Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 AM

Natural Alternatives To Flea Treatments

I keep seeing on the news that flea treatments have killed a number of dogs in 2008 and way more cats. I noticed after we put Advantage topical flea treatment on Moose after we got him last summer and was infested with fleas that he was laying on the living room floor and sort of zoned out. My husband went and got him by the collar since we wanted to take him out before bed and he just moved his head back and forth for a few seconds and then he snapped out of it. It was soon after applying the topical Advantage.

So far I have come upon Cedar Essential Oil as an alternative. Even though the EPA is only requiring better warnings this issue has me concerned.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Re: Natural Alternatives To Flea Treatments

great post i to am very interested in a alternative its almost time for us to start flee treatment with maggie and molly and in so hesitant to use anything now....

also hows your boys foot after the kong dropping?

coz

Old 03-18-2010, 11:15 AM

His foot is fine now. Thank you for asking. Yesterday I let Moose and Sassy out to play and over the winter a little soil has eroded and the grounding stake for our electric was exposed more and he stepped on it. He yipped and looked at me and I said oh no. He didn't hurt himself this time and he is fine. I'm beginning to think he is accident prone. We will be driving the stake down in the ground and covering it. It's right at the corner of the house. We are getting ready to go outside and get 12 by 12 outside tiles to line the one area where the dogs hang out so they won't be laying in the mud.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:23 PM

A reminder that Advantix is HIGHLY toxic to cats so I would be very careful about using this product if you have a cat that grooms your dog or rubs on the dog then grooms itself.

I use coconut oil and garlic to prevent fleas. During flea season (only May-October in Nevada) I give Teah a clove of garlic once a week and also give her about 1/2tbs of coconut oil three times a week. Yes, she smells like garlic but I would rather that than having fleas. The garlic smells too strong for fleas to even get on the dog. If the fleas do get on the dog the coconut oil helps reduce any reaction to the flea bite. I used this in California where fleas are always a problem and it worked well. We never had fleas on our American Eskimos.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:49 PM

tigerpaw709, Thank you. Last night we were watching tv and we were eating red grapes. Moose wanted one so I gave it to him and then I said to my husband before I give him another one I want to make sure grapes aren't toxic and they are. They can cause kidney failure I read. I'm glad I checked. I read garlic is toxic too but since I was looking for info about grapes I didn't check out why. Have you read that?

Old 03-18-2010, 12:55 PM

I have read that garlic is bad for dogs but only on websites that state feeding raw food can kill a dog...so, needless to say I didn't quite believe everything on their site. I have been giving Teah garlic for I don't know how long and have had no problems (other than her smelling like garlic which is what keeps the fleas away). Too much of anything can be toxic so moderation is the key.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:04 PM

tigerpaw709, Thank you. What I did was do a search for foods you should not feed your dog and got a list of different things.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Valued Member

I don't "treat" the dog any more than by giving a regular bath with regular shampoo.....I've had my best success by treating the environment. I've used nematodes in the yard (they gobble up flea larvae) and put a flea collar inside the vacuum cleaner bag (to kill any suckers I caught by vacuuming).

I did that about 10 years ago and the worst flea problem I've had any time since is maybe a couple fleas being picked up and brought home from somewhere else - which a regular bath with regular shampoo takes care of.

No fleas here!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Moondog, I never had problems with fleas until people dropped off cats out where we live and we fed them and now they live here. They do keep the rodent population down. We opened up our walls when we were remodeling a few years ago and found no evidence of mice droppings which made me happy. I know it's the cats.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:52 PM

We use something called liquidnet sprayed on him when we go to our cabin it is for gnats,flies,fleas,ticks More of an all nat.treatment.Our last rottie got really sick when we used a popular ,topical treatment.It seems to work as we have never had a tick or flea problem.And check him often.I dont know how well it would work in a heavly infested area.Their web site is Deer Repellent and other Natural Animal Repellents from Liquid Fence

Old 03-18-2010, 03:11 PM

Deacons mom, Thank you. I bookmarked the link and will check it out thoroughly.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:56 PM

Last year I used beneficial nematodes.

Sprayed them all around the house and areas where the dogs frequent.
This was a big help since flea repellents used previously no longer worked.

I'm planning to order them again this year. You can find them by using a beneficial nematode search and when you get to a site, look for the ones that control fleas.

No insecticides and chemical fertilizers should be used for these guys to work. They are organic and completely safe in my experience.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I don't "treat" the dog any more than by giving a regular bath with regular shampoo.....I've had my best success by treating the environment. I've used nematodes in the yard (they gobble up flea larvae) and put a flea collar inside the vacuum cleaner bag (to kill any suckers I caught by vacuuming).

I did that about 10 years ago and the worst flea problem I've had any time since is maybe a couple fleas being picked up and brought home from somewhere else - which a regular bath with regular shampoo takes care of.

No fleas here!
Slew of questions for you...
Do you treat the entire yard?
Did you buy online or locally and specifically where did you buy?
The prices I've seen are around $50 to treat 1500 sq.feet, it would cost a me a small fortune to treat my entire yard.
I have read not to treat areas that are considered full sun but also read to treat the whole yard..?
Has there been any need for re-application since the original 10 years ago?

I avoid using chemicals on or around my dogs and every year I consider nematodes, but since I haven't had issues with fleas I never follow through with it. I like to be proactive so I may just do it this year...

Old 03-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Novice Member

We don't do anything other than the occasional bath which keeps the fleas down for the most part. The one down side to dog parks is that there are more fleas around other peoples dogs who don't keep up on things as we do.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:00 PM

Awesome post! I believe the reason garlic is considered toxic is b/c it is the onion family. Onions can be toxic but I've never heard of a dog getting sick from garlic. (Not saying it's never happened, just that I haven't heard about it.) I don't like using topical, never have, but when the vet asked what I used on my cats a couple of years, it put me over the edge. I told I used the Promeris I got at that clinic b/c the other vet there recommended it. She said she didn't even think they made Promeris for cats b/c "it isn't safe for them." WTH! She even went up front to look at the display and sure enough there was the Promeris for cats. I've never even considered the fact that what I put on my dogs still comes into contact w/ the cats, and I don't think many vets do either. They're too busy thinking about all the profit they make on such products. I'm so glad I read this thread!

I've controlled the fleas pretty well w/ lawn spray for the last few years. I don't like using chemicals period, but I'd rather they get sprayed on the lawn instead of my pets. I'll think I'll look into the nematodes or diatomaceous earth this year though.