Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 04:30 PM

Bad Diarrhea

Hello all,

Has anyone had any experience on this? Roxie is 8 years old. She normally has an iron stomach because I sometimes give her aspirin (when I've run out of Rymadil) For the last couple of days, she seemed a bit slowed, but I thought it was her hips bothering her. Yesterday she had a bit of diarrhea and then last night it was in and out several times during the night. Since it was dark, I could not see what she was doing. This morning I let her out in the yard and that's when I saw the projectile diarrhea. She was abnormally panting during the night so I took her to the vet first thing this AM. He asked if there was anything different in her diet and I said no. But what I had noticed is that she had been eating snow. And once in a while, I would catch her drinking from the bird bath! The vet said that the bird bath did it. There are bacteria in there such as bochalism!! He gave Roxie two antiobiotic shots and more pills to take home with me. He also gave me these huge pills for the diarrhea. Well as I took her out to the car, she had some bloody diarrhea. I went in and told the vet and he said that it can and does happen with serious bacteria. He told me to call in a couple of days and let them know how she's doing, but that she should be OK. Sorry this is so long, but I need some advice. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2009, 05:00 PM

Re: Bad Diarrhea

Did the vet actually do any tests?

It is entirely possible that something in the stagnant bird feeder water upset her stomach. And yes, a good round of diarrhea can cause some bloody stools. If the blood gets worse, go to the vet right away.

I do think you are right to be concerned - an 8 year old is getting up there. I would give her the antibiotics and anti-diarrheal, as per the vet. I would also put her on a bland diet (very overcooked white rice and boiled chicken) for at least 48 hours. Remember, small meals are more likely to be tolerated If her tummy settles, you can start adding her regular food back in slowly.

Keep an eye out to make sure she's drinking sufficient (clean) water. Older dogs dehydrate fast. If she doesn't seem much better in 48 hours, I would go back to the vet. She's an older girl and I don't let things slide in seniors.

Baby her, let her rest, she probably feels pretty horrible. And clean out that bird feeder!

Pieka, CD-C, RL2, RL1X, RN, BH, CGC
Whiskey, CD, RN, CGC, TT
Louie, CGC, TDI
Sofia, CGC., TDI, TT, HIC, (1997-2008)

Old 02-12-2009, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. Roxie has been sleeping for the last hour. Poor girl! She's exhausted.

The vet did not do any tests....as soon as I said bird bath, it was like he knew that this was the problem. The bird bath was filled with snow (Chicago) and then when the snow melted, the water just froze except for the day before yesterday when it was 60 degrees out. That's when she started drinking it. At this point, the water has frozen again. I have covered the bird bath with some plywood so she can't get to it until it warms up outside and I can go out and clean it with a little bleach.

I finally got her to take the anti diarrhea pills and she has not gone for at least an hour. She had bloody diarrhea at least twice after I got her home from the vet. I'm going to boil some rice now so that it has cooled off by the time she wakes up. I've been lucky because she has never been this sick before. I can't stand to see her like this.

Thank you so much!

Old 02-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Valued Member

One other thing you mention is asprin. While Roxie may have the proverbial cast iron stomach asprin can sometimes upset the stomach. If you do need to give them I would recommend Ascriptin. It's still asprin but it buffered with Maalox which makes it easier on the stomach.

Good luck and as Bliss said baby the sweet girl. I hope she's feeling better soon.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:38 PM

Thanks! Actually I do give her the Ascriptin. The doctor suggested this years ago for me and then the vet had also mentioned giving it to Roxie a few years back.

Thanks again for your help and concern.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:55 PM

LOla now 4yrs had very bad diarrhea on and off for most of her puppy hood. She was finally diagnosed with acute bacterial overgrowth in her belly and intestines. After a year of trying all kinds of meds, she was given amoxicillin. 500 mil 3xdaily to start then down to 1per day. She is allowed no dog food so I cook a a simple menu for her. Every now and then the bacteria kicks up again and she will have diarrhea and vomiting. Amoxicillin is the only antibiotic that was ever successful with the kind of bacteria she had. The name of the test was,MAL Digestion Profile. This was able to determine the type of bacteria she was producing.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Valued Member

The antibiotics and anti-diarrheal should do the trick fairly quickly. Does your vet know that you give aspirin when you run out of Rymadil? The reason I ask is because my vet wouldn't let my old girl start Rymadil for 3 days because I had given her an aspirin.
47,979 companion animals euthanized in NJ in 2003
49,975 in 2004, 40,706 in 2005
Report Abuse: NJSPCA 800-582-5979
BAN IRRESPONSIBILITY, NOT BREEDS

Old 02-12-2009, 11:39 PM

Well, I just let Roxie out for the first time since 3:30 this afternoon. She still has the bloody diarrhea, but she's hungry and is acting pretty normal (still somewhat tired but alert). She has an appetite, but all I have given her is some rice about 2 hours ago and then again some just now. She's also drinking water. She's gobbling it up as if she hasn't eaten in days so I think that's a good sign. I guess we'll wait the 48 hours and see what happens.

Thanks all for your good advice!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:23 AM

Make sure you're giving her some boiled chicken or hamburger with that rice. She still needs protein!

Pieka, CD-C, RL2, RL1X, RN, BH, CGC
Whiskey, CD, RN, CGC, TT
Louie, CGC, TDI
Sofia, CGC., TDI, TT, HIC, (1997-2008)

Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 AM

I'm so sorry you and your girl are going thru this! I know all too well how you feel. Sascha had blowout pooh for 1 month straight after getting a hold of a dead bunny. Test after Test after Test and the vet couldn't come up with anything. Finally after switching vets and some more tests she was diagnosed with possible IBD (no solid diagnosis because I just couldn't put her thru the endoscopy). I do remember during the thick of it all she had a few bloody stools and if I remember correctly the vet said it could be due to the excessive diarrhea and inflamed intenstines and bowels. Please forgive me if I'm wrong on that it was 6 mos ago and honestly, my memory is not that great. I agree with everyone else, bland diet until you see some improvement in the stools. Get her on a probiotic if she isn't on one already. And slow and easy with the feedings - don't rush her back onto her regular food. Good luck!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 PM

Thank you all for your concern. Roxie is actually MUCH better today. I'm giving her the rice and chicken (boiled) in small dosages a few times a day. There has been no bowel movement since last night, but I figure she really has nothing left. I just gave her her antibiotics and anti-diarrhea medicine after her last meal. She is very hungry, but I'm moving slowly with the meals. She's drinking water so I think my girl is on her way back to normal. The only thing is she still seems a little depressed. Could it be she's drained?

Thanks again everyone!

Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Valued Member

Of course. It would be no different than if we had the flu or such. You may also want to get some pedialyte(sp) . Even if Roxie is drinking water diarrhea can really dehydrate her. Just put some in with her water.

Also if it was me I would still only be feeding her twice a day. Even the extra meals no matter how small could upset her digestive tract. Feed once in morning and let that settle, than once again at night and even though it's hard to resist, no treats till this is all cleared up.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:21 PM

When my dogs have Diarrhea - for the first day I give them lots of water and give them rice & chicken [home cooked] - and usually that settles things down. If they don't sort themselves by then - a visit to the vet is in order then.

Last edited by itzivy; 02-13-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:51 PM

Antiboltics should work just fine. I asume it was Flagyl and Amocillian? It should clear it up and don't worry if she don't go for acouple days after this episode. Good Luck

Old 02-14-2009, 01:04 AM

Sorry to hear about your pup. Please have the vet check for Giarrdia and coccidia. Reading your post reminded me of the time my pups had that and bacterial overgrowth.

good luck and maybe go with a less expensive food for a short while like eukanuba and rice and boiled chicken, that did the trick for us. THen slowly go back to normal.

I had to hose down the yard for several weeks. The blue buffalo was too hard on her as well as other higher quality foods.

good luck and go to the vet.