Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 01:26 AM

Vomiting Problem

We've been having some problems with our 9 month old puppy vomiting. She's going in to the Vet's again this week, but I'd thought I'd describe the symptoms and see if anybody has any ideas.

I'll start out by telling you her diet:

Taste of the Wild Prairie 2 cups at 10:30 am and 2 cups at 6:30 pm (since 4-5 months old).
4-6 Brewers yeast and garlic tablets at first feeding (since 3 months old).
2 Fish oil tablets at second feeding (since 6 months old).
1 teaspoon of Metamucil at each feeding mixed with plain yogurt (since 4-5 months old).
4-10 small pieces of turkey franks for treats throughout the day (since 8 weeks).
1-3 raw beef femur bones a month (since 4 months).

At the end of October Bella started throwing up. It seemed to be about 2-3 hours after she had eaten, mainly in the evenings. I was at work most of the time and my wife was the one who saw it. It typically would have a piece of food or two and would be a combination of clear liquid and milky white, sometimes foamy, liquid. After a couple of days we took her into the Vet on November 1. The Vet thought it was stomach irritation and recommended giving her a 10 mg Pecid tablet prior to eating. However that day after seeing the Vet, she didn't throw up. I got the Pepcid at the store the next day, but didn't give it to her to see if she didn't throw up that day either. She didn't. So we went a month without her throwing up without using the Pepcid.

Then a couple of days ago she starts throwing up again and it seems to be in the same way. We start giving her the Pepcid and we don't observe her throwing up for the next two days. On the third day the vomiting comes back and the same thing the day after.

The on again off again nature along with the fact that for the most part she has been had the same diet for a substantial period which she had no problems makes it hard to pinpoint the cause of the problem. She doesn't appear to be in any pain. Her appetite is unchanged. The last week it does seem that her energy level is slightly lower than usual, but only slightly. She still plays during her usual times and sleeps at her usual times. If there is another dog to play with or she is a walk, she will keep going as long as the other dog or you will let her. She did began her first heat right around the time she started vomiting again, but I haven't ever heard of this being a factor.

I'm aware the next step is probably changing her diet which I will confirm with the Vet this week, I'm looking for any other explanations anybody might have.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:40 AM

Re: Vomiting Problem

Did the new vomiting start when you opened a new bag of food by any chance?

From what I read, she's not throwing up her entire stomach contents, but just a little bit and foamy stuff? Morgen does this almost daily, just spits up a little. Just a few pieces of food and white foam. Always shortly after drinking a load of water then back to running around. It used to freak me out, but he seems really healthy, figure it's just his tummy's way of rebelling after taking in a lot of water.

Morgen Vom Haus Norton (7-21-09)
Gesta Vom Blaurasen (12-10-05)
~~~
Gheita(Dobe) 83-95
Bear 86-97
Abbey 91-95
Sara 95-03
Jackson 95-99
Kai 94-03
Marshall 00-10
Lambie Pie ?? to 11

Old 12-06-2010, 03:49 AM

Actually I did notice that most recent episode corresponded to the start of a new bag of food and was wondering if there was enough variation in the ingredients from bag to bag of the same food that might be causing the problem.

Bella did have a spell were she would drink a ton of water and then throw up, but she seemed to learn not to drink too much and if we notice her drinking for more than a certain time we usually stop her and make her wait to drink more. We haven't noticed water drinking being in proximity to the vomiting which has occurred lately.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:18 AM

Roxie used to vomit all the time when I was feeding her once/day. We then moved her feeding times 10-12 hours apart. It stopped. What we figured was when she had an empty stomach, her nyla bone was causing her to have an upset stomach. She loves that dang bone and chews it a lot and very hard. What kind of toys does she chew on, if any? Maybe it's the other ingredients that could be not agreeing with her tummy.