Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Novice Member

puppy with itchy skin/ fleas

I'm a first time puppy owner and my puppy seems to always be biting right above her tail on her back area. If i scratch right there she really likes it and she's almost always constantly biting back there.

If it is a flea problem what is the best flea medicine to use? Has anyone heard good/bad things about k9 advantix?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:41 AM

Re: puppy with itchy skin/ fleas

I use advantix and like it. As long as your puppy is over 7 weeks old, you can use it safely as long as you follow manufacturer's instructions.

Are you certain your pup HAS fleas? Have you seen flea dirt (little black specks on the skin = flea poop) or other evidence of fleas?

Old 04-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Novice Member

Yes I've seen fleas on her belly and ears so I know she has them.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:08 PM

My puppy had dry skin
Added saw dust from butcher to diet and he has a million dollar coat now. no itching no scratching no flies that are attracted to bruises caused by biting.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:15 PM

K9 Advantix is a great product for dogs only but you need to be careful around cats as it is HIGHLY toxic to them.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:35 PM

had the same problem with Pacino. started using this product called sentinel spectrum, i don't know if you would have it over there but it worked for me. Also what could be causing it is after a bath not rinsing the shampoo out properly, dry sking, which you can use fish oil tablets for (1-2 a day (1000mg each)) or MOSQUITO bites or other bugs.

I think that the problem with Pacino was mosquitos. I went to the Vet he gave him something to stop itching and told me to get some bug repellent for dogs when i take him out on hot night, ever since than everything is beautiful. NO MORE SCRATCHING. Try it out

Old 04-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Novice Member

wow thanks that was all so helpful

Old 04-23-2010, 08:09 AM

I've been using Sentinel Spectrum for many years and my dogs have never had fleas or worms. Sentinel Spectrum is a once a month tablet that takes care of heartworm, all intestinal worms and is a flea contraceptive so if your dog picks up a hitchiker flea it cannot breed and infest your dog or your house.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:37 AM

Fleas on your dog mean fleas in your house & yard as well. When we lived in Florida it was a year round problem! My skin crawls at the thought of fleas biting US!

You're wise to get ahead of it with a good preventative. About 2 years ago, our vet recommended Revolution which is a "spot on" that acts as a flea preventative and heart worm medication. We've been extremely pleased with it.

Whatever you use, it may take a couple of "life cycles" to get rid of all of them. My brother stopped in to visit and brought fleas along on his dog & in his belongings once. About a month later, they were everywhere! We used a flea powder that we shook into the floors, then vacuumed out to get things under check. The dogs & cats were put out of the house for a few hours while we used it. Capstar was a "one time" flea pill that the dogs got to kill what was there immediately. It was a mess until we got it under control.

Linda

Old 04-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Valued Member

We have found that none of the flea prevention meds are working except Confortis. It seems our super dooper flea population have gotten immune to everything.

Ask your vet about this wonderful flea med as it works great and it comes in a chewable tablet.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Old 04-24-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
I've been using Sentinel Spectrum for many years and my dogs have never had fleas or worms. Sentinel Spectrum is a once a month tablet that takes care of heartworm, all intestinal worms and is a flea contraceptive so if your dog picks up a hitchiker flea it cannot breed and infest your dog or your house.
I'm pretty sure i decided to use sentinel spectrum because i saw it on RDN and you mentioned it on a post, so i tried it and its brilliant. Thanks Anne