of hit or miss and hoping your dog figures out what you mean. At least that's the impression I've gotten, but I could be totally wrong!
I was asking these same question of my "elders" in class and I was assured that it worked and there would be no problems. I guess they never trained a dog as smart or thinking as a rottweiler (goldens, shelties, BC, etc). Misty thought she was being corrected by the article and decided that she didn't like to play this game any more. Misty now loves doing articles. Her articles are WWII leather ammo pouches and Spam cans with the opening bent closed so it is like a triangle. Set of 8 articles- $28 and hubby ate the spam for breakfast.
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD

Old 11-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbkeays
Her articles are WWII leather ammo pouches and Spam cans with the opening bent closed so it is like a triangle. Set of 8 articles- $28 and hubby ate the spam for breakfast.
Brilliant!!