Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Re: lymphangiectasia

I am wondering if you know what brand of Walthams dog food she ate. Was it a novel
protein or the Low Fat.

I am still working to get my dog on balanced program. Am wondering if anyone on the forum can recommend a brand of probiotic that works for them.

Can dogs with this disease tolerate any type of fish at all. And what kind of fats can they tolerate or not tolerate. Is it long chain, short chain or all. Just plain fats in
any food?
From a small age my dog could not seem to tolerate any thing with Sunflower oil or such.
Destiny has been diagnosed with mild Lympamatic Plasmatic however it says that
she has a dilated lacterial lympestica like villa in an area of her stomach. My Vet
is not going a long with the lympesticia but to me it says it in black and white.
I have a biopsy report but it is a little hard for a normal person to understand.
And Has anyone used atopica and what results have they had?
I am trying to do everything very slowly and deliberate because of the problems I have
had.

This forum has helped big time. Thank you all in advance.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:11 PM

Am wondering if anyone has had any luck with L Glutamine? Amino Acid
I have read about it and it seems to works for some.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM

The only probiotic I have used is Purina Fortiflora. It is a powder that comes in little premeasured packets & has probiotics suitable for a dogs gut.

As far as fish oils, in my own dog's case, so much as one fish oil capsule would send him into a relapse that would take days to recover from. We have found he does not tolerate fats at all.

The only treat we have found that he tolerates is plain old Milk Bones, surprisingly enough.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:11 PM

My young girl looks great, however, I feel there is something wrong. No signs of a problem yet, but she is more ravenous than I have seen. She has not had any episodes of edema, but she just doesn't seem right on. I just don't know. Her stools seem a bit softer, but it could just be me I guess. We will be going in for our yearly and I wondered if anyone had heard any warnings regarding shots and this disease. A friend of mine told me she was told never to do any shots after her boy was diagnosed?
Please give me your thoughts?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:58 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: lymphangiectasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by carting View Post
My young girl looks great, however, I feel there is something wrong. No signs of a problem yet, but she is more ravenous than I have seen. She has not had any episodes of edema, but she just doesn't seem right on. I just don't know. Her stools seem a bit softer, but it could just be me I guess. We will be going in for our yearly and I wondered if anyone had heard any warnings regarding shots and this disease. A friend of mine told me she was told never to do any shots after her boy was diagnosed?
Please give me your thoughts?
There is no need for yearly shots. You can have her titered for parvo/distemper and rabies is only given every 3 years.
Why do you think there is something wrong with your dog??

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 12-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Valued Member

Luna never had another vaccination following her diagnosis, not even for rabies (the vet can write a waiver due to health and/or age).

I titered her just to be sure, and even with her immune system suppressed by the prednisone, she still maintained a strong titer. I did, however, cease to take her places where many dogs congregate - no more classes, no more beach, no parks where many dogs go. We played "rally 'round the neighborhood" instead and she was able to play with my kids' dogs, so all was well and she was a happy dog.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:08 PM

Not sure why I felt there was something wrong - she is just not right, and somehow I know it. Last night I felt her neck and she is edemic and her face looks a bit swollen. This morning I started her on prednisone, will see if that helps. She has been doing so well.
I do titers also - it hit me hard that her lifestyle is also going to have to change so much. She only has a few events left to qualify her for Versatility with ARC. Should she be healthy enough I think we will go for it - she lives to work for me. She will be so sad if I have to leave her and take the other dogs - not sure what to do.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:21 PM

I am also going to ask about Meticam (sp?) instead of Prednisone, I think it would be easier on any dog long term. Any thoughts?

Old 12-10-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carting View Post
I am also going to ask about Meticam (sp?) instead of Prednisone, I think it would be easier on any dog long term. Any thoughts?
Matacam is an NSAID & Prednisone is a steriod. Two different drugs. You said you "started your dog on Prednisone". Did a vet prescribe it? If so, what was the diagnosis?

Old 12-10-2009, 02:57 PM

Yes, a vet prescribed it when she was diagnosed with Lymphangiectasia (pid). She has been fine, but I was right the problem was she started swelling, losing protein in to her body, her edema was fast. I put her on the Pred and almost immediately the swelling went down. Now I am weaning her off it again. I do not want to put her organs through being on that constatly. During her visit they advised me the same as you SamIam about Metacam, it wouldn't work. Hopeing for no further flair up for awhile - she has gained 9 pounds at her visit and is a svelt 73 pounds and full of energy. We are going herding this weekend! I also consulted them about the innoculations - and understand I will still do her titers but no further shots. In the meantime we are going to live it up together like there is no tommorrow. :)

Old 12-10-2009, 07:27 PM

Carting, I apologize. When I read back through the beginning of the thread, I see where you had already posted the diagnosis of your dog. So many dogs to keep track of. I was concerned you were giving prednisone to a dog that hadn't yet received a firm diagnosis, but I see that is not the case.

Metacam, being an NSAID, can be hard on the stomach long-term, so it is something you would probably want to avoid in a dog with tummy troubles.

As far as food goes, it is important that whichever food you decide to try be very low in fat. That is key. Have you tried any of the low-fat prescription diets? I see that you are feeding Purina Salmon, but that has a higher fat content than I would think is advisable in your dog's situation. If you are beginning to notice loose stools, I would find a food with a lower fat content.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:03 AM

After reading the latest published studies on Ivis on line, I would not want to lower her fat content any further and keep her healthy. She is not having loose stools. She was having severe edema. Now she is fine, today was her last dose of Pred.

I have also found with this disease she does not drink water like she use to. In fact after her surgery I was feeding her soaked kibble - once I graduated back to dry she showed signs of dehydration, it was awful. I immediately started soaking her food again. I have had no problems since...she just can't eat dry food I guess. I do feed turkey, chicken, low fat yogurt and no fat cottage cheese also with her foods. She has been doing very well and maintaining, and gained 9 pounds.

I don't want to do the Vet diets or other diets if I can help it - I own 5 active dogs, work full time and need to keep it simple. I don't know if I will have to change her diet in the future, but for now it works for her and me.

My vet would rather have me cook for her and has offered some fabulous recipes that I initially tried, but I just didn't have the time after/before work, in addition to cooking for the family and working the dogs. And if you are rushed and can't enjoy things everyone feels it including the dog and that doesn't help either.

I am keeping a log hoping it will help her, and maybe someone else if they can learn from it. I really wish there was some way I could get her back to her old weight and just have to watch what she eats - but this is not a simple disease. It's a cruel one that teases them and keep them constantly hungry.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:03 AM

I am currently still feeding my dog a blended turkey breast and rice. Have added Kal
Bone meal. Wondered if anyone has had any luck adding any cooked vegetables.
Also wondered if Moon Dogie is going to be able to post her article.

Thank you Island Connie

Old 12-31-2009, 11:10 AM

Everyone - I must reply to you all because everyone has given me support. My girl (Rose) has now been herding over a month, once a week, although I had to keep her on the Prednisone 1/4 tab every other day - I now only need to give it to her 3 times a week. (M-W-Fr) I am amazed at the muscle she has actually been able to retain, she is much more "solid" feeling. She is definitely happier! Although she is always ravenous the Purina Sensative Stomach/Skin I am feeding is doing well with her. Still having nice solid bowel movements. She is maintaining her weight even with the excersize! I do have to take her back to the vet to have her protein/albumin levels checked, but I'm almost afraid to everything outwardly looks so good - and she is so very, very happy and full of herself.

I wanted to share this information hoping that it may help someone. You don't have to go out herding with your dog, do Rally, Carting, Flyball, whatever. I truly believe this is helping her, perhaps it will help one of you too. Only walking with her was just not helping her. She is building up confidence and strength - should she relapse, I know this will also help her pull through. We will re-evaluate her next Fall - my plan I will still work her, I truly believe this is helping her physically and mentally. As long as her titers are up, well, she will be out there. I thought it might help someone out there to know and perhaps try. You all know your dogs best -

Old 12-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Valued Member

It is wonderful that your dog is doing so well! Given her attitude and energy level, I sincerely doubt you will find a problem with her serum proteins....seriously low proteins translate into a profound loss of stamina.

I totally agree that a dog needs to be given a reason to live - when Luna was very sick, our big adventure was walking out the front door to sit on the grass and watch the world go by - the sparkle came back to her eye and it perked her up just to be there. Luna never regained her previous stamina.....little by little she recovered enough to be happy and energetic, but when actually working, she ran out of gas fairly quickly. We played "rally around the neighborhood" daily, where I could make sure we were close to home when she tired.

Wishing you continued good fortune with your girl.