Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 01:23 PM

Ear Problems

Hi my little Diesel just turned 10 months today and hes having problems with the one ear its very red inside.
I took him to the vet for this problem a few months back and they told me that its a yeast infection not Mites so they gave me this stuff that humans use for swimmers ear LOL. The stuff called "Surolan" its a topical antifungal,antibacterial and anti-inflammatory drops for dogs and cats. This stuff works but doesn't last very long due to the size of the bottle you get and very expensive.

Is there any Off the Counter creams that i can buy that would help his problem or..

Is there any other remedies that would solve my problem with Diesel he has large ears and they get real hot and turn red . My other rott Toni i flush her ears every other week with half part vinegar and half part Isopropyl 70% and dont have any ears issues but Diesel dont quite take the Vinegar to well his ears flare up he must have a allurgic reaction to the vinegar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks ..

Rick

Old 10-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Valued Member

Re: Ear Problems

For a dog with inflamed ears, the vinegar and alcohol will burn and make the inflammation worse, so I don't think the one dog's aversion to it is due to an allergy to vinegar.

However, chronic ear infections can be due to an allergic reaction to something in the food they eat and since both your dogs are having ear problems, I'd look to the food.

What are you feeding?

Old 10-29-2009, 01:47 PM

Just my young dog having issues the other Toni no issues at all with her ears. I.m feeding Iams dog food to both since they were puppies. But Diesel's ears started to turn red in the later part of the summer due to Yeast build up problems so the Vet says. Just wandering if theres any thing i could use to flush his ears out that would'nt bother him creams, drops ETC...

Rick..

Old 10-29-2009, 02:12 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Ear Problems

Food can often be a major cause of chronic ear problems. Often it's foods containing corn, wheat, soy and sometimes the major protein in the food (chicken,etc.)
Instead of looking for medications for the ears.....look at the reason the ears are infected.

With ears, if they are clean, they should not be washed, cleaned or bothered with. If they are dirty, they need cleaning....but with something much more gentle then vinegar and alcohol . Yuck, that would hurt like hell!!

Start finding out the cause of the ear problems...and I'm almost sure it's their diet.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 10-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Valued Member

Besides addressing the probable diet cause, I have a remedy for on going ear yeast infections. It has even worked on Cocker Spaniels!

Add to his food 2 capsules of denatured garlic (such as Kyolic) and 2 tablets of Biotin. These can be found in the health food section of most grocery stores.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Novice Member

Most ear problems with dogs caused by alergens are of the inhalant variety. I would suggest Tavist D.

To wash out a dogs ears (humans as well) try Hydrogen Peroxide 3% with a 50/50 mix of warm H2O. Use a bulb syringe and irrigate. Then rinse with H2O.

White vinegar with H2O is the way to go (not ETOH) for maintence if no open sores.

Over the counter meds for humans for the Tx of yeast infection work well, if it is a yeast infection.

Good idea to use grain free dog foods.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:20 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Ear Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1958 View Post
Just my young dog having issues the other Toni no issues at all with her ears. I.m feeding Iams dog food to both since they were puppies. But Diesel's ears started to turn red in the later part of the summer due to Yeast build up problems so the Vet says. Just wandering if theres any thing i could use to flush his ears out that would'nt bother him creams, drops ETC...

Rick..
If the other dog has no problems with her ears, why are you flushing them???
Ears clean themselves naturally...there is no need to be fussing with them if they are fine. If it 'aint broke...leave alone.

As for your other dog...it does not matter what what you do, or put in...if you don't get to the bottom of the cause of the ear problems...they will always start back up again.

Get the dogs off of Iams...it's a poor quality food full of corn and crap ingredients. I would try a grain free such as Orijen...they make it in Alberta.

You can either spend money going to the vet for chronic ear problems...or buy a quality food.

Gina

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 10-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Novice Member

"You can either spend money going to the vet for chronic ear problems...or buy a quality food." I would submit that that is a non sequitur.

Actually, intermittently cleaning out a dogs ears can be a good thing in the prophylaxis of ear problems.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Valued Member

I've fostered quite a few dogs for rescue. Many of them came to me with nasty, yucky, inflamed and sore ears. All were on poor quality food before they came to me. All of them improved dramatically once they were on premium (and grain free) food for 4-6 weeks. I would say that the vast majority of dogs I have seen with chronically yeasty ears are the result of food allergies.

RottsnScotts suggestions also work very well for clearing up an existing infection in the meantime.

Pieka, NW2, CD-C, RL2, RL1X, RN, BH, CGC
Whiskey, CD, RN, CGC, TT
Louie, CGC, TDI
Sofia, CGC., TDI, TT, HIC, (1997-2008)

Old 10-29-2009, 04:55 PM
One of the Old Folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by knut View Post
"You can either spend money going to the vet for chronic ear problems...or buy a quality food." I would submit that that is a non sequitur.

Actually, intermittently cleaning out a dogs ears can be a good thing in the prophylaxis of ear problems.
If the ears need cleaning then clean them...if you check on them weekly like I do when clipping nails and their ears are clean, smell good, and are not red...I see no reason to be putting things in their ears to irritate them.

Having dogs for over 30 years...it's worked well for me...never had a dog with ear problems...but I've also always fed good food.

My pup is 6 months old, I've cleaned her ears once, and that was only because I wanted her to have me touching her ears...they had a tiny bit of wax. My other dog probably had his ears cleaned 6 months ago...also a tiny bit of wax.

Diet is the most important thing for keeping ears healthy. I agree with bliss...I've had so many foster dogs come in with awful ears. With regular cleaning, and onto a good diet....all were adopted out with healthy ears.

Gina

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 10-29-2009, 06:46 PM

I certainly agree with the diet as being the possible culprit. My girl had only two yeast infections in her lifetime, one more than likely due to swimming, and not drying out, and the other was due to long term antibiotic use. I was given Zymox for this condition..a little goes a long way. As far as cleaning out debris, I prefer an earwash by halo which is all natural and can be used for my cats as well. I make sure that the ears are dried out well after baths and swims, and only use the wash if necessary. My boy had yuk ears when we first got him, but once the diet was changed, and a few good cleanings, he's been good to go ever since.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss7373
I've fostered quite a few dogs for rescue. Many of them came to me with nasty, yucky, inflamed and sore ears. All were on poor quality food before they came to me. All of them improved dramatically once they were on premium (and grain free) food for 4-6 weeks. I would say that the vast majority of dogs I have seen with chronically yeasty ears are the result of food allergies....
This has also been my experience, fostering one dog after another for Rottie rescue, for more than a decade.

And, not only did their ear conditions go away, their coats improved markedly once they started eating a good food.

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011

Old 10-29-2009, 09:47 PM

Odus has the same yeast in his ears. His vet prescribes Mometamax drops. It costs around $25.00. The vet says if it doesn't clear up after using these drops then it may be his food. But most likely it's from swimming. He had the same thing last year because in the summer we spend alot of time at the beach in the water and possibly I don't get the water out of his ears. I would suggest you try Mometamax. Keep us posted!

Oh yeah, the yeast is the color of dried blood.