Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 07:57 PM

My rottweiler puppy is not eating

Hi, My rottweiler puppy is not interested in his food. I dont know what it is. We would put his food in the crate and he would go in and eat. Lately we had to push him to eat. He gets fed three times a day. his food is taste of the wild. I think he is around five months. He was born on march 16 by the way. any help would be great.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Valued Member

Re: My rottweiler puppy is not eating

How much food is he being fed in each meal? You said he eats three times/day, but exactly how much is he fed each day?

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011

Old 08-20-2009, 03:27 PM

He is eating a cup and a half at each meal. he weighs 47 pounds.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:51 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: My rottweiler puppy is not eating

Sounds like too much food...cut him back to two meals a day now. He's old enough...and try feeding 2 cups per meal. 4 cups should be enough for him.
His weight sounds good. You could also try feeding him another food...there is no reason not to, unless you dog is sick,etc. You can also add a tablespoon of canned food, or a spoonful of plain, natural yogurt on his kibble.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 08-20-2009, 09:48 PM

I too am going through this with my guy. I feed him 2cups twice a day and he is 7months. Sometimes he will eat all of his food and want more, others he will eat most, a couple times he didn't eat one meal. I chalk it up to the heat and the fact that he pretty much lays around all day so he doesn't spend much energy. We play inside but it's not the same as going for walks to parks and playing and running etc... As long as your dog is keeping weight on and seems normal and healthy I wouldn't worry too much about it. My guy still bounces off the walls inside so I'm not worried about it, and he's not skinny, he might actually have 2-4lbs extra.

At the Bridge:
Aries- Gone but not forgotten-04/17/08 - 05/02/09

Old 08-21-2009, 11:37 PM

I had this problem for the longest time before I switched to raw. Sometimes I think dogs just get bored of their food, although I don't know of any puppies being so picky w/ food.

Lily's always hated kibble, no matter the brand. It just is a bore to eat, I guess. I'd spice it up with yogurt, or wet food, or something like that, and cut back to twice a day.

Sometimes all my dogs would need to spice their food up would be a 1/3 cup of milk. Like cereal. Or you could put cut up banana in it once in awhile, or green beans, or other veggies. Some dogs just want a little variety.

As you well know, variety is the spice of life.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:44 AM

Same problem here. Butch is going 8 months - and does the sniff, nibble-a-little, and leave. I am also getting the feeling that he is bored of dry food. I will try the yoghurt, and throwing in other stuff as well and see how it works out.