Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Novice Member

Dog got into bleach and vet said we didn't need to bring him in?

I am at work right now, and I called Matt to check in. He had just gotten home when I called him, and as he walked into the garage he noticed Ripley had gotten out of his kennel again and, among other things, got into the bleach. I got off the phone and called our vet right away. They told me first that, since I didn't know how much he had ingested, to bring him in immediately. I called Matt back and he seemed reluctant to drive him there (our vet is roughly an hour away) since Ripley had apparently drank so little of it. The vet then told Matt that since he only drank a little to wash his mouth out, give him lots of water, a couple of spoonfuls of Milk of Magnesia for the next few days, and watch him for vomiting and diarrhea, and if there was any, to bring him in immediately. He isn't vomiting and he has no diarrhea. Personally I feel that it's better to be safe than sorry though and that we need to bring him in anyways and then find a new vet.

Have any of you ever had this situation, and am I overreacting?

Old 12-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Valued Member

Re: Dog got into bleach and vet said we didn't need to bring him in?

If he drank bleach, take the dog to the emergency clinic! NOW! I do not understand any "reluctance" to seek help when your dog has ingested a highly toxic substance.

Pieka, NW2, CD-C, RL2, RL1X, RN, BH, CGC
Whiskey, CD, RN, CGC, TT
Louie, CGC, TDI
Sofia, CGC., TDI, TT, HIC, (1997-2008)

Old 12-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Novice Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss7373 View Post
If he drank bleach, take the dog to the emergency clinic! NOW! I do not understand any "reluctance" to seek help when your dog has ingested a highly toxic substance.
Will do.

I'm guessing we should find a new vet? I couldn't believe they said not to bring him in.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Valued Member

Never heard of it. I cannot imagine that a dog would ingest bleach.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfan View Post
While I would agree that I'd think a dog would avoid it....if her husband thinks the dog got into it, this is something to take very seriously. Even if he got it onto his paws, it would be corrosive. If he licked it off....yikes.

Whiskey, CD, RN, CGC, TT
Louie, CGC, TDI

Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Valued Member

Get him to a vet, better safe than sorry.
My MIL's corgi ingested some bleach and although she survived, her guts were never the same again.
I don't know how the vet decided he only drank a little, but even a little would be too much for me. Why risk it going through his system ? I'm not sure if you'd be advised to make him vomit due to the possible damage to his oesophagus (sp?), but if it's possible to remove it from the stomach and prevent it being digested, then I'd be doing it.
To my thinking vomiting and diarrhea are signs of damage, they should trying to AVOID them at all costs.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss7373 View Post
While I would agree that I'd think a dog would avoid it....if her husband thinks the dog got into it, this is something to take very seriously. Even if he got it onto his paws, it would be corrosive. If he licked it off....yikes.
Good point. Although the one advantage to bleach is that you'd know where it ended up on the dog.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfan View Post
Dogs do do strange things, never understimate them.
When my MIL's corgi ingested bleach, they had poured some down the drain, then some fatty washing up water went down the sink into the drain. I cannot imagine it tasted vaguely pleasant (by my definition), but Candy did drink it - and was very, very ill.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Novice Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajemons View Post
I don't know how the vet decided he only drank a little, but even a little would be too much for me. Why risk it going through his system ?
I feel the same way which is why I kind of think our vet is full of you-know-what now LOL. We've been very happy with her so far but it worries me that she would take a cavalier approach to this and I was curious if maybe I was just overreacting here. If you all agree that I'm not, perhaps we need to find a new vet.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassyinjax View Post
I feel the same way which is why I kind of think our vet is full of you-know-what now LOL. We've been very happy with her so far but it worries me that she would take a cavalier approach to this and I was curious if maybe I was just overreacting here. If you all agree that I'm not, perhaps we need to find a new vet.

I think you're right on that! Your vet should have told you to head to the nearest emergency clinic.

Is Ripley at the vet? Please keep us updated. I hope that Matt was mistaken but if Ripley actually drank bleach, that is very serious.

Whiskey, CD, RN, CGC, TT
Louie, CGC, TDI

Old 12-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Valued Member

I don't think there's any question that you should get your dog to an emergency clinic right away...it appears no one knows how much he may have ingested, so better safe than sorry. It seems cavalier to be having a discussion about it rather than just doing it.

Any poisons or other items that can cause your dog harm that he has access to (even if it's because he broke out of his crate) should be LOCKED UP where he can't get to it.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:59 PM

While it's just highly unlikely your dog is going to ingest the amount of bleach to actually do any harm because of the strong odor of it (and making sure he doesnt vomit) ANY TIME a toxic chemical is involved take that dog to the vet as quickly as possible. In emergencies I dont think, talk, or call I just go right then. Your vet may be able to tell the damage done and judge how much the dog ingested by the amount of damage done to the throat, thats why do not induce vomiting because it causes even more damage coming back up. Make very sure that all other toxic chemicals are put up like on top of high shelves (aspecially things like antifreeze) whether you think the dog can get out of it's kennel or crate or not. If it were anitfreeze that dog would have drank the whole thing and ate most of the bottle because of it's sweet smell. With bleach if the dog drank a vet small amount then he should pass it fine, but may make him a little sick.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Novice Member

We have decided to get a new vet. :) LOL.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:11 PM

My dog was fed bleach in an attempt to poison her when she was a pup. Two thousand dollars and a few days at the vet (with a discount because they felt sorry for us) and I spent three days spooning chicken broth down her throat every hour and administering sub q fluids. It took her over a month to perk up and stop looking like death warmed over.

She has never fully recovered. She now has leaky gut syndrome and can't maintain her gut flora so is in near constant state of yeast overgrowth if she so much a sniffs anything with grain or high amounts of fruit. The yeast attacks her skin, paws, ears, bottom and even her joints and she has to go on one hell of a regime to wipe it all out again. Every time she so much as gets a whiff, it's $300 flat in drugs to balance her out again.

We maintain her with the dogzymes yeast regime, lots of yogurt, tripe, acv, as much raw as she'll cope with and lots of hopes and prayers that she doesn't manage to get a cheerio.

Find a new vet, or your dog might end up like mine.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Valued Member

I'm not seeing anything here to LOL about... Has the dog been taken to A vet?