Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 06:59 PM

Eye problems

My 3 year old has developed watery eyes with a thick white goop coming out of them from time to time. In the past her vet said that she has allergies and given us eye drops for her. She has pawed at one eye so badly that the hair around it is gone, and it swells up. I am taking her to her vet in the morning. We have given her benadryl and it helped some, but not enough. We put an e-coller on her and she started breathing real shallow, and shaking. So, the coller is out. I am just wondering if any one else has been through the eye issue with their rott.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:21 PM

Re: Eye problems

It does sound like an allergy - I would ask your vet to refer you to an opthalmologist though - you never know there could be something in the eye? AND if so you don't wnat to use anything (like steroids) that may do damage or iritate it worse if the eye or cornea is scratched or damaged.
Go see an eye doctor.
To help in the meantime I would use a clean cold face cloth and hold it over the eye, simple artificial tears eye drops - ONLY. and do that at least twice a day morning and evening - if you can try 3 times a day adding afternoon.
But definitely go to the eye doctor.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:07 PM

Well, yesterday we went to the vet. He checked her tear production and for objects in her eyes. No scratches on her eye. He used a special light to check. We now have to put antibiotic and steroid drops in her eyes, plus the benadryl that we were already giving her. If she does not improve in a week, we go back for a prescription antihistamine, and maybe stronger eye drops. After using the new drops we saw an immediate improvement.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:26 PM

Good! Glad to hear it. Hopefully it clears up and doesn't come back. Let us know how it is in a few days. Curious how it turns out. Was it too early for the vet to give a confirmed diagnosis?

Attitude? No, I don't have an "attitude." It's called a "Rottweiler."

Old 09-20-2011, 03:17 PM

She is still having the same problem. It came right back to the same level is was before. I have been told to try a wheat free dog food and see if that helps. Starting her on it tonight. I just got True Blue from the pet store. They said it is one of the best. I just hope that my picky girl will eat it.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeaton9021
...I just got True Blue from the pet store. They said it is one of the best. I just hope that my picky girl will eat it.
Your dog could well be a picky eater because of you.

Her goopy eyes may be related to the fact the food you've been feeding her is chock full of items that dogs don't digest well and shouldn't be fed in any quantities.

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011

Old 09-23-2011, 12:35 PM

We have made the switch to Blue, and she is eating it. We have gone grain free totally. Not even her treats contain grain. She is doing much better, but still needs her Benadryl twice a day. We will just keep giving her Blue, and continue following up with her vet.

Thank you all for the advice!!