Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 06:38 PM

Something in her throat ?

Apologies, yet another post from me !

I am worried Shoeless may have something stuck in her throat. I have checked as best I can and can't feel anything but she is occasionally gagging and obviously trying to dislodge something. A couple of times she has brought up a tiny bit of bile. A couple of days ago she did eat some grass and was sick but it didn't happen again so I put it down to a normal doggy off day

So far she is eating but not in her normal way, she doesn't dash to eat, but eats in little stages. Her poo this morning was normal although she hasn't been pooing as many times as she usually does

At the moment I feel we should have a season ticket to see the vet, so I don't want to be pestering her again if it is something which may work itself out

I guess I just wanted to ask at what point I should be really concerned

Old 09-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Ancient Valued Member

Re: Something in her throat ?

maybe she has kennel cough (canine tracheobronchitis)

I would call your vet and say she is gagging and maybe has that or a foreign body and maybe they will let you come right in to check
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 09-17-2010, 06:46 PM

Thanks frontierrots for your quick response ! It started about a week after she came back rather than her having it when we picked her up. Also she had her injection for kennel cough. So I am thinking maybe more likely something in her throat ?

Old 09-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Valued Member

There are many strains of kennel cough and the vaccination only works on a few of them. So don't discount that.
How's her eye issue coming along ?
Alison

Old 09-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Ancient Valued Member

there are more than 100 strains of kennel cough with incubation ranging from 3-14 days. Some of the most aggressive cases are those picked up from a recently vaccinated dog that has developed vaccine induced kennel cough

She could have been exposed to an infected dog the DAY you picked her up or up to a week before then

or

she could have something in her throat
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 09-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Valued Member

Instead of second guessing here, just take Shoeless to the vet to find out. I rather be safe then sorry. Either way, an antibotic for the kennel cough if that's it or xrays maybe needed to see if it's an obstruction.

In otherwords, you need the vet no matter what! Keep us posted.

BTW, I love her name!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 PM

Thank you everyone, I am not too familiar with the symptoms of kennel cough so I will do a bit of reading on that so I can familiarise myself. I will speak to the vet anyway. I had noticed a slight wheezing, more in her sleep, but you do start to question if you are putting more emphasis on things because you are worried. As I said her behaviour seems quite normal apart from the eating and pooing. But because of the other things, you don't know if that is a contributory factor to how she is feeling

Her eyes are about the same Alison, she just started her meds today so keeping a close eye on that too - thanks for asking

Old 09-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Ancient Valued Member

here's an older ABKA brochure on canine Cough http://fidosfunhouse.com/ABKA%20Cani...20Brochure.pdf
Itsy

Old 09-17-2010, 10:57 PM

my dog had kennel cough at 3 am on the night of an ice storm. I was calling every emer vet around, I thought he was getting bloat. Luckily one vet tech heard him gag over phone and said it was probably kennel cough. I was okay with that and waited till our vet opened and it was. My dog was vaccinated also. Think of kennel cough vaccine like the flu shot. The wheezing would concern me though as whatever it was if anything could be obstructing the airway so I would definately get to vet either way.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:05 AM

Thank you again. I have been reading some articles on the symptoms of kennel cough and it does sound likely. One thing I thought a little odd was that a couple of times today I have caught her sitting out in the hot sun which she hardly ever does. Reading that there could be a fever makes me wonder if she was feeling cold, hence sitting in the heat ? Either way, I am off to the vet first thing. I know there are members currently battling with much more serious health issues in their dogs, (and my heart really goes out to them). It's so upsetting, our poor girl, it seems if it is not one thing it is something else. I wonder if she has a problem with her immune system which is why she seems to be picking up all these things. I will give an update as soon as I have news

Thank you all so much, just having people to share issues with is such a help

Old 09-18-2010, 09:31 AM

We had a really bad night with Shoeless, she was bringing up lots of phlegm/bile and coughing/gagging, she was also wheezing a lot. It broke my heart to see her in obvious discomfort, I lay down with her to try and comfort her a bit. I couldn't help crying thinking about her poor little body under more attack

Today she hasn't eaten, just little bits of sausage fed by hand, she isn't drinking much so we are trying to encourage her to drink. She is just lying in the corner and her breathing is quite laboured

I went to the vet as early as I could (with big red puffy eyes !) I left Shoeless at home, simply because if it is kennel cough I understand it is contagious. Our vets office is situated within a pet shop which has puppies, the shop is also a grooming parlour. I would feel terrible if we took something to other dogs

Our vet is just so lovely, she could see I was very upset - she tried to put my mind at rest and said she would come to the house as soon as she finishes work, around lunchtime. I didn't want to stress Shoeless any more than she is already by putting her in the car, or having to walk her during the hottest part of the day (albeit a very short walk)

As soon as we have more news I will post again - once again thank you for the support

Last edited by eminbrasil; 09-18-2010 at 09:38 AM.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Valued Member

I hope it's nothing more than kennel cough and that it can be taken care of easily. Poor girl, she can't seem to get some rest. I'll be waiting for the update this afternoon. What a stressful week for both of you! I hope you two will be able to get some rest after this!!

Old 09-18-2010, 11:52 AM

Yes she could have a fever with kennel cough, and it does make the phlegm really thick. Please update us asap.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Valued Member

Poor Shoeless, please let us know what the vet reckons.
I know Kennel Cough can be really rough on some dogs, I suppose it depends on the dog and the strain of KC. My only (personal) experience has been very mild.
Give Shoeless my love
Alison

Old 09-18-2010, 03:19 PM

Thank you everyone for your concern. Shoeless is currently in the hospital. It was horrible leaving her there but we know it is the best place for her right now. Our normal vet came and wasn't keen on what she saw so immediately recommended we take her in, so she can be kept under observation. The other vet did say there had been an outbreak of kennel cough locally, and he could hear fluid on her chest

We were just so proud of our girl. You could see the look on the staffs faces when a Rottweiler came in (people are very scared of them here ?!). The staff could not believe what a softy she was, it was a proud moment to see the look on their faces after 5 minutes of being with her. She was incredible when they put the line in, both the staff commented on how fab she was (that's our girl !)

We are going back to see her this evening and take her some of her toys, so she has some familiar things around her. The house is so empty. Neither me or hubby can really concentrate on much as our thoughts are constantly with her

As soon as we have more news I will let you know

Closed Thread