Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 02:30 PM

Fish Oil Side Effects and Warnings

Side Effects and Warnings The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) classifies omega-3 fatty acids from fish as GRAS (Generally Regarded as Safe). Caution may be warranted, however, in diabetic patients due to potential (albeit unlikely) increases in blood sugar levels, patients at risk of bleeding, or in those with high levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL). Fish meat may contain methylmercury and caution is warranted in young children and pregnant/breastfeeding women.

Omega-3 fatty acids may increase the risk of bleeding, although there is little evidence of significant bleeding risk at lower doses. Very large intakes of fish oil/omega-3 fatty acids ("Eskimo" amounts) may increase the risk of hemorrhagic (bleeding) stroke. High doses have also been associated with nosebleed and blood in the urine. Fish oils appear to decrease platelet aggregation and prolong bleeding time, increase fibrinolysis (breaking down of blood clots), and may reduce von Willebrand factor. Fish oil should be used cautiously in patients with abnormal heart rhythms (ventricular tachycardia).

Potentially harmful contaminants such as dioxins, methylmercury, and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are found in some species of fish. Methylmercury accumulates in fish meat more than in fish oil, and fish oil supplements appear to contain almost no mercury. Therefore, safety concerns apply to eating fish but likely not to ingesting fish oil supplements. Heavy metals are most harmful in young children and pregnant/nursing women.

Gastrointestinal upset is common with the use of fish oil supplements. Diarrhea may also occur, with potentially severe diarrhea at very high doses. There are also reports of increased burping, acid reflux/heartburn/indigestion, abdominal bloating, and abdominal pain. Fishy aftertaste is a common effect. Gastrointestinal side effects can be minimized if fish oils are taken with meals and if doses are started low and gradually increased.

Multiple human trials report small reductions in blood pressure with intake of omega-3 fatty acids. Reductions of 2-5 millimeters of mercury have been observed, and effects appear to be dose-responsive (higher doses have greater effects). DHA may have greater effects than EPA. Caution is warranted in patients with low blood pressure or in those taking blood-pressure lowering medications.

Fish oil has caused swelling of the nasal passages and the upper part of the pharynx (called nasopharyngitis) in some patients. Some patients taking fish oil developed upper respiratory tract infections.
Although slight increases in fasting blood glucose levels have been noted in patients with type 2 ("adult-onset") diabetes, the available scientific evidence suggests that there are no significant long-term effects of fish oil in patients with diabetes, including no changes in hemoglobin A 1c levels. Limited reports in the 1980s of increased insulin needs in diabetic patients taking long-term fish oils may be related to other dietary changes or weight gain.

Fish oil taken for many months may cause a deficiency of vitamin E, and therefore vitamin E is added to many commercial fish oil products. As a result, regular use of vitamin E-enriched products may lead to elevated levels of this fat-soluble vitamin. Fish liver oil contains the fat-soluble vitamins A and D, and therefore fish liver oil products (such as cod liver oil) may increase the risk of vitamin A or D toxicity.

Increases (worsening) in low-density lipoprotein levels ("bad cholesterol") by 5-10% are observed with intake of omega-3 fatty acids. Effects are dose-dependent.

Mild elevations in liver function tests (alanine aminotransferase) and skin rashes have been reported rarely. There are also rare reports of mania in patients with bipolar disorder or major depression. Restlessness and formication (the sensation of ants crawling on the skin) have also been reported.

Omega-3 fatty acids, fish oil, alpha-linolenic acid - MayoClinic.com

Old 01-31-2009, 03:01 PM
Ancient Valued Member

Re: Fish Oil Side Effects and Warnings

I never use Fish oil because it is too generic (you rarely know what fish or from where)

I use salmon oil from named sources

Keep in mind that IF you feed salmon or fish oil you must also supplement with Vitamin E to blanace it
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 01-31-2009, 03:31 PM

I found the posted article when searching for ingredient information, specifically EPA and DHA, in the joint supplement we are giving our dogs. I was specifically looking for information about the potential for bleeding and this article confirmed that.

Because there are other potential side effects I thought it very appropriate information to share.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierrots View Post
I never use Fish oil because it is too generic (you rarely know what fish or from where)

I use salmon oil from named sources

Keep in mind that IF you feed salmon or fish oil you must also supplement with Vitamin E to blanace it
I did not know that... What do you get your Vitamin E from? I give Riddick salmon oil for his skin...
Southern Comfort The Chronicles of Riddick,TT, CGC
Laddie

Old 01-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Ancient Valued Member

I buy 90% of my supplements at Walmart
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 01-31-2009, 08:00 PM

How much Vitamin E do you give your dogs? My male is about 110 pounds and female about 108 pounds? Can too much vitamin E be toxic. I know its stored in the fat cells and it can be overdosed on? I give Salmon oil (Alaskan) to my dogs on their food.

Bosch (May 4, 2006)

Sassy (July 26, 2006)

Renods Dr Pepper ( Aug 22, 1994-July 3,2006)
Shadow (Jan 17, 1995- September 3, 2006)

Old 01-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Ancient Valued Member

I give EITHER 200 IU Vit E once a day (M-F) OR 400 IU (M, W, F)

I give 1 salmon oil capsule (M,W,F) to healthy dogs. Bea got quite a lot more when she had cancer
Itsy

Old 01-31-2009, 10:33 PM

I use Wildside Salmon oil. Which is wild Alaskan Salmon. All this has in it is the Salmon oil and extract of Rosemary. So I need to still add the Vitamin E?

Bosch (May 4, 2006)

Sassy (July 26, 2006)

Old 02-01-2009, 10:41 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Fish Oil Side Effects and Warnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddoc View Post
I use Wildside Salmon oil. Which is wild Alaskan Salmon. All this has in it is the Salmon oil and extract of Rosemary. So I need to still add the Vitamin E?
Yes, give one 400 IU capsule of vitamin E about 3 times per week. I usually throw one cap in every couple of days...or when I remember.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 02-01-2009, 02:27 PM

Thank you I learn something new everyday here. Its a great site :)

Bosch (May 4, 2006)

Sassy (July 26, 2006)