Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 04:22 PM

why would a dog loose the top of the nail?

I keep finding what I thought was my dog's whole nail laying on the floor. I went and checked both dogs to see if they were missing their nails, and they were not. Looks like just the top of the nail broke off and some of the tip.

Am I not trimming them close enough that they are getting to long and breaking off or when I see my dogs munching on their feet do they actually chew their nails? Or could it be some vitamin deficiency?

Old 03-02-2008, 05:07 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: why would a dog loose the top of the nail?

How old is the dog?
You may want to read this thread:
http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/vet...rophy-dog.html

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 03-02-2008, 05:18 PM

Re: why would a dog loose the top of the nail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunie's mom View Post
How old is the dog?
You may want to read this thread:
http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/vet...rophy-dog.html

Gina
She's 5 years old. I mentioned it to the vet at her last visit (which was in November) and she looked and said it was fine.

The nail is not split in the middle. It just looks like the top of the nail fell off. When I found the nail on the floor I thought at first it was the whole nail. I checked all of her nails and they were all there. Checked again and found one that looked like it was broken off. It was really hard to tell at first glance because the nail looked fine until I got down really close to it. I have found about three of these in the last 3 months. Someone suggested she might bite her nails, but I have never seen her do this and when I am home she is pretty much wherever I am.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:22 PM

Also, what is Symmetrical Lupoid Onochodystrophy? The thread shows treatment but what are the symptoms? I tried to google it but it comes back with the thread you game me above and a bunch of links to a scottish terrior club that doesn't tell you anything. Is this something my vet should be familiar with?

Old 03-02-2008, 05:34 PM
One of the Old Folks

Found an interesting article...seems to be common in greyhounds.
http://www.greyhound-data.com/dir/40...falling_of.pdf

Gina

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 03-02-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunie's mom View Post
Found an interesting article...seems to be common in greyhounds.
http://www.greyhound-data.com/dir/40...falling_of.pdf

Gina
Thank you very much! It looks like the nail all the way to the right, but it has not progressed into the raw looking nail in the middle or left picture. Also, her's still has the top of the nail and the part that seems to be falling off is under the nail. I wonder if it takes months to progress.

Since I read in the other thread you posted that it may trace back to diet and allergies if a simple change in her food may help it. She is extremely finicky about what she eats and will not eat most dry foods unless I mix it with wet and even then sometimes she will pick the dry out and lay it beside her bowl.

I hate to leave it go and have it turn into something worse but our vet looked at it previoulsy and did not act like it was a big deal.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:06 PM
One of the Old Folks

My friends Rottweiler had the nails falling off...and if I remember it started slowly. A nail here, that was blamed on ice, or getting it caught on something,etc. Then a couple of months later, another nail fell off.

I think it happens so gradually that most owner's don't notice or they just don't put things together.

Honestly, it's very uncommon for a dog to lose a nail. I've had numerous dogs for over 30 years, and have never had a dog lose a nail.

I would keep an eye on her, and also see if you can build up her immune system.

Gina

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 03-02-2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks for all your help. I'll do some research on some better food and see if there is anything her vet can recommend.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:40 AM

Hi Jaden,

My girl is one of the dogs with SLO. There's a great yahoo group (SLOdogs) with lots of articles in their files site that should be of help if you'd like to read up on SLO. Actually if you do a search on this forum under "symmetrical lupoid onochodystrophy" you'll pull up a few more threads with good info.

Since the only way to get a firm SLO diagnosis is to amputate & biopsy a toe many vets prefer to treat a for SLO & see if the dog responds. But since SLO isn't really common lots of vets don't even know about it.

With Amber, she lost two nails & I just figured that it was a result of her nails being too long & her not getting traction on the wood floors. It wasn't until about a month after she lost those nails that I was giving her a pedicure & noticed her nails either split or pulling away from the quick. We've been doing the fish oil treatment since July & while her nails keep growing back beautifully they also keep on splitting. She's been licking them quite a bit lately which means that this latest batch is going to come off, too. Nails take a long time to grow & hers would have been forming in the beds before any splitting was evident & this may take awhile to drive into remission. Meanwhile she doesn't seem to be in any pain & it certainly hasn't slown her down.

I haven't changed Amber's food. It took us awhile to find a food that agreed with her & she'd been doing great on Canidae for the 5 years prior to this. Since SLO is an autoimmune disease I'm also wondering if it has any connection to her having tested positive for Lymes prior to the onset of the SLO (yet testing negative at her most recent vet visit).

SLO aside, it could also be fungal. If she loses another nail I'd definitely get her to the vet. What are you feeding your dog, BTW? Depending on what's being fed sometimes (gradually) changing food is a good thing .

GOod luck!

Nina

Old 03-03-2008, 03:04 PM

Thanks Nina and Gina!. I spent the better part of last night reading all the info I could find on SLO. The only difference is she is not loosing the whole nail. It's hard to even find what toe it happened on at first glance and you have to get really close to see. The top breaks off and I did not notice any splitting up the nail. I looks like an actual layer on the top of the nail shed off. When you pick it up off the floor it looks like the whole nail (but hollow inside) but she is not missing any nails. Does this sound like the same thing?

Also, she is very finicky about her food. I have tried Canidae in the past, Eukanuba, and various other foods. She seems to not like the "premium" foods at all. The puppy will scarf them down but she turns her nose up to it. The only thing I found she will eat is a half a can of wet and 2 cups of dry Pedigree. Not the best food but she will not eat anything else.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaden View Post
I looks like an actual layer on the top of the nail shed off. When you pick it up off the floor it looks like the whole nail (but hollow inside) but she is not missing any nails. Does this sound like the same thing?
Oh I know exactly what you're talking about. Some of Amber's nails have come off this way. As a matter of fact, that was how she lost the first of the re-growths after the vet had started treatment for SLO. It was like the shell of the nail had just peeled away.

I wish that I could help you with the food! I've been lucky with Amber that once she got over those first two weeks of "I'm in a new place and I'm terrified" hunger strike after we adopted her she's turned into quite the voracious little pig and a card carrying member of the clean plate club.

Good luck & keep an eye on those nails.

Nina

Old 03-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Novice Member

Hi Jaden,

What type of food are you giving your friend? Years ago, this happened to my Rotti - she started losing pieces of her nails. I took her to the vet, who narrowed it down to the Purrina puppy chow I was feeding her.

My vet said, never feed Purrina dog food as it was lacking many things in it for a balanced diet.

I immediately changed her food and she her nails stopped breaking off. She never had the problem after the food change.