Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 07:23 AM

Her back legs don't want to work

I came home yesterday to find my 9-year old having a difficult time getting to her feet on the hardwood floor. I can grab her waist and help lift her and when she is on her feet, her back legs are wobbly.

Her appetite is great. She is from hip certified parents.

The night before she was running like the wind in the back pasture with another Rottie. I'm wondering if she may have knocked something in her back out?

If she is not better Monday, I'm planning to find a dog chiropractor for her to get an adjustment...any other ideas? Thanks. Xena

Old 06-27-2010, 07:45 AM

Re: Her back legs don't want to work

I would recommend that you take your girl to the vet. A similar thing happened to my rotti years ago. One day he just couldnt use one of his legs. He was taken to the vet and unfortunately was diagnosed with bone cancer.
Im hoping that this is not what is wrong with your girl but best you check it out anyway.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:10 AM

I lost my Missy to a spinal stroke (Fibrocartilaginous embolism). It happened in an instant when she jumped down off the bed as she had every morning, and before long she, too, had no use of her back legs. Your girl could also have herniated a disk in her spine, which is a different problem with the same result in terms of loss of function.

Take her to the vet.

Forever my special angels.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:54 PM

xenacrockett, sorry to hear about your girl. I can offer no advice unfortunately, but if it was me, I would be straight to the vet - I hope it isn't anything too serious

Old 06-27-2010, 07:22 PM

I would not be taking a dog with these symptoms to a chiropractor, she needs a vet.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:55 AM

I would see a vet rather than a chiropractor. One of my dogs recently lost the use of his back legs and couldn't walk. Luckily I saw it happen and rushed him to the vet. You don't want a chiropractor manipulating him unless you have investigated exactly what the problem is.

My boy was referred to an orthopedic surgeon immediately and a myelogram was done right away, followed by a laminectomy. He had a ruptured disk and had we not taken fast action he would not have regained the ability to walk. He's now able to walk and run.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:53 AM

It would be nice if there were a magic wand.
I've never encountered this type problem in any of my previous Rotties, but the symptoms are apparently pretty common for a number of dreadful diseases.

The oldest Rottie I've had was 12 1/2 when she was pts due to failing movement ability. She was the old Radio Ranch type breeding and the best dog I've had. Xena, however, is the most special dog I've ever had. She is 9 1/4 years old and looks half her age with shiny coat and bright eyes. She was a rescue and has had an excellent life here. We learned lots of stuff together.

Last year Xena had a slightly enlarged teat removed, but has otherwise been healthy until now. Her regular vet practices what I call "chemical" medicine. And like so many vets also sells that Hill's Science Diet which to me gives indication of the understanding or lack of for the entire animal's being. I'm sure this vet loves animals but practices according to what is taught in vet school.

I've had horses with spinal and leg injury that were greatly helped with chiropractic and acupuncture treatment and I've been amazed by chiropractic treatment on myself. The horses loved the treatment and one even tried to kiss the Dr. Another was in bliss with the acupuncture needles hooked up to a battery for a stronger treatment.

I'm not in a financial position to do any big expensive chemical medicine and surgery treatment. Unfortunately, I've had to spend considerable bucks on 3 surgeries on myself (to correct a doctor's error). Given that and Xena's age, I fear choices are somewhat limited if this is something expensive and involved. I'm hoping it is something minor that can be helped.

Tonight (Sunday night) she is whimpering for the first time. The place I'm planning on taking her does both regular vet treatment plus chiropractic and acupuncture. So with fingers crossed and a prayer...

Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenacrockett View Post
I'm not in a financial position to do any big expensive chemical medicine and surgery treatment.
I'm not hearing anyone tell you that's what you must do. What I'm hearing them say is that, prior to chiropractic manipulation, it's very important to have a firm diagnosis of what the ailment is or you run the risk of paralyzing her permanently.

I have a friend that had her neck worked on without seeing a physician first and wound up flat on her back for 3 months, unable to care for herself or her toddler. You have to be reasonable with your choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenacrockett View Post
Tonight (Sunday night) she is whimpering for the first time. The place I'm planning on taking her does both regular vet treatment plus chiropractic and acupuncture. So with fingers crossed and a prayer...
I hope you can find her some relief. Please go to the vet first.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 AM

Any responsible chiropractor -- for 2-legged or 4-legged folks -- will diagnose prior to treating. Orthopedic & neurological tests are included as part of standards of care for any patient. I, as a board certified chiropractor, do NOT treat with a diagnosis. (and I've never left a patient in a state where they can't function normally for 3 months!)

That said, if your dog cannot use her hind legs, get her to a physician - DVM or (certified) D.C. ASAP

Old 06-28-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita&Dal View Post
...I, as a board certified chiropractor, do NOT treat with a diagnosis.
Really? Or is this a typo?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:27 PM

Xena is now back from the chiropractor treatment.

The chiropractor was a practicing vet for 20 years before adding chiropractic to the bag of tricks and he has been doing that for 10 years.

First he had her walk around outside for observation then he ran the tester up and down her spine looking for sensitive areas. Then pictures were made for more detail followed by a more intensive chiropractic treatment for a pinched nerve and injection. She also came home with meds.

While doing the pictures, an abdominal tumor was seen. He said that could be removed after her legs show improvement but didn't think it had anything to do with the legs not working.

She is now able to walk on the bottoms of her back feet where before they were turned and she was walking on the tops of them.

She is a great dog and hopefully this condition will pass and the surgery can be done on the tumor. If the present condition does not improve, or if the tumor turns out to be a cluster, I'll do what I feel must be done.

I really love this dog and I'd love for her to last forever, but I won't drag her life out with questionable life quality at a large expense.

I was avoiding thinking about this time and since both my girls, 8 and 9 years old, look so young and have been so active, that has been easy to do. And I felt like such a blubbering idiot there with tears running down my face. Xena of course was a jewel.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Really? Or is this a typo?
Yes, indeed it is. Let me wipe the egg off both sides of my face, and remove it from my forehead, nose, chin, neck....