Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 09:59 PM

Hot spots

Now that the weather is getting warmer and very humid - my 11 month old male rottweiler is frequently getting hot spots under the chin, side of head etc. Is there any way to rduce the incidences. My old boy who passed on last year never had this problem - any ideas why it occurs? He is on raw diet twice a week and on other days is on Innova adult. My jack russell aged 2 years is fine so far (touch wood). What medication or cream etc should I use - I hesitate uisng any form of medication longterm for side effects.

Thanks so much for the advice.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:27 PM

Re: Hot spots

Have you asked the breeder of your puppy if he or she has any insight?

I wonder if your boy could be allergic to one of the protein sources he's being fed?

I hope you get to the root of the issue. My first Rottie had hot spots. They were dreadful things.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:45 PM

You appear to be feeding a decent diet, but sometimes grain will cause hot spots. Since you are feeding Innova can you get California Natural (same mfg.)? Or maybe Evo (no grain). I haven't had a hot spot in years but I used to treat with Gold Bond powder to dry it out.

A/C CH Darlburgs Fatal Attraction CD RE HSAs CX TT
GCH Darrlburgs Something Special V Ikier CD RE CX TT
CH Lucky CDX TT CGC 01/17/94 - 05/17/07
CH Moe CD RE TT CGC 11/18/99 - 02/18/08

Old 06-15-2009, 11:54 PM

Our successful hotspot remedy involved epsom salt soaks and rottie balm posted on here by a member a while back, I'll go see if I can find the link.

I also shaved off the fur around the spot to give it a chance to dry out.

Frequent hotspots could definitely be a sign of a protien or grain intolerance.

Owned by B.A. BEARacus PCD, CGN, RA, FDCh, CRVCL, CRXT, CRS, ATD, HT, JHDs, ADC, SGDC

Old 06-16-2009, 02:31 AM

Hi, thanks for the replies. I hope you find the link. My boy will not go near a shaver - he bolts off. His hot spot seems to occur in warmer weather and high humidity. Hope your Epsom treatment works. Looking forward to the link. Many thanks.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:54 AM

I used a pair of sharp scissors to cut Otto's hair away from his hot spots. I couldn't cut the hair as tidily with scissors as a shaver could, so he looked sort of ratty, but the scissors did the job.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:05 PM

here's the wonderful balm, I think I used aloe gel instead of the cream reccomended

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/nut...ie-balm-o.html

As for the epsom salts. I just filled the bathroom sink with warm water, added 1 cup salts and used a face cloth to squeeze the solution on the spot. Bear was in the tub for easy cleanup.

Owned by B.A. BEARacus PCD, CGN, RA, FDCh, CRVCL, CRXT, CRS, ATD, HT, JHDs, ADC, SGDC

Old 06-17-2009, 01:44 PM

it can happen due to any irritation. soap residue from bath, insect bites, allergies.
when gets a bath, make sure you completely rinse. also add fatty acids to food.
if has wrinkles/loose skin on face, wipe them, keep dry.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 06-17-2009, 02:53 PM

PLease help a nubie out. what are hot spot? what do they look like? I saw what looked like pimple on my boys chin this morning while removing the sleepies from his eyes. Thought the kid had developed acne. :)

Old 06-17-2009, 04:30 PM

I've used Listerine a few times a day and it works. Just soak a cotton ball and dab the area. Just don't get it in the dogs eyes. Yes it burns for a second, but then it sooths the spot and dries it up. It also works as an antiseptic.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Old 06-17-2009, 11:15 PM

Cornona ointment (available at horse and cattle supply stores like Tractor Supply) is a miracle! But first make sure this is not something other than a hot spot! Get a Vet to take a look. Could be anything from hotspot to mange. If it is mange, you will need more than over the counter remedies!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiselsMomma View Post
PLease help a nubie out. what are hot spot? what do they look like? I saw what looked like pimple on my boys chin this morning while removing the sleepies from his eyes. Thought the kid had developed acne. :)
It very well may be a pimple or acne, just check with your vet. Usually they go away on their own.

In regards to a hot spot, it's and area on the skin that has become irritated. Usually by the time you notice it, your dog has worried the area and it is red, swollen and weepy with the fur matted on it.

Do a search on dogpile, google, whatever you use and it will pull up some pictures of them.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:42 PM

In the past, whenever one of my guys has had a hot spot, I found that soaking a tea bag in warm water and applying that to the hot spot several times a day helped it heal. This had been recommended to me by a former vet that I used to go to. The tannic acid in the tea bag is what does the trick. Also, as has been stated previously, keeping the hair shaved around it helps it dry out. Neosporin ointment or cream might also work well. My one Rotten child seemed to get hot spots at this time of year and we concluded that it was probably caused by a flea bite...even a single flea can cause hot spots to appear.
Tascha 10/22/95 - 7/15/03
Rory 3/19/01 - 3/3/07

Old 06-18-2009, 08:23 AM

We've used two things for hot spots. There is a supermarket (near the Hartz Mtn products) item called Sulfadene (pardon the spelling). It is bright yellow. Dab that on. It stings, so be careful around the eyes. Also, original Gold Bond powder works well too.

Bailey, Boxer mix, adopted Jan 2009 at apx 2 years old
Daisy, Rottie-with-the-beautiful-tail, 2000-2007 at the Bridge (with Alex Cocker 1984-1998 and Toby Beagle 1982-1999)

Old 06-18-2009, 08:43 AM

I do like jojo and use the listerine majority of the time. I keep it in a big spray bottle in the house and I keep a small travel spray bottle of it in my vehicle just in case. I use it for many purposes, not just the hot spots. If you have to go somewhere and you take the dog, but the dog appears a bit dirty or dusty, a quick spray and they shine like new money (and smell good too). For the really irritated ones I use the corrona. Its thick and it will keep it from getting infected and Ive also noticed that the hair comes back very quickly.