Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 06:11 AM

Mouse bait...is anything safe for pets?

I want to ask if anyone has any knowledge on this subject. The mice are moving into our garage for the winter! I'm thinking that the only safe measure would be mouse traps, put into an area where my animals can't easily get to them. I am wondering about bait though, but I'm concerned not so much with my animals getting into it, but perhaps one of them catching the mouse after it eats the bait. The garage is not a place where we let our dog and cats roam, but sometimes the cats will run out there when they see the chance, and as for the dog, we just usually enter and exit through. Thanks for anyone's knowledge you have to offer.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:35 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Mouse bait...is anything safe for pets?

I would not be putting out mouse bait if you have animals around. The dog or cat can get into the bait or as you mentioned, eat the mouse that is dying from the bait. Also if the mouse eats the bait, they often die inside the walls or places that are hard to get into. The smell of a dead mouse is just awful. It can just about put you out of the house with the stink.

I use the new plastic mouse traps. They work really well, are easy to set, and you just squeeze the trap (like a clothes pin) to release the dead mouse into the garbage. I put a tiny dab of peanut butter on the lever and they work great.
Put the traps somewhere that the dog or cat cannot get to them...high on a shelf or in a box,etc.

The mice are starting to come in for the winter....I've caught a couple in the kennel already in the last week.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 10-06-2009, 06:56 AM

Re: Mouse bait...is anything safe for pets?

Here we have sticky sheet mouse traps. We keep them on the mouse movement areas. Once the rat passes on the sheet, its nails stick into the gum sheet & cannot move. The rats will be alive & next morning we dispose them.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 AM

I've used the traps that are enclosed, sort of like a little house with the snap inside. To entice the mice, there is a glob of peanut butter inside the house. Of course, Buddy loves peanut butter so I keep this well out of reach. I just couldn't stand to see the mouse so all I get to see is the tail. My concern is about what the mouse has been eating, poison included, somewhere else not to mention what disease they might carry.
King, my wonderful GS, waiting at the bridge, 14 yo

Old 10-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Valued Member

We have a shed out back that we built about 6 years ago. I was worried about mice, as it seems no matter how well sealed those little rodents can get in. I had read somewhere that the smell of mothballs is a deterrent. I went out and bought 3 boxes of mothballs, took some very small cardboard boxes ( almost the size you'd put jewelry in) put some mothballs in the boxes, leaving the boxes open, and set them between the studs on the sill plate.

We have never had a problem with mice in that shed. Now, we've never had a huge mouse problem. Maybe evey other year or so, I'd see a mouse in the garage which is not attatched to the house, so I know they're around here. I also take the hair from when I brush the dogs and cats and when it gets cooler/colder....like now, I spread that around the outside of the shed.

**We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. Immanuel Kant

Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Valued Member

[SIZE=4]DO NOT GET RAT BAIT!! [/SIZE][SIZE=2]I say this from experiance. Going back 13 years or so, we had my daughter's Rottie Raja while they were making a transition to another AF base. Within a blink of an eye, Raja found rat bait in our garage (which to this day we can't even remember buying it) and proceeded to eat it. [/SIZE]

Thank goodness I was fast on my feet (that day) grabbed her AND THE OPEN BAG along with sweeping up what was on the garage floor and rushed her to the vets. It was a close call. He pumped her stomach. He also knew how much she ingested as he weighed the bag and left overs if you will and knew how to treat from there.

Dogs love rat bait. It's like cotton candy and so so good. And they know how to find it!!!

Buy traps and bait with peanut butter. Rats/mice love peanut butter.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 PM

get a cat. LOL. my cat has caught two in the last week so I think the mice are trying to migrate inside our garage as well.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:29 PM

i'd suggest no rat bait...but if you do, make sure is one that vitamin k is the antedote and always keep package with you in case of emergency.
but if cats have access, try the new plastic baits or metal have a heart traps.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 10-06-2009, 01:45 PM

One winter I started getting screws in my garage (which look like ugly mice)...I purchased a Havahart which would catch the little critters, and then I'd walk them down to the park for release. They work quite well and your pets can't get at the mouse once trapped.
Have-A-Heart Traps | Havahart Animal Traps | Live Animal Trapping

Several months ago, a family that adopted one of my fosters was moving a garbage can from the garage out to the curb, but left it in the kitchen momentarily. Someone had thrown mouse bait (two types, a poison AND a mouse bomb) into the can at one point...the dogs got into it. Many, many dollars later, the dogs are fine (actually it looks like her other dog ate all of it but Rock got treated as well just in case), but I really question how safe it is to have anything like that around pets.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Smile Re: Mouse bait...is anything safe for pets?

Thanks for all of the wonderful posts! I was thinking to myself that I shouldn't take the chance, but I thought I'd ask anyway! You are all great! :)

Old 10-07-2009, 07:47 PM

Mouse traps are simple to bait... we tend to use the have a heart cage/trap ones inside the actual house. I wouldn't use glue boards, the snap-traps, any kind of artificial/chemical bait or poison around dogs. Mice simply adore peanut butter, probably because its one of those scents thats easy to pick up on... (we usually put it on a cracker, not for them but to make it easier to clean up).