Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Novice Member

Hanging Growths

Hi all... new to the forum but glad I found it.

About a year ago, I moved in with my son to take care of his house and dogs. We have 3 - one is his (Rottweiler/Lab mix - Maul - 140lbs/10 yrs), one was abandoned by an old roommate and my son just couldn't take it to the pound so he's been caring for him since (Akita/Pit/Chow - LokDog - 80lb/7 yrs) and one was left behind by a roommate that had to take a job in LA and she couldn't go. At least he visits when he can and tries to send money to help with food. This last is the one I am writing in about.

Destiny is an old girl, and a sweetie. She's 120lbs/11 yrs, and the clumsiest dog I have ever seen! We have really bonded and she sleeps in my room now. Anyway, both she and and Maul have a hanging growth off a leg. Her's is on the front leg and Maul's is on the back leg. When we come in from a walk (I do all the walking, brushing, etc), they both spend some time licking these. I think it's because they hang from skin and move around when the dogs walk. It's probably uncomfortable for them.

Anyway...money is very tight with three big dogs to feed, so I was wondering if anyone knew what these were and if we should try to scratch together enough to take them to the Vet. Also, are these something that Rottweilers are known for? Lok doesn't have anything like this.

Ideas???? Thanks!

Lory

Old 11-20-2009, 01:22 PM

Post Re: Hanging Growths

They need to be seen by a vet. These skin growths could be anything...cancer, skin tags, lipomas,etc. They must be very uncomfortable. The dogs also sound like they are overweight, see if you can get some weight off them....older dogs that are overweight suffer with arthritis.

Please let is us know what the vet says.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN
Duncan (Rescue)~A work in progress
At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 11-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Novice Member

Re: Hanging Growths

We had an English Mastiff with large pink skin tags and fatty tumors that grew on the back of his legs, chest, armpits, and even between his legs. He had them for years, until one day a little boy screamed when we walked by because it looked like he had a giant mutant testicle. (I mean this thing was as big around as a Kiwi fruit, and it hung down to his hocks between his hind legs)

We didn't have the $$ to take him to the vet at the time either - so the way we removed them was to tie them off very very tightly close to the skin with waxed dental floss. It didn't seem to bother him and after a few days the growths start leak fluid, then shrivel up turn black and die. The scab or dead tissue falls off after 7 days or so and the growth does not come back. No infection, no blood, just a little fluid leaking for a day or two.

The important thing is to use waxed dental floss and tie it TIGHT. Wrap it a couple of times around the base of the growth and cinch it down. You are purposefully stopping the blood flow to that skin. Keep checking it every day or so and make sure that it stays tied tightly. In 7 days it will look like a little black raisin, and by day 10 will probably fall off.

And before everyone yells about how cruel this is.. if you can't afford a vet, this is a real viable alternative, and it does not seem to bother the animal after a few minutes as the area does go numb. We removed at least 7 large to medium growths from our mastiff from all parts of the lower body using this method.

This is how they castrate animals and dock puppies tails in some parts of the world. It may not be an ideal way of handling it, but it does work.

Zuke

Old 11-20-2009, 08:41 PM

Re: Hanging Growths

Growths are probably either fatty or a more serious type of tumor. Please have them checked out by a vet. There is no way to know what is going on and the dogs could be in a great deal of pain, just because they don't show it on the outside, doesn't mean something isn't going on inside.