Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 06:39 PM

Cosequin vs Dasuquin

Whats the difference between the two? Varga will be 10 in Feb. She has HD and arthritis. The Cosequin doesn't seem to make much of a difference in her. She is having more and more trouble getting up lately and seems to be a bit stiffer than normal. I have tried to stay away from putting her on things like Rimadyl, but maybe its time? I have read a lot of good things here about Tramadol and plan to ask the vet about that for her. I want to keep her as comfortable as I possibly can. I realize at this age I am lucky to still have her, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

~Varga's Mom

Old 12-26-2008, 11:24 PM

Re: Cosequin vs Dasuquin

Do you have her on any other medications for her arthritis? I have a 9 year old who is on Zubrin- its an nsaid- and does wonders for her -

Makita has been on tramadol a year now and I cannot tell you how much of a difference it makes, it is relatively inexpensive, and it does not dope her up so to speak, as it is a form of a narcotic- between that and zubrin, we have had a very good year with not too many flare ups.

I only know about Dasequin- I know it is still somewhat new, and have heard good things, I had to discontinue it only because my girl has a terribly sensitive stomach. Prior to that we had a couple years of success on Glycoflexx 3.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:29 PM

My old girl was on both of the above - Dasuquin is the "upgraded Cosequin" Its pretty much the same but with soy based products and a few minor changes - also they say they wont sell to pet meds/internet pharmacies - they were using that as a marketing ploy in vet clinics so they would do the upgrade to it. That was their biggest marketing pitch when I met with one of their reps at work. My dogs HATED the taste of Dasuquin but loved the cosequin ( they are chewable tabs ) she had PLE and did fine with them. I did see a huge difference on the Cosequin with her. Come to think of it I still have an entire bottle of Dasiquin sitting in my dog "pharmacy" :)

Old 12-26-2008, 11:35 PM

Also - Tramadol is a great pain managment drug - but that is all it does - it is NOT an anti inflammatory. It is a opium based narcotic and a controlled substance and the dogs have/should be weaned off of it if/when you decide to stop it. When used in conjunction with a NSAID ( rimadyl/deramaxx) it lessens the dosage needed of the NSAID. I have seen many dogs that have a HUGE improvement in their quality of life with a pain protocol that includes Tramadol. The NSAID relieves inflammation in the joints, much like asprin would for you and the tramadol works more like a morphine type drug(not nearly as strong) There are many receptors of pain and a good pain managment protocol will include different drugs to block different types of pain. Its also nice because with any longterm NSAID use you can cause kidney/liver problems. By using them in conjunction with tramadol you can lessen the NSAID dosage and lessen the risk of kidney/liver damage. Normally we monitored dogs on NSAIDs with blood work. 14 days after starting do a 4 test ( BUN/CREAT/Phos/AlkPhos) and then every 4-6 months after that. Then you can catch a reaction before irreversable damage is done.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:47 PM

Post Re: Cosequin vs Dasuquin

Many many dogs I know will not eat the "new improved better dasuquin".
Are you sure you had your dog on first-the correct inittial starting dose-for as long as sugested? For many large Rotties it is 2 am and 2 pm for a good 3-4 weeks-until you see a difference then you can taper down to the "maintenance" dose. Some of mine manage on just 1 a day now.
It is a fine line with an older dog on the NSAIDS-Geri is SO right-make sure you do regular BW to catch any kidney-liver changes before they are irreversible. Hope she feels better soon!

Old 01-20-2009, 02:41 PM

I've no experience with Cosequin but we do use Dasuquin MSM and have done so for about 8 or 9 mos now for elbow dysplasia. If I remember correctly, Sascha's "loading" dose was 2 pills a day for 5 weeks then down to 1 a day. She LOVES them - when we shake the bottle she comes running for it. It's pricey but it works for her. Definitely be careful with the NSAIDs. We had a horrible experience with Deramaxx. I did not want to try Rimadyl so we opted to try Metacam after her ortho surgery and we met with great results. She has tummy/digestiion issues and the Metacam did not "stir" things up. Good luck with your girl! We also used Tramadol just to manage pain in the beginning and after surgery.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:41 PM

we've been using dasiquin for several months and love it. no problem with the taste of it. did the 2 pills a day for 6 wks and went to the one per day. didnt like how he was with the one pill so uppped it to two. he does much better. vets do no this and are glad he's doing good. he goes for blood work in march to make sure liver and kidneys doing good. like i said, we've had very good luck with this bit it is a little pricey.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:40 AM

You might also want to ask your vet about PhyCox (made by IVX/DVM Pharmaceuticals) - it's an all-natural anti-inflamatory that I have had GREAT success with. It can be used before an NSAID like Rimadyl is necessary and can be used in conjuction with it for severe cases.

Good luck!

U-CD, FO, GRCH, CH Ciel Legend Vom Stefanhaus, CDX, AJP, AXP, RAE, PT, JHD, CS, CI, CX, BH, RL1, TT, CGC, , THD, TDIAV (born 2-15-03)
and many other furry *kids*

Old 01-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Valued Member

My dogs are on Dasuquin as a preventative joint protectant supplement. They do fine on it, we prefer it to Cosequin for most dogs where I work, but we do have some on Cosequin if cost is a factor (I haven't come across any dogs who won't eat Dasuquin yet).

Old 01-21-2009, 04:21 PM

I have been using Deramaxx for 2 1/2-yrs on a 12 1/2 yr old Rottie, Xena- she does well on it. However I did do Adequan injections for 4-wks in Oct, then started her on Dasuquin with MSM in Nov, because she was limping very bad with her right shoulder. She is still on Deramaxx - I hate to give that up becuase it does help and if she misses it even for 1-day she cannot walk or get up. She has arthritis in back, hips, shoulders and elbows. She also has had both ACL's done in the past 5-yrs. I do have her blood checked every 6-months because of the Deramaxx and so far it is good for her. I am not saying it is good for everyone, but this seems to work for us. Xena is a rescue we saved 5 1/2 yrs ago, she came to us very overweight - 155# -- she is also a large Rott - you know the ones people breed big - she is top of male standard for AKC in height, and currently weighs about 117# - she doesn't eat much - so it is hard to get weight off of her and of course her walks are shorter because of her joints. I do believe we finally have her pain managed very well.

And yes... she is a very expensive "free dog" - ha-ha! But, I would not change a thing and do it all over again for one! She is a dear to have and she tolerates our new puppy too! Saint Xena she is to us.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:11 PM

Thank you everyone. Fro those of you that have used the Adequan injections, its my understanding that its twice a week for 4 weeks for the loading dose. How often after the loading dose do they get injections. Can you all give me an idea of what we're talking cost wise?
Thank you for all of your help!
~Varga's Mom

Old 01-23-2009, 03:34 PM

Yes, they say 2x each week for loading, but most of the time 1x each week is fine. I did once a week for 4-wks. After the Adequan I started her on the Dasuquin with MSM. I was told to just moniter her progress or to inject her monthly. The Dasuquin with MSM seems to be working, so I have not injected her since Nov 08. I am playing the wait and see with her.

Xena is 117# - she was getting about 2cc - cost was $43 each time with vet. I was taught how to give them in the muscle, so now have a few vials of Adequan at home. I got the vials at cost ($48 @) from a friend who is an equine vet and there is enough for approx 3 injections in each vial. My friend has been using Adequan for years on his dog's with great success without side effects.