Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 08:41 PM

Frequent Urination

Hey everyone! I'm sorry if this has been talked about previously, but I'm not sure exactly how i'd search it. Each time i search i only come up with a few threads...

Anyway, recently i've been taking Roxy to a park called Grays Lake. Its a lake (obviously) and you're able to bring dogs to swim, separate beach for people to swim, large bike path, etc.

I started taking her there about two weeks ago and she has a habbit of drinking the lake water. I try not to let her because this place gets a lot of rain and floods a lot which is why i'm concerned with her drinking the water. I'm as far from a germaphobe as you can be and not even I would drink this water haha.

Anyway, recently Roxy has been urinating A LOT...she'll go outside and squat 4-5 times on a simple 5 block walk. Also, last night we went out and she squatted and we came back in...then about an hour later she got up, looked square at me, and peed on the floor. Then today, i got home from work (8 hr day) and found that she had peed in her kennel which she has never done nor has she ever had an accident in the house. I've dealt with a UTI previously but she isnt having any pain while urination, there is no trace of blood, and there isnt an unusual odor. Also, after multiple squats, there are just drips that come out and nothing more (also no yelping).

I'm thinking the lake water has something to do with this so hopefully someone can give me some insight...also hoping this will pass on its own.

I know this might be a little too much information for some of you haha, but i've dealt with something almost identical. One day my car broke down and all i had were roller blades in my car so i skated 9 miles to the nearest town but had to hit a highway so decided not to skate the highway...on my trip back i was so hot from skating and bein in the sun i was shaking so i found a half gallon of water on the side of the road and drank that...shortly after it felt like i had to go all the time, which i didnt, and after about a week or so it went away...sorry for that story lol

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Matt

Old 06-14-2010, 08:50 PM

Re: Frequent Urination

Has she been spayed? If not has she been in season yet? It could be she is coming into heat if that's what it's called. I get horse and dog terminology mixed up. LOL! I'm just guessing if you are sure she doesn't have a UTI.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:54 PM

She is not spayed...She's got an apt to be spayed next month though!

She went into heat about 3 months ago (her first cycle) so shes not ready for her second go yet. Usually happens about 7 months after (could be wrong though).

Old 06-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Valued Member

If it was just excessive peeing on the day of the swim I would say no biggie. Lou always pees alot more on his swim days.

Since this is more constant I would personally have them culture her urine to rule out a uti.

My sisters dobbie was the queen of getting uti's and she never showed any symptoms other than excessive urination. Just because there isn't blood or Roxy isn't showing any discomfort doesn't mean there isn't any.

The frequent peeing coupled with the peeing in the house ( which I assume is totally out of the norm) would be throwing up red flags all over for me.

Get her in and have the vet check her out along with the getting the urine cultured.

**We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. Immanuel Kant

Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 PM

Was really hoping you werent gonna say that lol...i ran into a lot of bills this month and am hurtin for money at the current moment. If thats what needs to be done then obviously i'll do it, but was hopin not to haha

Old 06-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Valued Member

Ya know try calling your vet and explaining the issue. When Lou was peeing frequently last year I didn't need to make and office visit. All I had to do was drop off the sample and wait for the results.

Savings were about 50-65.00 for not having an office visit.

Just make sure it's the first pee of the morning and catch it about midway through.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 PM

I can't imagine how you can get a urine sample! LOL!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Valued Member

A clean container, a leash on the dog and a soup ladle.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 PM

OK Dokey! LOL! Thank you, harleychik66!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 PM

Yeah, when she had the uti a few months ago i just put a tupperware container under her about half way through...

I'll go ahead and call on it in the morning and see what they say!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Well, i called the vet first thing this morning and they said it seems like it would pass on its own if its an infection so let it go for a week or so and if it clears up then great and if not please bring her in...

I'm not sure if thats great advice, but i got home today as usual and went to let Roxy out of the crate...right as i opened the door she was squatting and peed all over inside the kennel as well as all over my carpet. She didnt have any water in the crate and was only in there for 8 hrs.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Valued Member

I don't think it's the greatest advice either !
Even if she's showing no sign of pain, she must be feeling discomfort, or she wouldn't be peeing in her crate.
If she does have a UTI (and it's sounds probable) she really needs to be able to empty her bladder more often. Do you have a secure area outside she could stay, or could someone come and let her out halfway through the day. 'Holding on' causes UTI's.
Going back to your vet. I've never been impressed by anybody willing to diagnose anything over the 'phone. Was it just the receptionist ? Not that it should matter, s/he's even less qualified to give the 'wait and see' advice than a vet would be. If they were willing to accept a sample for testing that would have been fine, but doing nothing - not so fine...
As an aside I'm totally impressed by your 9 mile skate :)))
Alison

Old 06-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Valued Member

Ok, this has me a bit confused. An infection as a rule will not go away on it's own. It will need antibiotics to clear up.

Did they say it could be viral? If it's a type of virus then yes, usually they need to run their course.

However if they were telling you to ignore a possible infection then in all honesty I personally would be looking for another vet.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 PM

I honestly dont remember the exact wording she used...I was listening as best i could but was so frustrated that i was only able to catch the main bits.

I actually dont have an area i can let her out in. I currently live in an apartment so thats out of the question.

I really dont want to take her in, but it seems like thats going to be the only option i have. If you're wondering why i dont want to take her in, its because this will pretty much zero out my checking account (zeroed out my savings a few months ago when i lost my job due to a closing). Thats why i was hoping not to have to take her in lol

And thanks for the compliment alison haha...

Edit: I work close enough to my apartment that i can make a quick run home, let her out, then go back to work (only have half hour for lunch) so I'll do that over the next few days and see if anything changes. I know this is not the best option but its the only one i can go with at the moment. I'll call the vet tomorrow (new vet i'm going to switch to) and see what they have to say as well...

Last edited by mjowen; 06-15-2010 at 08:54 PM.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:57 PM

someone else has suggested this before,
ask your vet if they will let you bring in
just a urine sample for testing.

check the forum for other post on
this subject, this would save you money.