Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2009, 01:57 PM

Are berries toxic to dogs?

We are going to landscape our yard and expand our gardens. We will be adding blackberry, raspberry and blueberry plants. I know that some of our dog food includes blueberries, so I am guessing these are safe for dogs to eat. What about raspberries and blackberries? While we are always outside when our dog is in the yard so he wouldn't be able to graze on the plant, I don't want to have to worry if he eats a few. I have looked online and seen conflicting information about blackberries and raspberries being okay.

Down the road we may be adding kiwi and cherries too. So if you have input on that too please share.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:15 PM

Re: Are berries toxic to dogs?

regular berries- blueberries, raspberries, blackberries are fine my girls eat those plus banannas etc. All within reason. too much fruit can cause diarrhea
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 06-13-2009, 02:23 PM

Post Re: Are berries toxic to dogs?

Yes, all those berries are fine. Just watch that the dog does not start eating them off the canes, or pulling cherries off the low branches. Bruno our first Rott used to eat raspberries right off the canes, and pull cherries off, as well as eat ripe pears off the ground. A bit if fine, but too much fruit for dogs, as well as people can have explosive affects.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN
Duncan (Rescue)~A work in progress
At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 06-13-2009, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the comments. If there was any question, we would not have them. Thanks for the bm tips, I will be sure to limit his consumption.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:09 PM

Be cautious about the pits in the cherries. Pitted fruit contains arsenic. I would advise keeping the cherries (peaches, etc.) away from the dog.

The rest are fine. Our dogs learned to test for the ripe ones by gently tugging on the berries. Nothing like finding them al "pre-slimed" and under-ripe when you go to pick your own!

Linda

Old 06-14-2009, 06:03 AM

Post Re: Are berries toxic to dogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSSF View Post
Be cautious about the pits in the cherries. Pitted fruit contains arsenic. I would advise keeping the cherries (peaches, etc.) away from the dog.

The rest are fine. Our dogs learned to test for the ripe ones by gently tugging on the berries. Nothing like finding them al "pre-slimed" and under-ripe when you go to pick your own!

Linda
Peach pits may contain arsenic, but I think a dog would have to eat 50 pits to be affected? I don't think cherry pits do any harm....the raccoons have a party when our cherries are ripe (both sweet and sour cherries), and by observing the huge piles of poop under the trees...full of cherry pits...they seems to go right through the system, without doing any harm.
Children often swallow cherry pits, without any harm also.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN
Duncan (Rescue)~A work in progress
At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China