Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 01:20 PM

"Lump" on my girls stub/tail and Lameness at 9 mths

So, my girl, Tihanna, has a "lump" on her stub/tail. I brought her into work with me (I work at a vet clinic) and had one of the docs take a peek to see what it was because I am a worrier and needed to find out right away.

The doc feels it is a "pustule" and we should leave it alone unless she is under anesthetic for something different, then we can biopsy it. He feels it is most likely a piece of suture that never dissolved, therefore is trying to migrate out of the skin from tail docking because it is on the suture line/scar (She's 9 months old now).

I am wondering if ANYBODY else has experience with this? I'm not really looking for advice just piece of mind to know my dog isn't the only one who's had something like this before.

As well, lately my girl seems super sore after runs/walks or just plain ol' playing hard. The other night she cried while laying down, refused to leave her kennel - completely unlike her and has been having a little more difficulty getting up. We took xrays of her hips about a month ago and there was nothing abnormal then and no sign of HD but of course, she was still young at that time and ideally xrays done at 18 months would tell us more. I am just a little concerned of ED/HD. Anybody else have a young pup experiencing the same thing? I have glucosamine at home and have started her on that again and will continue from here on out for the rest of her life. I have been giving Meloxicam (aka Metacam) whenever she seems sore but this definitely isn't ideal for such a young dog. Any suggestions?

Old 08-26-2008, 02:57 PM
100 yr old Valued Member

Re: "Lump" on my girls stub/tail and Lameness at 9 mths

re: lump on tail; did your Veterinarian Rx antibiotics for the infection?

re:lameness; could you detect panostenosis in the xrays? Pano is very common with large breed puppies, and is basicly self limiting, and will go away. Sometimes anti inflammatories will help ease the pain a bit.

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:08 PM

Thanks for your reply poohbearsmom. The dvm didn't feel anything in terms of treatment was necessary for the pustule. She has been on antibiotics for UTI's and other issues and now knowing that pustule has been there, most likely, for quite sometime - chances are that the antibiotics don't help. Am I being nieve?

Both dvm's who looked at my girls xrays noted NO diagnostic abnormalities on the xrays but feel that rexraying at 18 months would be beneficial in diagnosing anything at all.

I guess for now, in terms of her leg, giving NSAID's will help on an as needed basis and go from there for the next 9 months ... damn that's a long time to not know what's causing my baby her pain.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:27 PM
100 yr old Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihanna View Post
Thanks for your reply poohbearsmom. The dvm didn't feel anything in terms of treatment was necessary for the pustule. She has been on antibiotics for UTI's and other issues and now knowing that pustule has been there, most likely, for quite sometime - chances are that the antibiotics don't help. Am I being nieve?

Both dvm's who looked at my girls xrays noted NO diagnostic abnormalities on the xrays but feel that rexraying at 18 months would be beneficial in diagnosing anything at all.

I guess for now, in terms of her leg, giving NSAID's will help on an as needed basis and go from there for the next 9 months ... damn that's a long time to not know what's causing my baby her pain.

If there's anywhere you can swim your girlie, that's probably the best form of exercise for her if she's feeling pain after impact exercise. This lameness is in the rear only?

Old 08-26-2008, 04:09 PM

Funny, I take her swimming daily, that is her exercise and has been since ~5mths of age. Definitely her favorite thing to do. She isn't a HUGE swimmer to be honest, she will swim if she HAS to but otherwise enjoys running in and out of the water. I have tried throwing balls/sticks/rocks in the water but she promptly loses interest in the thrown object. Any suggestions on getting her out there?

Lameness is only her right hind...

Old 08-26-2008, 06:14 PM

I can tell you from my experience that the lump on the tail very well may be a retained stitch.
When I had my gallbladder out they used self dissolving stitches, but months later my jeans were hurting me. One night when I was in the tub I felt a lump on my bellybutton. I messed with it and it was hard and round. So for a few days I kept hot rags on it, and one night in the tub I sort of squeezed it and it broke and a piece of black stitch came out.
I also know that my daughter in law had sort of the same thing after a c-section. Hers made an encapsulation around the stitch so that she could not squeeze it out. They ended up cutting it out because it was bothering her right on her underwear line.
There is no use in using antibiotics unless the thing is infected. If it starts to get red, scaly or warmish, I would have it looked at again.
Also my uncle 30 years later is still having pieces of shrapnel work their way out of his body from a hit he took in Viet Nam. They will work their way to the surface, become infected and burst.
Just keep an eye on it.

Sharon

Old 08-26-2008, 07:03 PM

Thanks so much Sharon! Your reply is VERY VERY helpful and puts me at some sort of ease. We try to squeeze it in hopes that the "stitch/knot" would come out but no such luck yesterday but I will try hot packing it to see if that helps and bring her back into work with me and see if we can squeeze it out. When I try touching it at home she growls at me. Let me tell you, Tihanna DOES NOT GROWL at me or anybody else for that matter normally ... only when trying to cut her nails or touch this pustule!

Thanks again!!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihanna View Post

I am wondering if ANYBODY else has experience with this? I'm not really looking for advice just piece of mind to know my dog isn't the only one who's had something like this before.

When Bear had his Sprain we got some great advice on here about salmon oil (natural inflammatory) and Arnica or Traumeel (homeopathic remedies) we was comfortable enough to walk and move around the house so I didn't feel NSAIDS were necessary and the vet agreed.

Another thing that helped A LOT was massage...we had a weekly appointment to work on the area with a great Canine Massage Therapist who spotted the knot/scar tissue instantly. As for rehab we did a lot of hill walking to keep up muscle tone without putting too much stress on anything.

Owned by:

CRMCH BEAR PCD, CGN, RA, FDCh, CRVCL, CRXT, ATD, HSS, SDS, HTAD1, AADC, AGDC

EPIC NTD, CRNCL, HT

Old 08-27-2008, 06:37 AM
100 yr old Valued Member

You've gotten some really good advice... More thoughts on this... if it is CHD, and she's lame to the point of not wanting to get up, then it should show up on film as a shallow socket, etc... at this point. Many a young dog has been diagnosed at 5-8mos of age, my Attila included.

I like Ayoka's idea of massage therapy and homeopathic medicine in conjunction with Western medicine.

Did your vets do a thorough drawer test to check her knee?? Ligament and other soft tissue issues won't show up on xray.