Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 05:01 PM

Swollen elbow / water ?

I hope someone can add some information or an opinion. My dog has a really swollen elbow. It looks like a large bubble right where he and other dogs seem to get those spots from their elbows laying against the ground. He had those small what look like callouses at one time but now the bubble looking thing. I took him into the vet and after a check up the vet said water on the elbow. He told me to have him lay down on something soft and apply moist heat a couple of times a day. I can NOT follow this dog around with a pillow, I have a job.

I tried doing what he said but after 4 weeks I brought him back, elbow still has the bubble. I couldn't get him to lay on something soft at all and the heat didn't seem to help.

The vet re-checked him and said the same thing. It is just water on the elbow. It isn't attached to his bone at all and he has ZERO pain, ZERO loss of movement. He walks and runs just fine. I practice baiting him for the shows with a horse buggy whip with fur tied to the end of it. He will chase that thing around the ground back and forth. He stops and turns on a dime. You can squeeze it and it doesn't bother him. The vet checked to see if he had full range of motion and he was perfectly fine. Vet said keep him on something soft or try wrapping his elbow with that egg crate looking foam and try ice. He ripps that stuff off in 30 seconds.

The vet does not want to drain it and says that infection is very possibe if he does drain it and he doesn't want to get any infection near a joint. He says none of the doctors in that office would drain it.

My vet is large, not some small office. They do their own surgery there ( did one of my females TPLO ) they have the best of equipment there. They do work for our police and state troopers, they do it all and I trust them BUT ...

This thing is ugly ! We are going to the USRC Nationals next week and I'm affraid the judge is going to really kill him when he sees that elbow.

Any suggestions ? If anyone has a trick to getting this thing down I'd really like to hear about it. Would it even be possible to get this thing back to somewhat normal in a week ?

THANKS in advance to any help anyone has to offer

Old 05-09-2008, 05:13 PM

Re: Swollen elbow / water ?

Looked this up:

Hygromas: Nonpainful Swellings that Develop Under the Skin on Elbows, Hips, or Hocks of Dogs

Doesn't look like there is much you can do =(

Old 05-09-2008, 05:14 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Swollen elbow / water ?

It's called a hygroma and they do recommend to drain it.
I found this on vetinfo:
Hygroma

Hygromas are thought to be the body's reaction to repeated trauma to an area in which bone lines close to the surface of the skin. Usually they occur on elbows. They are a collection of serum in a thick capsule that the body builds to cushion the area. Affected dogs are not usually lame. If these are small, just providing padding over the area can allow them to either maintain their present size or even shrink. However, since they can get to be pretty large and will occasionally get infected, it is not uncommon for veterinarians to recommend surgical drainage, usually with post-operative bandaging to protect the area. If they get really large and then infected, it can be necessary to do skin grafting to fix the defect made in removing the hygroma

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 05-09-2008, 05:31 PM

THANK YOU ! I'm going to save that site to my favorites

Old 05-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Valued Member

Actually, your vet gave you very good advice....you just need to figure out how to follow it.

The only time it's recommended to drain it is if an infection has developed because draining has a high potential of introducing bacteria that can cause an infection. Once that happens, you complicate the problem and it's much more difficult to manage.

Elbow Hygroma

I imagine you could restrict him to a crate/xpen that is completely filled with thick, soft bedding. You could teach him to stay at place on a thick, soft bed when you are there to supervise him. Do the alternating cold/hot therapy as often as you can.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:51 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Swollen elbow / water ?

The dogs I saw them on were Dobes. They were show dogs and had them drained. One had one on one elbow...it was drained with no problems, and then developed another on the other elbow...again drained with no problems.

I agree the real solution is not to allow your dog to lay on the hard ground or surfaces...and then he will not get them.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 05-09-2008, 10:18 PM

My friends lab pup had a complete moron for a vet who thought it would be a great idea to surgically remove Boomer's hygromas .... one healed, the other opened and re-opened and again ....

2 surgeries later still not fixed. I would never allow a vet to talk me into a surgery like that, however, they didn't know better.

OYE .....

Kristi

Ch. OTCH Jewel CDI RE BH RL2 CGN TT HIC
Ch. Seeker CD RE BH RL1 CGN TT HIC
Ch. Ruckus PCD RN TT HIC
Busy (super baby)
Jager HIC
[/FONT]

Old 05-21-2008, 06:56 AM

it is true what your vet has told you but it is verry difficult to put those things in a rottweiler and also to make them lay in there bed longer than 10 mins they are bound to walk. unless is bed time at night .

Also is just not sleeping or laying in wooden floors or any other floors ,
Ive Just been told by my breeder that It could Also be if they hurt their elbow joints in a exercise or even when ur Dog Goes to lay down Rottweiler they just throw themselfs down and the 1st thing you hear is boom that is there elbows hittin the floor 1st they are a bit stupid but we love them ...so fluid comed out there joints and forms a watery oily ball which you can play with does not hurt dem , but YOU MUST get it out before it Gorws Bigger and causes Major Problems. My Dog Nayla its 10 months Rotti and She has that in her Elbow i was worried so i called my breeder he told me nearly 80% of rottweiler in one point will get dem Best Way to Get rid of it is by MEDICATIONS Antibiotics , which they Enject in your dogs Hips i think? it gets rid of it in less than 1 week Im getting it done This Saturday by my Breeder i sed what if i just go to my Vets he sed you could but its Expensive so Breeder it Is ........ You should look into that Peeps......

Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 AM

Are we talking about the same thing? An elbow hygroma?

Why on earth would you want to be injecting anything into a dog's hips for an elbow hygroma?

Old 05-21-2008, 05:49 PM

Lola had them on both elbows when she was just about a year old. Vet drained them while she was under being spayed. One came back almost immediately and took months to finally reabsorb into the body if that's infact where they go. It was the size of a golf ball. No amount of ice packs or moist heat packs helped. When it turned hot here we got Lola a giant dog pool which she played in every day. I guess the cool water finally did work because in a few weeks they were gone and did not come back. My first rottie had them as well. Hers disappeared on their own.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
Are we talking about the same thing? An elbow hygroma?

Why on earth would you want to be injecting anything into a dog's hips for an elbow hygroma?

you have to inject antibiotics or you can put it om there food and let them eat it . I dont know where they actually put the injection i think its just above there tail ?. you can suck the lump out with a needele but it will properly get infected the vet sed , all im saying is you have to treat it even if it is Small or in future you will regret it i think

Old 05-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Novice Member

You could check this out. I have no personal experiance but I have heard good things. Hardest part would be preventing it from being torn up.

DogLeggs Therapeutic & Rehabilitative Products

Old 05-22-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginolarosa View Post
you have to inject antibiotics or you can put it om there food and let them eat it . I dont know where they actually put the injection i think its just above there tail ?. you can suck the lump out with a needele but it will properly get infected the vet sed , all im saying is you have to treat it even if it is Small or in future you will regret it i think
Unless a situation is serious and immediate, antibiotics are usually given in tablet form.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:40 AM

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I am still checking this thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:31 AM

I took my Dod Nayla to the breeder on Saturday because she developed the same thing as TOOBAD's dogs did , what he did is he had 3 injections the 1st one he done on saturday for me and he gave me the 2 remaining to give to my dog on Monday and on wednesday and he sed it should go away and if its treated properly it would neva come back again .....he injected half od the dosis in her knee where the Watery Ball was and the Rest of it in her neck ...So you can also get injections insted of tablets.,
and i have to say its working perfectly because the Ball on her knee its actually gone Smaller so Hopefully by friday nothing will be there and she can be happy again

TOOBAD i personally will recomend that stuff if you want i can find out the name of the antibiotic and pass it on you can always check with your Vet about that medecine!?