Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 11:45 PM

Unhappy Fatty tumors

Help both my boys has fatty tumor not cancer

I need your help,the only thing that they have in common is the dog food they eat.
Nutro Natural Choice
they do not get any table food,has any one on Rottweiler Forums have this problem?
I just had OZ operated on they took out a fatty tumor 91/2 pounds.He also has other to be removed.Taz needs to have one removed also
The vet said it is just my bad luck.I think it is the food?
please help me

Monika
Oz and Taz's Mom

Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 PM

Re: Fatty tumors

Had them too, on well bred dog, just removed them and moved on. I dont think it's the food cause he was a puppy on very premium food, but then again not a vet. It has not grown back so i assume that is it.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:58 PM

thank you for your reply

i have had dogs all my life,never any thing like this

Monika
Oz and Tazs mom

Old 07-27-2009, 12:07 AM

New to me too, freaked out but all is well. Dont know much about Lipomas but it was benign and my dog is fine.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 AM

thanks again

did it cost $2000.00 to have it removed
did your dog have tubes running thru him and drip blood every where

Monika

Old 07-27-2009, 06:46 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Fatty tumors

I would try to get them off of Nutro...it's a mid quality food. Your dogs could be eating a much better quality food, that is meat based.

I do remember a study a few years ago, that found that dogs eating grain based diets, high in carbs, were more prone to fatty tumors (lipomas). The liver cannot break down the fat produced by the carbs in the diet. From my own observations, dogs that have lipomas are always on high carb diets, eating very little meats have lipomas. I've also gotten their owner's to change diets to Orijen or other no grain diets or even raw, and the tumors have gotten smaller after 5-6 months.

I've always fed my dogs meat based diets..either raw, or home cooked or super premium kibble, and kitchen scraps ( lean meats, leftover veggies, fruits,etc.) and have had multiple dogs for over 30 years and have never had a dog with a lipoma.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 07-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Valued Member

Bucky has been on Canidae almost his whole going on 10 years. He has a large fatty tumor on his chest that has been there for quite some time. My Vet said that so long as it doesn't grow or cause discomfort to just monitor it - it wasn't necessary to remove it.

I would estimate the dimensions as 3 inch by a 2 inch or so - has been pretty consistant.
Gone Only From My Eyes - Forever in My Heart

Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Valued Member

Our oldest bitch (private rescue at 6 mo old or so, bought from a pet store, now 10 yo +/-) has a very large fatty tumor on the inside of her left thigh. It's been removed twice and each time has grown back. Tula saw her vet about a week ago--DH and I wanted to hear Dr Donna's opinion about removing it yet a third time.

(Dr Donna told us what we thought she'd say. And that is to leave it be. Tula has other fatty tumors (including one on her right shoulder and has a growth that can be felt in her stomach area). Dr Donna's opinion is that since Tula is as old as she is, still gets around well, is still a food hog, and is still enjoying life, we should let well enough alone. Another factor she told us to consider is that Tula's weak nerves will make the whole process related to surgery highly stressful for her.).

As our dog, Tula ate premium kibbles (Wellness, Innova, Evo, and CA Nat) before being switched to the raw prey model 25 months ago.

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011

Old 07-27-2009, 12:50 PM

Sheena had numerous fatty tumors on her body. The largest one on her chest which grew to be the size of a walnut. Our vet said as long as it didn't interfere with her organs or her ability to walk, etc. just leave it alone. He especially didn't like putting a older dog under just to remove a fatty tumor if not necessary.
Good food certainly is a lot better to feed your boy - other than that I haven't heard of anything that will prevent these fatty tumors.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:20 PM

some dog lines and or breeds are more prone to them.
they are benign, and unless impeeding movement or causing discomfort, it is best to leave alone. some grow right back when removed.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 07-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by targonrotts
...some grow right back when removed.
Our Tula is proof of this.

The fatty tumor on her leg was removed twice. Each time it grew back.

Dr Donna did tell us it might, but DH and I opted to have it removed.

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC

Old 07-28-2009, 01:44 AM

Our Jeremiah has a "mass vs. cyst vs. abscess" as per our vet today, on his right rear foot about where a 5th toe might be, we had it needle aspirated at the vet 10 months ago, and no cancer cells were seen, here in the past week and a half, part of it has opened in the form of an ulcer and is not closing, total size of lump is about 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch diameter, firm, moveable (slightly) with tiny white granular appearance in the opening surrounded with pink, red, amd seeps very little, some blood when his paw rubs on the floor. he is scheduled for surgery on Wednesday, hoping anyone has any similar experiences,??? he is 2 years old and we also plan to have him neutered as he will be under for the foot surgery.
Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers cause I know the power of prayer and the support we all give each other is priceless, Thanks to all....

Old 07-28-2009, 01:54 AM

Lipoma on my dog was not caused by food, we feed orijen! Had it since he was pup just got bigger and bigger. Did not really care except it was on inside hip towards the ring and very obvious if a judge was looking at it. So we removed it and there were actually 2 yes about 2-300 with teeth cleaning, i figured while he was under what the heck.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:55 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Fatty tumors

I do remember there was an article in Whole-Dog-Journal about lipomas. It also mentioned that certain breeds tend to get them more...I know they are very common in Labs. It also said that older, overweight dogs tend to have them more also.
For some reason the liver cannot metabolize the fat and the fat cells start building up in certain areas of the body.
It was also mentioned in the article that Chinese herbs have helped reduce their size.
There's lots of information on the net...just do a search on 'canine lipomas '.

It would be interesting to know if dogs fed raw their whole life get lipomas.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 07-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunie's mom
...older, overweight dogs tend to have them more also...
Tula is proof of the older dog getting fatty tumors.

No correlation, tho, between her weight and her having them!