Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 03:38 PM

Cattle/Horse Ivermectin use in dogs

I've been doing a lot of reading on using Ivermectin labeled for cattle as a heartworm prevenitive in dogs. I have waded through a lot of information (some good, some bad) from Vets, chemists and pharmacists.

I would appreciate your input as to whether or not I have come to a correct conclusion regarding the particulars and details.

IVERMECTIN USE IN DOGS

1% Ivomec Injectable (10 mg/ml) (NOT Ivomec Plus which is also labeled for Fluke worms).
1ml mixed with 9ml propylene glycol makes 10 mg in 10 ml (1,000 mcg/1ml)
American Livestock and Pet Supply, Inc. - Ivomec 1% Cattle and Swine

Durvet Pour On is 5 mg/ml (500 mcg/1ml). 2ml mixed with 8ml propylene glycol makes 10 mg in 10 ml (1,000 mcg/1ml)
Durvet Product Detail: IVERMECTIN POUR-ON

Heartgard dose is 0.003-0.006 mg/kg (3-6 mcg/kg)
High dose of 6 mcg/kg equals 2.72 mcg/pound.

Dosing formula: Weight of dog in pounds multiplied by 2.72 then divided by 1,000 equals the dose in mililiters. Or as I remember from school: Desired divided by Have multipliied by Solution.

Reference chart:
60 lb. = 0.16 ml of solution
65 lb. = 0.18 ml of solution
70 lb, = 0.19 ml of solution
75 lb. = 0.20 ml of solution
80 lb. = 0.22 ml of solution
85 lb. = 0.23 ml of solution
90 lb. = 0.24 ml of solution
95 lb. = 0.26 ml of solution
100 lb = 0.27 ml of solution

Old 04-08-2009, 03:58 PM

Re: Cattle/Horse Ivermectin use in dogs

In the past, our vet calculated the dosing for our 110 lb Rott. at 0.1mg/kg as a 5mg dose. We used the Ivermectin cattle (PLAIN) 10mg/ml and gave 1/2 ml orally. We would soak it into a piece of bread or some other treat to cut the taste & assure that they got it all. The liquid squirted into their mouth (as drawn up from the bottle) must have been bitter - they snorted, shook their heads & drooled profusely.

We no longer use this - we moved to using Revolution for fleas, GI parasite & heart worm control all in one.

Here is web site with the dosing:

Ivermectin (IvomecĀ®, HeartgardĀ®)
Dosing Information from that web site:

Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian. The dose for ivermectin varies from species to species and also depends on the intent of treatment. General dosing guidelines follow.

For dogs: Dose is 0.0015 to 0.003 mg per pound (0.003 to 0.006 mg/kg) once a month for heartworm prevention; 0.15 mg per pound (0.3 mg/kg) once, then repeat in 14 days for skin parasites; and 0.1 mg per pound (0.2 mg/kg) once for gastrointestinal parasites.

For cats: Dose is 0.012 mg per pound (0.024 mg/kg) once monthly for heartworm prevention.

The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects. Be certain to complete the prescription unless specifically directed by your veterinarian. Even if your pet feels better, the entire treatment plan should be completed to prevent relapse or prevent the development of resistance.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSSF View Post
For dogs: Dose is 0.0015 to 0.003 mg per pound (0.003 to 0.006 mg/kg) once a month for heartworm prevention;
If I'm doing my math correctly regarding both the dilution rate and the dosing, this is what the chart above reflects.

By diluting the ivermectin it is a lot easier to accurately draw up 2 tenths of a CC as oppossed to 2 hundredths.

I'm always a little sketchy on my math, and spelling

Old 04-08-2009, 08:28 PM

You can do the "heart worm dose", but our vet recommended using a low dose from the GI dosing - it would take care of any internal GI parasites as well as heart worm & it was a MEASUREABLE amount. Our vet questioned the suitability of dilution.

Linda

Old 04-09-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSSF View Post
You can do the "heart worm dose", but our vet recommended using a low dose from the GI dosing - it would take care of any internal GI parasites as well as heart worm & it was a MEASUREABLE amount. Our vet questioned the suitability of dilution.

Linda
How many cc's per pound of undiluted product did your vet recommend as a low GI dose?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 AM

As I had posted, in the past, our vet calculated the dosing for our 110 lb Rott. (at 0.1mg/kg low GI dose) at 5mg.
This comes to .045 mg/pound or .0045cc. For our 110lb dog, this was given as 1/2 cc of the solution.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:11 AM

Our vet has advised to dose:

.1 ml per 10lbs of dog. That's what we do, and we've been very satisfied.

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbearsmom View Post
Our vet has advised to dose:

.1 ml per 10lbs of dog. That's what we do, and we've been very satisfied.
Same dosage here........going on 5+ years......the entire group tests negative each year. I might have to re-evaluate if we had any small dogs - but with large dogs, this is very easy to do properly.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesfostermom View Post
Same dosage here........going on 5+ years......the entire group tests negative each year. I might have to re-evaluate if we had any small dogs - but with large dogs, this is very easy to do properly.
I've read that same dosage in many places, and certainly you cannot argue with success. At the same time, it has been pointed out to me how that dosage is WAY higher than the Heartgard. I realize the Heartgard is targeting just preventing heart worms and the higher dose being mentioned takes care of any worms that may be in the GI tract. My dogs have never shown any signs beyond puppyhood of any worms, so I question the need in my case to give more of what is really a poison to the dogs.

A little background on why I am just now looking into this. I have used the Sentinel for many years. I like how it takes care of heart worm prevention, all worms except tape, and keeps my dogs flea free. The downside is that the price keeps rising. My thought is to use the Ivomec one month and then the Sentinel the next and see if it still keeps the fleas in check. This will obviously save money and keep the dogs/parasites from building an immunity to one particular medication. My thought, too, is that the Sentinel every other month will control any G.I. worms they may happen to contract.

Further research has told me to NOT use the Durvet I mentioned above. Where as Ivomec uses propylene glycol as a base, the Durvet, being a pour on instead of injectable, uses propanol alcohol as a base to facilitate quick evaporation once it's poured on the animal.

Off Topic, a big Thank You to this forum for allowing this discussion. Although I am critical of some of the thoughts put forth here and the forum's restrictions, such as no e-mails or PMs between members, open discussion such as this is a good thing. On two other boards I am on this topic was immediately locked because Ivomec is not labeled for dogs. FWIW, it was the same moderator on both of the other forums.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
I've read that same dosage in many places, and certainly you cannot argue with success. At the same time, it has been pointed out to me how that dosage is WAY higher than the Heartgard.

Off Topic, a big Thank You to this forum for allowing this discussion. Although I am critical of some of the thoughts put forth here and the forum's restrictions, such as no e-mails or PMs between members, open discussion such as this is a good thing. On two other boards I am on this topic was immediately locked because Ivomec is not labeled for dogs. FWIW, it was the same moderator on both of the other forums.
firemediceric - as you've seen - there is all kind of information on the net about dosages with this type of Ivomec - that's why I use the dosage provided to me by my veterinarian. She was also very upfront about the fact it is not approved for the use in dogs, to include the information that it has even been dangerous in certain breeds.

This was my decision to make - much the same as what food we feed, what collars we wear, what training facility we use, etc. I trust the information she provided to me and that I learned through my own research, and felt I was making a good informed decision for us - and after 5 years - I'm okay sharing our experience. But ultimately this is YOUR decision to make. The varying information on the net can cause confusion and without the input of our vet - I wouldn't have trusted what I was reading with 100% confidence.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesfostermom View Post
The varying information on the net can cause confusion and without the input of our vet - I wouldn't have trusted what I was reading with 100% confidence.
So true about the "Varying information." Unfortunately, many vets are no more informed than the serious owner, or just don't want to share any information which may cut into their profits.

Information is power, and I'm always willing to learn

Old 04-10-2009, 01:15 PM

working here at a vets...
when we do use ivomec brand ivermectin we use .1 cc per 10 lbs.
careful with breeds that are sensitive such as collies.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS