Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 PM

Liver/Kidney disease????

My 19 m.o. female, Rina, has been losing weight over the past month and over the weekend we noticed that her belly looked swollen. A few family members commented that she looked pregnant, but I knew that was not possible since she is spayed. So, first thing Monday morning she was at the vet for an exam. They did x-rays, blood work and drained almost a liter of fluid from her abdomen. They had sedated her to drain the fluid and she had a very difficult time waking up, they actually had to give her multiple doses of a drug (can't recall the name) to counteract the drugs that they used to sedate her......it was very scary Anyway, the x-rays showed no obvious signs of a tumor (which they said was a possiblity), her heart and lungs looked good and her bloodwork all came back fine. They are sending the fluid that they drained from her abdomen to the lab and HOPEFULLY I will hear something today. They said the fluid was clear, which I guess is a good thing? But until they got the results from the lab they couldn't say what the next step would be. The vet gave me several possible scenarios, with a very wide range of treatment for each.......I was so confused by the end of the day that all I knew for sure was that I have a very sick little girl

One thing that my brain did retain during the whole ordeal was that the vet definitely thinks it is a liver and/or kidney problem. I think she may have even said there's a possibilty the pancreas could be involved? So my question to anyone who's reading this horribly long post is does anyone have any experience with liver/kidney problems? What were the symptoms? And most importantly, can I hope for a good outcome? Between my newly adopted dog having seizures back in October and the vet bill that came with that diagnosis/treatment, and now the $350 vet bill from yesterday with no real answers as to what is even wrong with my poor girl, my "doggie emergency fund" is quickly being depleted I fear I may have to second-mortgage my house to get my dog well

If anyone has any past experiences with this type of health problem I would love to hear from you

Old 12-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Valued Member

Re: Liver/Kidney disease????

oh wow sounds horrible...I fond this online, it may or may not be useful...

Ascites in Dogs

Owned by:

CRMCH BEAR PCD, CGN, RA, FDCh, CRVCL, CRXT, ATD, HSS, SDS, HTAD1, AADC, AGDC

EPIC NTD, CRNCL, HT

Old 12-13-2007, 08:14 PM

Re: Liver/Kidney disease????

This last summer we found out that our pooch had kidney failure. At first, we thought it was spay incontinence (you can read my past posts. you might find some useful info.), after countless tests and a depleted bank account (i'm a college student) the vet said her kidneys have failed, or are close to failure.

They gave us up to 2 more years before we would have to put her down. She is only a year and a half, so its pretty devastating. She doesn't really show symptoms of kidney failure (dehydration, lethargy, low energy) but she does have daily incontinence which is frustrating and we cant do anything about that.

You will have to put your pup on a prescription diet, keep em hydrated, and take note of any physical and habit changes. Find a good vet, and ask around to a couple different vets b/c of varied opinions of diagnosis.

what you have ahead of you is not something that is going to be cheap. But you could have a few more great years with you rottie before things get too bad.

hope this helps. i still have questions all the time, this is a great way to get answers.