Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 08:14 PM

Anal Gland Removal Surgery

Just wondering if anyone out there has had their Rotties anal glands removed?

We had our girls glands removed and I was curious on the recovery time? The Vet said it would be rough for 10days as the healing process is in it's most intense stage but he did not comment on how long till she would be fully recovered.

Just curious if anyone has had experience with this?

Old 10-03-2010, 11:24 PM

Re: Anal Gland Removal Surgery

I am so sorry you had to go through this. I hear it can be a very touchy surgery.

About 3 years ago Dude had one anal gland rupture. About a month later the other one did the same. I remember it was not fun for him poor guy and took awhile for them to heal.

In speaking with my vet he said that recovery if the glands needed to be removed was generally 3-4 weeks.

We never had to go that route and he's never had an issue since.

I am hoping that your girl heals quickly.

Just a few questions.

When speaking to my vet about the surgery... I wanted to know worst case scenerio. he said that there can be issues after with loss of bowl control. He also mentioned the age of the dog as far as recovery time goes. I gather from him that this is one of those really last resort type surgeries.

I know it's not a common problem with larger dogs, so if you wouldn't mind sharing why it wasn't an option to express them regularly. I am not trying to sound like this is what you should have done, just having a dog that at one time had anal gland issues I am quite curious.

**We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. Immanuel Kant

Old 10-04-2010, 01:58 AM

How long ago was it since your girl had hers removed ?
Like Harleychik I have no personal experience, but from the little I seem to remember, it's a procedure which is left as a last resort, I don't know what your vet has told you, or the history of the case, so I'm interested to hear the background.
(trying not to sound insensitive here, just wanting to learn).
Alison

Old 10-04-2010, 05:40 PM

Well, it was a last resort for us...

Izzy is going to be 3 years old this month. We noticed, especially this past year, that she was constantly licking her rear end. I thought it was a "hot spot", but the vet said it wasn't, then we thought allergies- switched her food and everything and the vet said it wasn't. Eventually we learned she was simply expressing her glands herself. It got so frequent the past 2 months that she was leaving spots all over the house and our carpeting was starting to come up. So I took her in about a month ago and they expressed her glands at the vet, they said they were rather full. I was confused on why since I get them done every time I get her groomed which is every 3-4 weeks. After taking her to the vet we noticed we had to start wiping her rear end every time after she pooped...and it started getting bloody. I took her back in with a stool sample and the vet said her glands were impacted...we were just there 2 days ago! We were sent home with med's and after 10 days she was cleared up. The vet suggested bringing her in every 2 weeks so they could express her glands more frequently...hopefully to ease the constant licking...so we brought her in. 2 days after we got them expressed...same thing...bloody stool. Took her back in and same thing- impacted glands.

We had the surgery last Monday. It has been extremely rough. I was warned about the loss of the bowl muscle control but was advised that the specific problem, in most cases, is short term and would clear up (if it happens at all) when her anal muscles get stronger again and are not as sore. She has been leaking some blood/puss from the rear end but it has seemed to clear up as of today. She was on 2 different pain med's and a tranqualizer to calm her down.

The vet said it would be 10 days of hell...and it has been. I originally bought the diapers for the larger dogs... the one's that you would use when the female dogs are in heat...so I didn't have to put the cone on her and they didn't work 100%. She was still licking the area like crazy and when I left her alone for 1 hour she got the diaper off and partially opened the one side of her rear end. So I resorted to putting the cone PLUS the diaper...the diaper mainly because of the leaking puss/blood. Today is the first day of having the diaper off and I havn't had to constantly get her head out of her rear end. I would say she is healing nicely and she seems to be comfortable now...well, she still hates the cone but I am not taking that off till after we see the vet on Thursday!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:51 PM

Yes, that certainly does sound like it warrents a last resort measure :(
I hope she continues to improve.
I would leave the collar on her too if there's the slightest chance she will open up the stitches, I imagine around that area there's not a lot of 'spare' skin for the vet if they needed to be re-stitched.
"Roll on Thursday" I bet your saying, and I certainly understand why !!

Old 10-04-2010, 07:20 PM

Thanks for explaining. Yes, it does indeed sound last resort. Did the vet have any idea why in such a young dog? I can't imagine it is very common.

I am hoping the healing process goes extremely well for Izzy.

I know from when Duder's ruptured that it was not fun. Like you said a bit of blood and puss. We were able to soak with a warm cloth several times a day. Per the vet. I'm sure you can't do that with stitches. Dude also had pain meds. I can only imagine how painful it really must be. I didn't have to use a cone with Dude, but I swear he moped for the whole time it took to heal.

Here's hoping everything goes extremely well on Thursday.

Please update and let us know how she is doing and how the rest of the recovery process goes.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:17 PM

At the vet hospitals that I worked at over the years we expressed any animals anal glands that went under anesthesia. At one of the hospitals we had a lot of the dogs coming back. After these animals woke up and went home they almost always came back with their anal glands not expressing when they pooped. A few came back with chronic impacted glands. Once anal glands had to be expressed constantly (every few weeks) we ended up removing the glands because of the chronic infections. The doctors decided to stop the protocol of expressing the anal glands and the problems stopped. Because of this I always tell people to not get their dog's anal glands expressed unless there is already a problem. I tell people to not let groomers express the glands also. The constant expressing seemed to cause more problems.

I'm sorry for your girl having to go through this. It seems to be the most painful surgery for dogs. Recovery takes about 4wks but the pain can last that long. Look for any oozing out from her rear end and watch out for excessive swelling. Keep her confined for at least a week because scooting (to try to relieve pain/itchiness) can cause a lot of damage to the surgery sites. Good luck and if you have any concerns don't hesitate to call your vet.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:27 PM

I certainly agree with Tigerpaw that once you start doing anal glands it seems to make them go into overtime. But to get impacted, not merely full, so quickly is indeed bizarre. I never do mine (dogs :) unless there is an issue. I used to be a groomer and we never did them unless we had to. Certainly not something I'd recommend as a regular part of grooming.
Alison

Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 PM

Well, thought I would give you all an update... Since I have posted this message Izzy has improved 110%!! I couldn't be happier with the results! No loss of bowel control what-so-ever either! It was pretty rough for about 10-12 days but she is great now!!

Thank you all for the input on my topic!

Old 10-24-2010, 09:08 PM

I was just thinking about you and Izzy the other day and wondering how everything was going.

So glad to hear the surgery and healing went exactly like they were supposed to.

Thank you for the update.

You know I do have one question. Since we never needed the surgery I never thought to ask the vet. Was there a special or different diet Izzy had to be on while she healed or was it her normal food?

Old 10-24-2010, 10:14 PM

Oh thank you for sharing the good news
So often we're left wondering what the outcome was.
This is great to hear

Old 10-25-2010, 09:47 PM

Harleychik-

Izzy's vet did the surgery... I am not sure if there is a special vet or not for this specific surgery but our vet said that they could do it there. We were luck I guess :)