Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2007, 07:29 PM

Can eating cat poop cause worms?

I went out to let Dodge potty this afternoon and he went over to his usual spot and I saw him eat something, (I thought he was just sniffing) I immediately yelled for him to leave it and he didn't eat any more but I think he swallowed cat poop.
I am furious. I don't own a cat but they are always in my back yard and one of them just craps in the middle of the yard without burying it evidently.
I don't know if I should get out the bb gun and start blasting the little suckers, (not to kill, just to sting and scare) or if I should get a live trap and start taking every one of their butts to the pound. Right now, I wanna take huge piles of dog crap out of the bag and go fling it in their yards, my dog NEVER goes any place but in my yard, I don't even take him for walks until he has done his poo. OR Maybe if the owners have to pay to get the cats out they will quit letting them run loose all the time. GRRRRRRRRR. If my dog ends up with worms, I am going to be so mad.
The two cats I see in the back yard are outside most of the time, so I am sure they have been eating dead things, birds, rabbits.
I thought the possibility of a huge dog in the back yard would keep them out, but I guess they check before coming in. Dodge is not out for very long at a time.
I am starting to really hate cats, they parade in front of my screen door and tease my dog, he whines when they do this, but if I let him out the front door he won't chase them, he has been trained to stay on the porch and I think they know that is his limit.
Sorry for the long rant, but if the cat has worms, and the dog ate the poo with eggs in it, I am assuming he can get them?

Sharon

Old 09-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Ancient Valued Member

Re: Can eating cat poop cause worms?

eating feces of any other animal including other dogs can indeed cause an intestinal parasite infection
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 09-29-2007, 10:19 AM

I would trap the cats and take them to the pound. If the owners have to pay a fee to get their cats back it might encourage them to keep them confined. It's annoying having neighbors cats use your yard as a toilet stop.

Yes your dogs can get worms from eating cat poop. Do you worm the dog regularly? If not I would certainly do so.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:29 PM

My dog has been wormed more than regularly. When I first got him in April from an animal shelter, just because, and then once in about July when someone left the gate open and he went off into the woods to find some deer. I think he picked up a bacterial infection from eating deer poop that time, can't remember the name of it, but we gave him flagyl and the vet recommended worming him again with Dontril Plus because it kills all varieties of worms. It's like 60 bucks to do because he wants me to give it to him right away and then repeat in two weeks to kill any that have hatched before they have a chance to lay eggs. This time, I think I am gonna take a wait and see attitude, and maybe just have a fecal run in a few weeks to make sure.
In the mean time I am sooooooooo mad, I just went out to feed Dodge dinner and one of the freaking cats went jumping over the fence as we came out. Now every time I go outside I have to scour my whole yard for cat crap, and it is infuriating me.
I am going on a trip on Thursday but when I get back the live traps are coming out and the cats are going to the pound. The same law that applies to dogs here applies to cats also, they must be leashed and under control, and not running at random.
Does anyone know how long it takes for the worms to hatch and show up in a fecal? I hate waiting till my dog gets sick, but I hate giving him medicine that may not be necessary either. I am assuming that since the vet wants him wormed at two week intervals, that by three weeks there would be some showing up in a fecal sample.

Sharon

Old 09-30-2007, 08:52 PM

I believe if you're not using a monthly tablet like Sentinel Spectrum that does all worms as well as heartworm then the usual worming schedule is once ever 3 months so he's probably due for a worming if the last dose was in July.

Hope you have success with the cat traps and your neighbors learn that they are not above the law when it comes to confining their animals.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:01 PM

You might want to check with animal control before you trap them. Here cats are allowed to roam... and animal control won't even pick up a dog that's howling under my window at night if it has a collar as there is no leash law and they won't come for one without a collar for three days.

The sad part of this is that people are allowed to shoot the cat/dog if it bothers their chickens or livestock... and sadly that's what people claim when they just shoot them.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:42 PM

Yep we do have a leash law that applies to cats and dogs equally. But animal control will not come to try and catch a cat because someone complains, but you can bet if my rottie was in someone's yard pooping they would run right out to get him. They actually are the ones who supply the live traps, a 50.00 deposit and you can keep it for a week, that is why I am waiting until I get back from my trip.
I did not know that dogs should be wormed every three months. I am going to check into the Sentinel Spectrum.
I don't know how my dog would get worms, (well except for the cat poop) because I always walk him on leash, and my back yard is supposed to be free and clear.
I have heard so many conflicting things when it comes to worms and the different types and what will kill what.
I know they can get them from fleas but he gets his frontline, and he also gets his heartworm stuff every month HeartGard and it's supposed to kill one type of worms besides the heartworms.
And yes, those cat owners who think little Fluffy should be able to run around anywhere he/she pleases are really starting to pi$$ me off.

Sharon

Sharon

Old 09-30-2007, 09:44 PM

I never saw the point of having a pet that roamed all over. You never see them and they annoy people.

Good luck.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:29 PM

Sweetlee: While I understand your frustration, I clean up cat poop in my yard as well, not to mention holes thru my front window screen from my neighbor's cat hanging off it plus the fact she feeds her cats on the porch, thus bringing skunks and raccoons in way too close, some things to consider here.

First, if any of your neighbors see you trapping other neighbor cats, you are opening up yourself to retaliation, especially when you need to 'bait' cats to trap them. This can open up a big can of worms if someone accuses you of intentionally baiting animals into your yard. Also, you may trap something other than a cat--especially at night. Lastly, since I have worked in a shelter years ago, consider the fact that while you are trying to teach your neighbors a lesson here, another dog/cat who is looking for a home may be euthanized to make room for your neighbors' cats.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know how long it takes for the worms to hatch and show up in a fecal?
Here's my experience with worms... Magnus (younger dog) loves to eat other animals poop--particularly mountain lion and coyote. He must have had more than a dozen fecal examines and flotations over the course of a year and a half. After all that he was licking his anus one day and I saw a worm coming out--a taperworm. I took it to the vet for identification. Yup it was a tapeworm and according to the vet it was quite old--probably 2 years. Interesting that NONE of the fecal exams showed a problem. I was furious (fecal exams with the flotation and the office visit charge add up) but very happy it wasn't something serious. Additionally he was on a regular worm medication every month. No flea & tick because neither was a problem where we lived.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro13 View Post
Sweetlee: While I understand your frustration, I clean up cat poop in my yard as well, not to mention holes thru my front window screen from my neighbor's cat hanging off it plus the fact she feeds her cats on the porch, thus bringing skunks and raccoons in way too close, some things to consider here.

First, if any of your neighbors see you trapping other neighbor cats, you are opening up yourself to retaliation, especially when you need to 'bait' cats to trap them. This can open up a big can of worms if someone accuses you of intentionally baiting animals into your yard. Also, you may trap something other than a cat--especially at night. Lastly, since I have worked in a shelter years ago, consider the fact that while you are trying to teach your neighbors a lesson here, another dog/cat who is looking for a home may be euthanized to make room for your neighbors' cats.
Zorro,
I do understand your point about too many animals in the shelter, I really do. I don't have to bait cats into my yard, just into the cage. They are there constantly, I think they watch for Dodge and I to go in and then they come in. Even since I wrote my first post tonight, I went out and there the one was. I blocked it's quick exit, and cornered it. It was safe from Dodge, but he could get close, not that he would hurt it anyhow, but I let him whine and wag his tail and scare it. Then I had Dodge block the quick escape and chased it out of it's secure place and let him chase it to the other side of the yard to another place in the fence where it could fit under. Hopefully that will keep that one out for a time.
You have more patience than I do if you willingly put up with cat crap in your back yard, and holes in your screens. I have a dog secure fence, so that my dog does not run loose, plus he is never out there more than a few minutes without me checking on him.
I would not mind picking up cat crap ONCE in awhile, but having to scour my whole back yard each time I let my dog out is a PIA. I don't hate cats, I really don't, but I hate litterboxes and I would never own a cat that would roam around and either bother people or get hit by a car, so I don't have one, and since I don't have one I don't want the responsibilities of one either.
Anyhow for the next few days I am going to make sure the hose is hooked up, and any cat that comes around is going to get blasted. If that doesn't work, then I will get the trap.
Nobody will see, I have an 8 foot privacy fence, and I will drop the things off in the middle of the night, I am up until about 2 am, at a no kill shelter near here, they have a "night deposit" box.

Sharon

Old 10-01-2007, 02:38 AM

I just wanted to add, I am sorry it is the cats that have to be discouraged from coming around, by being scared or sprayed with the hose, it SHOULD be the owners.
But as we already know many pet owners do not do the right thing by their animals or other people. Sad.

Sharon

Old 10-01-2007, 10:04 AM

Sharon,

I completely agree with you on the cat topic. I have found a couple dead bats partially gone in my back yard--definitely has to be from a cat. Since the bat population here has gotten rather rabid lately I now keep my dogs on leash in their yard to make sure they don't discover a half eaten critter. So when I see cats in my yard I also chase them off though it doesn't matter if they visit when I am not around or when I'm sleeping.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:49 AM

Sharon: I'm not going against you here on this issue, trust me, I deal with many more problems than cat poop. There are many pets in my neighborhood, if they have to roam (cats), all I ask is that people don't put any food outside. My dog has been skunked twice in one summer because somehow the skunk got in his kennel, this is not good. Wild animals come in closer when there is a constant food supply, not to mention more rodents and such. It drives me crazy. Just two weeks ago, as my husband was leaving for work in the wee hours of the morning, a skunk was by his truck, this skunk was probably feasting at my neighbor's front porch, we have told her over again, dang, just feed the cats inside, I don't understand why people do this. I too leave for work at night, I am going to have a major fit if I meet a raccoon on my porch. And, another neighbor told me this skunk had a litter or whatever that's called just a few doors up from me, why the heck not? Great food supply all-around.

So now, we are considering putting up a privacy fence as well. Though, we have to be creative, on one side of my property my neighbor built a wall. This wall would be a good jumping ground for a cat, raccoon, or skunk to easily jump the fence, though would probably be trapped inside. So we have some planning to do, do we stop the fence before that and have that look utterly ridiculous, that would only fence half the yard. blech. I can't imagine how I could reinforce that area, we are still thinking on that one.

Sheesh, I know it stinks, especially when you have a cat hiking over your 8 ft. fence. Good luck to you and be careful.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaack View Post
Here's my experience with worms... Magnus (younger dog) loves to eat other animals poop--particularly mountain lion and coyote. He must have had more than a dozen fecal examines and flotations over the course of a year and a half. After all that he was licking his anus one day and I saw a worm coming out--a taperworm. I took it to the vet for identification. Yup it was a tapeworm and according to the vet it was quite old--probably 2 years. Interesting that NONE of the fecal exams showed a problem. I was furious (fecal exams with the flotation and the office visit charge add up) but very happy it wasn't something serious. Additionally he was on a regular worm medication every month. No flea & tick because neither was a problem where we lived.
For some reason the tape worm is not evident on fecal examinations. If you are doing a monthly worming make sure that the worming medication specifically states that it does tape worm. Most of the products available do other types of worms but not tape worm. Sentinel Spectrum does tape worm. My dogs have been on Sentinel Spectrum for years and the dogs have never had fleas or worms.