Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 09:34 AM

Question dog injested rubbing alchohol

One of my clients (daycare dog) got vet advice from a friend . Her dog looked bloated so she was told to pour rubbing alchohol down the dogs throat to induce vomiting. I saw the dog this morning and sent her to the vet...I am worried though . Does anyone know the effects of rubbing alchohol??

Old 09-11-2008, 09:42 AM

Re: dog injested rubbing alchohol

Surely, you jest. Someone actually poured rubbing alcohol down their dog's throat?!

If I am not mistaken, rubbing alcohol is usually one of the items on the "household products that are toxic to dogs" lists. I imagine that the level of toxicity will depend on the size of the dog, how much alcohol was injested, and whether it was sufficiently diluted by the stomach contents of the dog. Also, if it did induce vomiting....hopefully the dog expelled some of alcohol.

I hope she got that dog to a vet ASAP. Thank goodness she told you about it.

Pieka, CD-C, RL2, RL1X, RN, BH, CGC
Whiskey, CD, RN, CGC, TT
Louie, CGC, TDI
Sofia, CGC., TDI, TT, HIC, (1997-2008)

Old 09-11-2008, 09:47 AM

I have no idea how much was injested...I assume she opened her mouth and poured some of the bottle in. No telling how much actually made it down the throat. The dog was lethargic though ...she is a rat terrier pit mix (maybe the size of a beagle). I don't think she threw up at all. This happened at 7:00 last night .

Old 09-11-2008, 10:06 AM

What an idiot. I know you can use hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting, but it should only be done in a true emergency. Obviously her idiot friend thought they were the same thing.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:27 AM

Well, sure it can make a dog vomit, along with a few other things - dizziness, poor coordination, headache, confusion, gastric irritation, abdominal pain, low blood pressure, tachycardia, (and cardiodepression), loss of deep tendon reflexes, stupor leading to deep coma, respiratory depression, death.

How long before you saw him did this happen? The dog probably didn't ingest enough for some of those (or we can hope he didn't), but I'm sure glad you sent her to the vet!

This is why God created vet school and telephones.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Well, sure it can make a dog vomit, along with a few other things - dizziness, poor coordination, headache, confusion, gastric irritation, abdominal pain, low blood pressure, tachycardia, (and cardiodepression), loss of deep tendon reflexes, stupor leading to deep coma, respiratory depression, death.

How long before you saw him did this happen? The dog probably didn't ingest enough for some of those (or we can hope he didn't), but I'm sure glad you sent her to the vet!

This is why God created vet school and telephones.
I saw her 12+ hrs after she was given the alcohol. She seemed to be not feeling well, but she wasn't in critical condition (from what I saw). I assume she didn't injest too much...I doubt the owner knows how to force things down her dogs throat. I'll let you know what the vet said as soon as I hear. I wish she would have called the 24 hr vet for advice .

Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 AM

The poisoning has a rapid onset of 30 to 60 minutess and peaks within several hours, so you likely saw him beyond that point. Sounds like there was too little ingested to kill him, but whether he winds up with permanent damage from it only time will tell, I guess. Senseless stupidity.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:35 PM

Methinks someone mixed up "hydrogen peroxide" (in appropriate amounts can be used to induce vomiting, but too much can be very dangerous, you should always check with your vet for how much to use on your dog) and "rubbing alcohol" (which has no safe internal use whatsoever and should NEVER be ingested by human or animal). Both are used as first aid wound cleaners, only one is used as an emetic. I hate it when people take advice from people who don't know what they're talking about, and I hate it when people give advice when they don't know what they're talking about. This dog could have died.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:51 PM

I agree, they probably mixed it up with peroxide-and that is only a small amount, I believe I only used 3 tbs when I had to induce Jaycee. (She ate an entire pill bottle of rimadyl (about 8 pills)and an entire 100 tables of her Glucosomine DS...Yes, completely my bad...and I did it over the phone with the ASPCA-I didn't feel I had time to get her to a vet-luckily she is ok, and we've had her liver levels checked several times since to be sure she is ok.)..I hope this one is ok...