Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Working Rottweilers
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Working Rottweilers Therapy, Schutzhund, Agility, Carting, Obedience, Personal Protection, Herding, Flyball, Dock Jumping, if it has to do with Working Topics, lets post it here!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2000, 06:42 AM
Novice Member

Bite Strength of the Rottweiler

Is it true that the Rottweiler has the hardest bite in the canine world? Is it harder than that of dogs such as the Pitt Bull and Bull Mastiff?

Old 07-10-2000, 07:54 AM

2400 pounds of pressure per square inch, double that of the German Shepherd. 1500 pounds per square inch is equal to the pressure on the bottom of a broomstick that’s weighted down by a Volkswagen Beetle.

Old 07-10-2000, 09:35 AM

K9-man,

Where did you get that information from? How the test was done? How accurate and reliable was? What was the size of the sample?... The reason I am asking is because I have taken many bites from different Rottweilers, and not all bites are powerful. Some Rottweilers bites are weak, some just nip, some have shallow bites, some are deep and powerful, some won't even bite! So I think that your statement is quite an over generalization; it is the same as saying a man can bench press more than 700 pounds... yeah right, but how many men can really do that?

I have to tell though, do not underestimate the powerful bites of the mastiff, bull, and terrier breeds. I can assure you, there are some breeds out there that will give you a "run for your money"... Of course, the Rottweiler is my favorite breed, but again, I don't undermine other capable breeds in the working and performance canine field

Old 07-10-2000, 09:37 AM

There is no scientific way to measure the biting force of any breed. There is no way that a GSD has only half the biting force of a Rotty. I have done helper work for GSD's that have bitten every bit as hard as a Rotty.

This misconception comes from the style of different breeds, and how they do protection work. Rotties tend to bite, and drop their weight. Now, besides fighting, you have to "wrestle" with over a hundred lbs of dog.

GSD'd don't usually do this. They will bite hard, and stand "Toe to toe" with you.

Hard biting comes from a combination of sound genetics, and good training.

Old 07-10-2000, 10:04 AM

German and Czech...right on the money.

Old 07-10-2000, 10:22 AM

All I know is that it hurts!

Old 07-10-2000, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by czechrott:
Thats the problem. Anyone can write a book. These, I'm sure, are estimates that are based upon some flawed logic.
Second that motion!... and that's how myths are created

Old 07-10-2000, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by czechrott:
... I do have an arm that for last 15 years has had every make & model of dog latched onto it (With protection, of course). The top 3 single dogs that have caused me the most pain from bite force are a GSD, a Rotty, and a Giant Schnauser...
In my personal case I had a particular Bullmastiff (Nero), an American Bandog Mastiff (Bandit), a Giant Schnauzer (Etzel), and a Neapolitan mastiff (Capo), that left unforgetable "impressions" on me ... but still I stick to my overall utility performance working Rottweiler, as my very favorite protection dog

Old 07-10-2000, 11:19 PM
Valued Member

I to find that the pressure of the bite is dependant on the individual dog giving it and not it's breed. The hardest bite I have taken was from a Rotti. He was clearly harder than the others. But then I have some really hard biting GSD's, Dobermann, mastiff breed, APBTs etc etc etc. Also some very soft bites from all the same breeds.

How hard the dog bites is largly dependant on his brain, not his brawn.

Mick.

Old 07-11-2000, 12:09 AM

Rottweilers Volume 2 1998-99. From The Editors Of Dog Fancy Magazine.
Page 106 Quote: “Pound for Pound, the Rottie Is probably the strongest of dogs, armed with a scissors bite that delivers 2,400 pounds of pressure per square inch, double that of the German Shepherd”.

The Return Of The Wolf by Steve Grooms.
Page 55 states that “Wolves exert a bite pressure of 1500 pounds per square inch-twice that of a German Shepherd”.

So the German Shepherd has a bite pressure of allegedly 750 to1200 pounds per square inch, which might be true depending on the particular dog.
I would guess that 2400-psi figure is a little high. It’s probably more around the 1,500-psi range.
Neither publication said how these figures were obtained.

Old 07-11-2000, 12:31 AM

German, didn't you say before there was some type of meter, a Dynamometer I believe, that calculates pressure exerted by a grip (or bite), and the Rottweiler bite was about 1400psi?

Old 07-11-2000, 12:44 AM

Thats the problem. Anyone can write a book. These, I'm sure, are estimates that are based upon some flawed logic.

Wolves do have a powerful bite. It is necessary for them to survive in the wild. It is the result of having to use their bite to bring prey down. It is learned through practical application. The sport or PP dogs develope a hard bite through artificial means.

There is anatomical differences, ie. head shape, muscle size around the jaw. These differences are also debated. Rotties have smaller muzzles, with well muscled jaws. GSD types have a longer muzzle. It can be argued that the GSD's have a mechanical advantage (leverage) over the Rotty types, which can exert more biting pressure.

I'll admit I have no scientific formula to measure the bite force. I do have an arm that for last 15 years has had every make & model of dog latched onto it (With protection, of course). The top 3 single dogs that have caused me the most pain from bite force are a GSD, a Rotty, and a Giant Schnauser. There was a PP trained St. Bernard that was pretty bad too. I was even willing to try a Cougar, but the owner wasn't sure he would just bite the sleeve!

Old 07-11-2000, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mick Trainer:

How hard the dog bites is largly dependant on his brain, not his brawn.

Mick.
Right again Mick

Old 07-11-2000, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fergy:
German, didn't you say before there was some type of meter, a Dynamometer I believe, that calculates pressure exerted by a grip (or bite), and the Rottweiler bite was about 1400psi?
Yes I did. The sample was taken 3 years ago on one Rottweiler only and four other breeds. Reading varied to a considerable degree from bite to bite, so an arithmetic median was tabulated. Therefore, the sample was less than scientific. Again, in order for the test to be acceptable, it has to be conducted extensively with a high number of dogs to get a more reliable and accurate statistical median, since bite strength varies so much from individual dog to individual dog. I know so from personal experience. Besides, I doubt that at an alleged 2400 psi the Rottweiler's bite is supposed to be stronger than a Great White shark!

Old 07-13-2000, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by German Vanegas:
I doubt that at an alleged 2400 psi the Rottweiler's bite is supposed to be stronger than a Great White shark!
Never underestimate the power of your beloved Rottie.

Closed Thread