Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 11:53 PM

Putting Your Dog Down???

Really wanted to get some feedback on this topic. Just got off the phone with a guy I grew up with who told me he had to put his dog down yesterday. He sounded pretty dispondent as anyone would be. The dog was with them for 9 years. Knowing he had been having some major money trouble ( lost his job, wife's hours cut, etc ) I was curious at the cost he was charged by the vet. At this point he told me he couldn't afford to have the vet do it so he did it himself. I was perplexed and asked him to elaborate. He told me he took the dog into the woods, dug a hole, and the rest I'm sure you can figure out. Before I go further, I will say he told me the vet had checked the dog and told my friend there was nothing left to do, that the animal would be in pain which would only worsen until death. This is when he made the decision to go thru with what's typed above. I mean, I felt awful for the guy as you could clearly tell this was an agonizing thing he felt he had to do.

Given today's economy and the potential for this scenerio of lost jobs and lack of money, I'm curious about other people's view of this situation. Would you do it? Could you?

Old 01-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Ancient Valued Member

Re: Putting Your Dog Down???

as an accomplished hunter I am more than capable of doing such a thing BUT would never unless the dog was in IMMEDIATE need (ie hit by car and could not be moved, fell off a cliff hiking in the wilderness etc)

All the vets I deal with would be more than willing to set up a payment schedule (and I actually have done just that)
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 01-03-2010, 12:05 AM

I think the situation is so bad with this guy that even payments would be tough. I mean....I just don't know if I could do that. That said, my first reaction was to consider passing judgement. I can't lie. Afterwards though, gotta wonder "until you walk in someone else's shoes"....

Old 01-03-2010, 12:07 AM

My husband had a heart attack and we lost our income. We still found the money to put our 9 year old rottie to sleep. Somethings are necessary to do so you don't have regrets. I won't judge the person who did what he felt he had to do but he will be bothered by it for a long time in my opinion.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:09 AM

I agree. Hell, I'm bothered by it and I'm 700 miles away!

Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 AM

My parents just had to put down one of their cats and it cost them $400 for the euthanasia, to get her cremated and to get her ashes back in a cedar box. I could not believe it would cost that much but I have not had to put a pet down myself in a long time, thankfully.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpaw709 View Post
My parents just had to put down one of their cats and it cost them $400 for the euthanasia, to get her cremated and to get her ashes back in a cedar box. I could not believe it would cost that much but I have not had to put a pet down myself in a long time, thankfully.
How expensive... although it's probably because of them wanting the ashes and everything. When we had my parents' dog put to sleep 2 years ago it cost $50 for the euthanasia, and $50 more for them to *get rid* (wrong choice of words here but can't find THE correct english one) of his body...

I could never put my own dog (or any pet) down. Geez, I can hardly stand assisting an euthanasia, can't imagine doing it myself. I do not judge the ones who do, but that's one of the things I'm willing to get in debt for. Had I been in this man's situation, I would have put the bill on a credit card.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:58 AM

With the economy being what it is today, would there be a way to start some sort of funding for this? Locally I mean.... I know there are always shelters and anti-cruelty societies, but I think it would take forever just to qualify people. This is just a thought... I didn't really think it through to the details.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:00 AM

Never! I would go without things myself to pay for a peaceful death for my dog. I would not consider doing what he did.

I'm being judgemental, I make no apologies for that. There are some things I could not bring myself to do and that would be around the top of the list. I would have guilt for the rest of my life. I could say a lot more but better I don't.

If he has no friends or family that could lend him the money then why didn't he surrender his dog to a shelter or pound and ask them to euthanise him? Shelters will euthanise a dog for no charge or minimal charge. Did he seek out the alternatives?

I wonder if the vet knew what this man intended to do. If he informed the vet of his circumstances and what his intentions were I'm sure they could have come to a suitable arrangement. Afterall the drug they use for euthanasia is not expensive and the vet would probably have done it right there and then at the time of the consult for very little, if any, extra cost.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Novice Member

I feel bad for the guy but I don't have a problem of him doing it himself as long as he did it right. Sad all around.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:24 AM

Many local shelters euthanize pets for a reduced fee or sometimes for free depending on that persons financial situation. I know in Cleveland there are several shelters that offer it.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
Never! I would go without things myself to pay for a peaceful death for my dog. I would not consider doing what he did.

I'm being judgemental, I make no apologies for that. There are some things I could not bring myself to do and that would be around the top of the list. I would have guilt for the rest of my life. I could say a lot more but better I don't.

If he has no friends or family that could lend him the money then why didn't he surrender his dog to a shelter or pound and ask them to euthanise him? Shelters will euthanise a dog for no charge or minimal charge. Did he seek out the alternatives?

I wonder if the vet knew what this man intended to do. If he informed the vet of his circumstances and what his intentions were I'm sure they could have come to a suitable arrangement. Afterall the drug they use for euthanasia is not expensive and the vet would probably have done it right there and then at the time of the consult for very little, if any, extra cost.
Thanks for the comment. I didn't get into with him if he sought alternatives. Maybe I should have. I can only say, living in the country of Minnesota he is an avid hunter and maybe this came "natural" for him? That doesnt lessen his anguish I'm sure, but that's what folks would have done in the olden days. Of course, those days are long gone ( hence my apprehension ).

Old 01-03-2010, 10:56 AM

People that do a lot of hunting might not see doing it themselves as wrong. People would shoot a horse to put it out of it's misery years ago. I had a horse loaned to a 4-H member and she lost her temper and yanked on the chain and he went up and over and broke his neck. To make a long story short shooting him would have been more humane. He suffered for hours until we got a Vet and then he didn't give him enough medicine to kill him and he moaned and moaned and thrashed. The Vet had to go back to his office and get more drugs. A bullet in the right spot is quick. We are not into guns but we learned about how to do it in 4H.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:28 AM

In October ('09) we faced a similar situation. Our dear Athena had a tumor in her skull that was pushing on her eye and causing nose bleeds as well. At eleven years old she had lived a long and happy life and gave us many happy memories. In September my husband had gotten a HUGE pay cut. But, we still found the money we needed to do what was right. It was not only $50...I want to say it was close to $200 and we had her buried in a common grave to cut the cost as we could not afford cremation...

I coult never personally take the life of a living thing, especially one so very close to my heart.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Valued Member

Shelters like the SPCA euthanize pets for free in most places. Your buddy's vet probably could have told him this if he'd asked.