Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 03:06 PM

Re: Don't give up on your dog!

I sure could use some help. My Guy Johnny Cash, or Casher is gettn old on me.

After runs in the park or if he jumps out of the truck he gets a limp and seems to be
in pain. Sometimes I hear his bones crackling. And sometimes he "stubs his toes" or drags his bottom part of his foot for just a second.

The leg that limps after a good walk all so has a lump in the arm pit. The vet put a neddle in it and said it is a fat lump.

He also has a small lump on his forearm size of a pea.
And one on his neck that moves with the fur.

I really want to help him out but everytime I take him to the vet I lose out on
big money that I dont have and NOTHING is done for him.

Boss says I should put him down, but that is crazy talk

He was only 6 on Halloween 09

Old 01-27-2010, 06:32 AM

Re: I sure could use some help with limp following exercise

I'd suggest you find a different vet. I see Niagara in your location - is that Niagara Falls, NY? There's a very good clinic in Orchard Park, NY... plus vets at Cornell.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: I sure could use some help with limp following exercise

It could be so many things? He may have arthritis and need to be on some sort of supplements to help with his joints. Glucosamine/chondroitin will help . He may need to be on an anti-inflammatory also.
I would be worried about the lumps and bumps...he's at an age where cancer starts showing up in the breed.
Try a different vet if you don't like the information you are getting. If your dog is in pain you need to do something to help him.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 AM

Sorry to hear about this. I just lost my male rott this month. He had the same symptoms as your dog. He would drag his rear foot when walkig at times and it would cross over the other leg causing him to trip. The vet said it was a combination of arthritis and that he had pulled a ligament in his knee. My boy was on Glucosamine/Chrondotin and for meds he was on Rimadyl.

PLEASE do not let your dog jump out of the back of your truck. Keep him from using those legs as much as possible until you find out what the problem is. Every time he jumps off the bed of your truck he is causing more stress and strain.

My dog had to be put down at about 12 1/2 years old, but he lived with the leg problem for over a year. I had to let him go when he could no longer stand and walk.

Was there any x-rays taken? It should show if it is arthritis, or hip dysplasia. It could also be a slipped disk.

I would not worry about the bumps. Both my Rotts (the ones that passed) got those fatty tumours when they got older. If they move around with the skin you should usually not have to worry about them. They do not have to be removed unless they are causing problems for the dog. One of my dogs got cancer in the end, and it was very clearly a cancer tumour. Much harder, fast growing, and did not move around like a fatty tumour.

Good luck... keep your dog quiet. He needs to rest.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the info

I kept him rested and he could walk again. But now a few weeks later it is like everyother day the poor guy limps and his bones are clicking when he walks. He is going to the vets this week and I don't know what to expect or what to do for that matter.....