Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 02:14 PM

Puppy has a fever.

I'm new and this is our first rottie - Tasha will be 13 weeks Friday. She's got an appointment with the vet this afternoon and I'm hoping he can shed some light on what might be going on. Yesterday, she started panting (not from heat or activity) and her breathing seems to be faster (while awake). She's been eating fine until lunch today. Barely ate anything, doesn't want to come inside and currently sleeping out on our deck under a chair. Her nose is warm, as are her ears. She's had her first heartworm pill September 1, she's up to date on vaccines, etc. I'm so worried. Puppies don't just get a fever unless there is something seriously wrong, correct?

BTW - this forum has been incredibly helpful to us. We've began reading it before we even brought our puppy home. Thanks for all the helpful info!

Old 09-23-2009, 03:03 PM
One of the Old Folks

Re: Puppy has a fever.

Yes...a puppy panting and not eating is very serious. Glad that you are taking puppy to the vet. It could be so many things...upset tummy, viral infection,worms,?? etc. Make sure they have a good listen to the heart. Rottweilers do have heart problems...and the panting could be a sign of problems.
Let us know how your vet visit goes.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 09-23-2009, 05:06 PM

Re: Puppy has a fever.

Thank you. As usual, and just like when my two girls were babies, I got her to the vet and she acted totally normal and well. No fever - which I was surprised. She sure had no problem eating a few "cookies" while getting checked. A stool sample was taken and she was sent home. I think this could stem from feeding her Innova and slowly adding in raw ground turkey. I'm sticking with the dry Innova and nixing the idea of eventually going 50-50 raw/kibble. So, at this point, it's more of a wait and see.