Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 AM

Unhappy Hip Dysplasia at 2 years old =(

My baby Sophie turns 2 years old this month and for the past few months after playing rough at the dog park or running a lot she would come home and would limp on her back right leg and had a hard time getting up.

We finally took her to the vet yesterday to get x-rays done to find out what the problem was and she was diagnosed with hip dysplasia in both hips but it's worse on the right.

They told us we will have to do a hip replacement eventually but to wait until it's really bad before going through with it.

We're going to start giving her glucosamine pills twice a day and taking her on short walks and take her swimming to build up her muscles. Also they recommended we have her lose 10lbs (she weighs 90).

Does anyone else have any suggestions to what else we could do for her?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Valued Member

Re: Hip Dysplasia at 2 years old =(

From where did you get your dog? If you got your girl from a good breeder, get in touch with him or her.

Touch wood, I've not had a personal dog with HD (cancer is my bane), but we have had orthopedically challenged dogs in the rescue program for which I volunteer. Some of them required surgery. Others lived comfortable lives because of owner management.

One of the biggest tips is to keep your dog lean. If your vet says to take off 10 lbs, I'd do that--for starters.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Novice Member

i would recomend that u take her for less walks say like once every other day and give her the best food that money can bye as it will help to keep her bones healthy. try giving her cod liver oil tablets every day as this will help keep her bones lubercated. the vet should of not told u to leave it till it gets worse as it should be done now as she is still young as her bones will heal more quickly we had the same problem with our golden retreiver she had her op at 9 months old. just try to keep the activity down as much as possible but u can take her swiming as this does not put any impact on the hips but she still might get sore as the bones are rubbing but it wont be as bad as impact rubbing when they are bounceing around and have her spayed as well as u will not be able to breed her as she will only produce unhealthy pups asthere is to many now a days

Old 05-12-2009, 04:13 PM

She is spayed, we got that done when she was a few months old. We are going to start taking her swimming as much as possible this summer and we were thinking about buying a pool for the backyard that she would love. We don't walk her very often anyways but we will start doing low impact walks a few times a week.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Valued Member

You've received good advice - keep your dog lean and make sure she gets frequent, low impact exercise that she can tolerate. Swimming is excellent.

You should also incorporate some supplements into her diet. Synovi G3 (available online) is one of my favorite glucosamine/MSM supplements. You might also ask your vet about Lubrisyn, it is a hyaluronic acid supplement.

Hopefully with some weight loss and the supplements, she will not need additional pain relief. But if she does, pursue that option. It's important to keep her comfortable. Dog Gone Pain is a good starting point for many, though I've personally never seen many effects from it.

Pieka, NW2, CD-C, RL2, RL1X, RN, BH, CGC
Whiskey, CD, RN, CGC, TT
Louie, CGC, TDI
Sofia, CGC., TDI, TT, HIC, (1997-2008)

Old 05-12-2009, 06:30 PM

I don't know if this site will allow me to post a link but I'll give it a try. I'm not advertising anything or and kennel so maybe it will be okay.

I don't know if this works but it's worth reading and trying.

ESTER-C

Ester-C: Miracle Cure for Hip Dysplasia???
Bronco Andy's Gretchen
T-Rex
Shrek
rescue Dylan
Always remembered MeMo and Chase

Old 06-08-2009, 07:43 AM

Hi, Sorry to hear about your dog. Our Rottie "Biggie" who is 10 months old was diagnosed with severe Hip Dysplasia 5 months back. At that time the first vet suggested that we give him Glucusamine /MSM 1000mg a day and prescribed RIMADYL for pain. As I started doing some research on H.D. more and more articles suggested that the younger the dog[had FHO Surgery] the better for a full recovery. Well, needless to say we decided to get a second opinion and went to see Dr. Michael P. Mordaunt at Town & Country Animal Hospital in Miami, Florida. Dr. Mordaunt looked at the xrays, had Biggie walk back and forth and then sat down with us and explained to us his opinion on what Biggie needed in order to be free of pain as well as function as any young dog should be able to. "He told us that the medications and vitamins were like putting a ban-aid on a cut that needed stiches, but never got them". He said his best bet was to have an FHO surgery a.s.a.p on his left hip and then wait a couple of months to have his right one done. He said that due his young age the success rate was excellent and more due to the fact of being a Rottweiler in which they could build up their muscles better then most other dog breeds. Well, we left Biggie there that same day [2/13/09] FHO surgery was done on his left hip and came home two days later. first week was pretty difficult for him and he was on pain meds for a couple of days. By the 7 day we started walking him one day [ 1/2 a block] as the doctor suggested. Little by little the walks were extended and within weeks Biggie was walking and running as he should be except for the right leg which would shake badly off and on. Last Thursday Biggie went back for his final surgery [fho] on the right hip. He stayed at the hospital for two days and picked him up on Saturday. We had prepared ourselves
before hand thinking that he was going to be in more pain this time around, but we were wrong. Biggie was moving around much better and even utilizing his right leg. Dr. Mordaunt said that Biggie was going to be as close to normal as a Rottie should be within 6 months.
We are so happy that we went ahead and had the surgery performed on Biggie. Today I can tell you that with all sincerity that the longer your dog goes without the surgery the worst he is going to get. I hope you think about it and perhaps get a second opinion.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Novice Member

Our 7month old was diagnosis with sever bilateral Hip dysplasia. We could not afford bilateral Hip replacement at 10,000 dollars. We took Zeus to ortho surgeon. We elected to do bilateral femur head osteotomy. He just went in through the groin and cut of the head of the femur, both at the same time. Zeus did very well and is now 5 months postop. He is a very happy, loving, pain free 1year old now. There is not anything he can't do. Recover was quick. So glad we went this route. Have had friends that we recommend to our ortho surgeon with even older dogs and have had same surgery and are doing great. Good luck.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Novice Member

Our Rottie, Zeus Had Bilateral Femoral Head Osteotomy. We elected to do this as hip replacement are very expensive and if they fail they fail bad. It cost us 2000.00 for both hips and they were done at the same time and he is doing great. There is nothing he can't do. Runs, jumps, loves to fetch. He is pain free walks, runs, jumps without any problems. He was 8 months at time of surgery and now 14 months. We have sent friends to same Vet and their dogs are doing great. A lab16 months and a Great Dade 2 years. Good luck