Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 09:55 PM

Vomiting too often

My Rottie is one and a half year old. He was born Feb 2007. Purchased from CKC Member. Beautiful dog. Present problem is vomiting. We changed the food often and the Vet checked for reasons but could not find any; we went to the Hosp. Allergy Vet Clinic; result could not find allergies or reason for vomiting so often, he is scheduled to go back again this week. The following is his history, I am hoping someone had the same problems and could shed some light:: Food: RAW until 9 weeks with Breeder; then at 9 weeks we started him on "GO" then changed to Orijen; then we had a medical food prescribed by the Vet, he still vomited; then we gave him NUTRO, then NUTRO HIGH ENERGY. When his coat was dry and he had dandruff, the vet prescribed Salmon Oil Pill, 1000gm one a day for one month...dandruff stopped.
He is very energetic, great appetite in spite of the vomiting, loves the car rides and walking; often bites his nail as if to pull them off, Vet checked could not find any reason for that; he is fed: 2 cups dry in the morning, one and a half cup for supper and half a cup when he goes to bed. We stopped giving him Milk bone cookies incase they are the cause; we stopped also a soup spoon of yogurt plain for his dandruf. Our back yard bushes and spruce and evergreen trees were removed; we thought he might be allergic to them. Vomiting often occurs at 3 or 4 A.M. In March he vomited 10 times - April 5 times; May 5 times; June 6 times...he has his first meal at 8:30 a.m. / supper at 6:30 p.m. and sleeps around 11 p.m. when we go to bed and he takes his 1/2 cup before he sleeps
Can someone tell me what to do please and thank you for your advice?

Old 06-30-2008, 10:02 PM

Re: Vomiting too often

He could be simply sensitive to something IN his diet.

Personally, I would switch him to a higher grade kibble, one with perhaps one protien only and fewer grains. Many dogs are sensitive to grains in their diets and I believe Nutro has a high percentage of grain in their ingredients.

At least by switching his kibble, you can potentially eliminate that as the problem.

Kristi

Ch. OTCH Jewel CDI RE BH RL2 CGN TT HIC
Ch. Seeker CD RE BH RL1 CGN TT HIC
Ch. Ruckus PCD RN TT HIC
Busy (super baby)
Jager HIC
[/FONT]

Old 06-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Valued Member

Has the vet done an xray to look for anything sitting in his gastrointestinal tract? You'd be amazed at the stuff they can swallow that can sit there for years, sometimes. I know of a dog who suffered for 5 years with this type of problem, only to discover when they finally had an xray done that there was a piece of rolled up canvas in his stomach that has been there all that time causing him terrible distress. He almost died before the xray was done and when they removed it, it was completely calcified and hard as a rock. He immediately began making great strides in recovery and recovered completely.

If it is allergy related, the best way to determine tolerance is to either have allergy testing done, or do an elimination diet. An elimination diet is where you begin with a novel protein, novel carb source and if that is tolerable, you build the diet by adding only one ingredient at a time for a period of 4-5 weeks before adding anything else. The purpose of this is to be able to identify and remove any ingredient the dog can't tolerate. This is IMPOSSIBLE to do with a commercial food because, even if you could identify the culprit (which you can't), you couldn't remove it from the food.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 PM

TO: Rottcrazed:Kristi
Thank you for the reply. Do you have any suggestions for his food:
He had GO no grain; Origen; the Medical that the Vet gave him; Nutro; and presently Nutro High Energy.
What else would you suggest?....thanks

Old 06-30-2008, 11:05 PM

TO: Moondog: Thanks for replying. We thought of that as well to have his stomach X-Rayed. The Vet suggested that we try everything before we X-Ray, as the X-Ray and putting him to sleep might be disturbing for him.
It is a possibility that it would come to be an x-ray. We cannot think of anything else. I shall keep checking this site for answers. Thank you.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:23 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Vomiting too often

Nutro is a mid-quality food....and vomiting problems are a common complaint on this food. How much time did you give the Orijen? Which Orijen did you try?
It may be that all of the foods you have been feeding have chicken? or some common ingredient? Try the 6 Fish Orijen..and see how it goes.

Also I would try a digestive enzyme and see what happens...Prozyme is one, or you can just go to the health food store and get it there.

Try to feed 3 times per day. I agree with moondog..that if this keeps up you should have him x-rayed. Has he been neutered yet? You can do a two for one.

What's his weight like? Does he vomit yellow bile? or is there kibble in the vomit?

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 07-01-2008, 04:24 PM

I do not remember for how long we fed him the Orijen, I guess it was the regular Orijen, I know there was chicken in his food, that must have been it, because I used to add pieces of boiled boneless/skinless chicken as well to enhance his diet and protein then when he started the vomiting I stopped the boiled chicken. He has been neutered, and his weight presently is 104 lbs. His vomit includes 3 or 4 kibbles, not many…it looks as a thick green pea soup…! (Excuse me I hope I do not turn you off!). He has an appointment this week to see the Vet Allergist, and we shall see what she recommends, last visit she suggested to try different kind of food, to try a fish based diet high in omega-3 fatty acids. She said if he has any allergies it would be environmental because of nail biting also she suggested the nail biting could be for excess energy to burn. We gave him fish based/omega-3 medical kibbles from the Vet; he still vomited after a while. We switched then to the Nutro High Energy kibbles. I shall get the 6 fish Orijen and see how it goes, and I shall get Prozyme. His regular Vet appointment would be I guess around mid July. Hopefully he would feel better by that time. Thank you.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:26 PM

I do not remember for how long we fed him the Orijen, I guess it was the regular Orijen, I know there was chicken in his food, that must have been it, because I used to add pieces of boiled boneless/skinless chicken as well to enhance his diet and protein then when he started the vomiting I stopped the boiled chicken. He has been neutered, and his weight presently is 104 lbs. His vomit includes 3 or 4 kibbles, not many…it looks as a thick green pea soup…! (Excuse me I hope I do not turn you off!). He has an appointment this week to see the Vet Allergist, and we shall see what she recommends, last visit she suggested to try different kind of food, to try a fish based diet high in omega-3 fatty acids. She said if he has any allergies it would be environmental because of nail biting also she suggested the nail biting could be for excess energy to burn. We gave him fish based/omega-3 medical kibbles from the Vet; he still vomited after a while. We switched then to the Nutro High Energy kibbles. I shall get the 6 fish Orijen and see how it goes, and I shall get Prozyme. His regular Vet appointment would be I guess around mid July. Hopefully he would feel better by that time. Thank you.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:52 PM

Lola was a night time or early am vomit dog for the first year of her life. She would vomit almost every night until her vet put her on Tagamet. This is an over th counter stomach acid reducer. For her, none of the other brands worked. She took one 200 mil tagamet at about 10:00pm. About 45 min later she had a snack which was a plain rice cake with some peanut butter on it. The rice cake and the Tagamet absorbed or prevented the excess acid build up. She never had a night vimit again. Check with your vet before trying this. Hope your pup is better.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:31 PM

To Lola B. Marie: Thank you, I shall give it a try.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Valued Member

Please do not give your dog an acid reducer or anything else unless you've cleared it with your vet. Your dog needs his stomach acids to digest his foods - unless you know the cause of his problem, you could just be making it worse.

I am not saying that it was not appropriate in Lola B Marie's case. Only that it can be dangerous to start self-diagnosing our dogs.

I would start with changing your dog's diet to a better quality kibble. One that is very simple, one protein, one major carbohydrate source. Orijen 6 Fish or Natural Balance Duck and Potato formula might be good options.

If he doesn't improve after 2 weeks on a better food, I would start pushing the vet for more diagnostics. At a minimum, full blood panel, fecal culture, and x-rays of the digestive tract. This could be anything from something sitting in his gut to a mild case of megaesophagus.

Pieka, NW2, CD-C, RL2, RL1X, RN, BH, CGC
Whiskey, CD, RN, CGC, TT
Louie, CGC, TDI
Sofia, CGC., TDI, TT, HIC, (1997-2008)

Old 07-01-2008, 06:03 PM

To Bliss 7373: Thank you, I shall take all of that advise into consideration.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:10 PM

Here I am once more: The family Vet tested him for a blood test, fecal culture test, all negative, we had an allergy test at Vet Hosp. the Allergy Vet said to give him one pill of Benadryl 25mg before bedtime if necessary and if he itches a lot. She could not find any allergies, she checked the paws, the nails, his back etc..
All tests by our family Vet were negative. He still vomits, he plays and is very energetic, eats well, sleeps very well, shinny coat, no dandruff. The only problem is the vomiting, I have switched him to Orijen 6 Fish, he ate it, this dog eats anything and everything, and yet, he vomited twice since the switch and it is not between his breakfast (8:30) and his supper (6:30) it is always late after his supper time let's say around the a.m. early hours, this morning it was at 7:20 a.m. and before that at anytime 4 or 6 a.m.
Tomorrow he goes to the Vet for booster shot, she had suggested to book him at the Vet hosp. for (I forgot the name) stomach test, where a minute camera is inserted through his throat to see if anything is lodged or any growth in the stomach, she said it is better than a regular X-ray which might not show if any obstruction. I do not know what else to do, I just have to wait until the test is over and see what the Vet suggests. I am only scared it would be a malignant growth, but then I question, why doesn't he throw up after breakfast?
My thanks to all for your support, I shall keep in touch.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Has the vet done an xray to look for anything sitting in his gastrointestinal tract?
If it is allergy related, the best way to determine tolerance is to either have allergy testing done, or do an elimination diet. This is IMPOSSIBLE to do with a commercial food because, even if you could identify the culprit (which you can't), you couldn't remove it from the food.
REPLY TO MOONDOG and other Members: Hi once more, as I have previously said all the blood, fecal, allergy, urine...etc..tests were made and all turned negative even the ondoscopy turned out negative they took samples as well. He is on 6 fish Origin suggested, and the last suggestion of the Vet was to spread his meals, that was 4 days ago, , so now we feed every 4 or 5 hours and the last cup at 10:00 p.m. (4 cups all in all) he still vomitted this morning right after his 8:00 meal.
Anyone who might have had this problem and if they found a solution or have any suggestions please let me know... This dog is 1 1/2 years old, he still has a life time to enjoy a normal life.....

Old 07-25-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2006 View Post
REPLY TO MOONDOG and other Members: Hi once more, as I have previously said all the blood, fecal, allergy, urine...etc..tests were made and all turned negative even the ondoscopy turned out negative they took samples as well. He is on 6 fish Origin suggested, and the last suggestion of the Vet was to spread his meals, that was 4 days ago, , so now we feed every 4 or 5 hours and the last cup at 10:00 p.m. (4 cups all in all) he still vomitted this morning right after his 8:00 meal.
Anyone who might have had this problem and if they found a solution or have any suggestions please let me know... This dog is 1 1/2 years old, he still has a life time to enjoy a normal life.....
Did you talk to your vet about the acid reducer? If his throw up is not really dog food, but greenish gunk, sounds more like acid or something like issue...