Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 05:39 PM

Front Leg Lameness, Pain and Crying (both of us)

I am a bit frightened and I need a few ears. My husband is out of town and things always happen when I am alone :( I have 2 Rotties Gunnar (3)and Bella (2). They were home alone today (as usual) while I worked. They are set in an area of the house where they can't get into trouble. When I walked in the door I heard Gunnar whimper/cry as he got up to greet me. He seemed to be favoring his right front leg or maybe his neck. (I thought maybe it just fell asleep, but he is still slightly stiff/limping). He is not reluctant to move around but he shadowed me around the house and seems to be a bit mellow. He is also drooling a bit, on and off. I am assuming he and Bella were playing a little too rough and he managed to hurt himself. He is eating and drinking. I have Deramaxx in the house, so I gave him one in case he is experiencing pain. He just seems a little out of sorts, a bit distressed when I first got home, but not distressed now, perhaps just uncomfortable. I think I am more distressed...worrying. Right now he is resting at my feet while I panic....am I being neurotic? I have just been through so much with my last few Rotties that I am paranoid....I hope

Update.....

Ok...Gunnar had seemed better and then he had to "go". I let him out and a few minutes later he was screaming, and then he limped into the house, holding his front paw off the ground. I ran him to the Vet and he walked into the office like there was nothing wrong with him. The Vet checked his joints, felt his leg, moved things around and could find nothing. No swelling, no visible discomfort. He gave him a Metacam injection and told me to use the Deramaxx I have at home. We came home and Gunnar seemed fine. Later that afternoon he was limping more visibly and crying out in pain when he got up and sometimes when he moves. My Vet had told me 'give it the weekend' and lets see how he is Monday. But he seems to be worsening. (Although is it the "it always hurts worse the next day thing"). He had Lyme and Anaplasmosis and he also had Pano as a puppy. Could it be one of those again? I already put in an emergency call to him and will go see him tomorrow. But I can't handle his crying, it is killing me and there is nothing more I can do :(

Also...when he walks on it, it seems he 'swings' it to the side rather than bend it at the knee or shoulder, although the vet said his joints seem fine. Also, he sometimes puts weight on it and when he does it trembles. PLEASE someone tell me this is 'just' an injury that will heal...my mind is reeling....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 12-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Valued Member

Re: Front Leg Lameness, Pain and Crying (both of us)

Well I'm not going to tell you there's no problem, because obviously there is. I would insist on xray for the entire leg, shoulder to toes. A vet can determine some things by palpation, but not all things. The trembling when he puts weight on it is because he's in PAIN from something.

I would limit his activity until you get him back to the vet (xpen or crate and only leash to potty) and I would insist on xray.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:47 PM

Oh no, how stressful for all of you! I hope you can find a resolution very quickly. Is there anyway you can get some of this on tape for the vet? Maybe it would help actually seeing it, if it's not presenting in the vet's office.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:55 PM

Be sure you keep him still. Crate him if you must. He should not be playing with your other dog at all. Potty him on leash...NO running. Let us know how he is tomorrow! My fingers are crossed for you!

Ha, just realized I repeated moondogs advice .

Old 12-13-2008, 06:59 PM

Thank you Moondog....Yes I called the vet already, and I am going tomorrow morning. I will definitely insist on an xray...I love my vet but sometimes he is too laid back, and I need to push him. My two main worries were osteosarcoma (GOD FORBID it is either one) or a vertebrae injury in his neck (both to which I lost beloved babies). Doc assures me it is neither and that he is too young and the onset of pain was acute not gradual. After carefully watching him all day, it appears to be eminating from the shoulder area. (He was laying down trying to lift his leg up to hold a rawhide and he vocally expressed pain). But off to the vet's we go....again....and xrays will be done. Thanks.

Thank you JRC87...good idea, perhaps I will, just in case Gunnar makes me look silly again :)

Old 12-13-2008, 07:04 PM

Thank you Nisha's Mom....yes I have had them separated all day and been keeping him very still...he has his moments when he wants to follow me around the house and almost walks alright, but I have him crated in the den next to me now, so he stops following me and stays still. (had to keep him near me, he has gotten very clingy in the past few days, bery unlike him). Cross your fingers for me :)

Old 12-15-2008, 10:23 PM

Thank you for your replies Nisha's Mom, JRC87 and Moondog! Got Gunnar back to the Vet and made him do xrays. Entire leg from shoulder to toes :) His leg is fine...radiologically. He saw some signs of Pano, which Gunnar suffered in his younger years. Doc says it is a relapse of the Pano, possibly brought on by the stress of an injury (he apparently injured his shoulder roughousing with Bella). No signs of the-disease-that-not-be-named, THANK GOD! No breaks or joint problems. He gave him a cortisone shot and he seems so improved already! He just needs time to relax and heal. I can breathe again...

Old 12-15-2008, 10:58 PM

I know its hard to keep them quiet, and I can't imagine having another dog around at the same time, but I am glad to hear you got some results, and please be sure even if he looks like he is feeling better, that he is not romping around for awhile, and keep him quiet and rested until need be
lots of easy small bits of walking after he is healed..

Old 12-15-2008, 11:10 PM

It is kind of funny, Bella knows something is wrong and she has been keeping her distance and not trying to coerce him into play. And you can be certain that I am keeping him as immobile as possible! I don't even let him walk to the kitchen alone! :) Thanks!