Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 10:17 PM

Unhappy Warning:Kingdom Pets Chicken Jerky

If you buy Kingdom Pets Original Chicken Jerky from COSTCO please stop. Our dog has been in the ICU at the Animal Hospital since Saturday with Acute Renal failure. He will most likely have to be put down soon.
It has been nothing short of a nightmare. All tests came back negative for everything possible.
The vet believes it is from the Chicken Jerky treats. I have come across tons of people on line who have lost a dog or have very sick dogs and all of them due to the chicken jerky. They have not been recalled, the bag says Los Angeles CA but on the back in fine print it says made in China.
Please do not buy anything for your dogs that is made in China even if it is not on a recall list.
This company's voice mail states that they are "not affiliated with WALMART Bestro Chicken Jerky incident". This same company, Kingdom Pets, has a product that is sold at COSTCO today and is believed to be related to many deaths and sicknesses. After 5 days in the ICU, many many tests and an astronomical vet bill (to date) we are convinced my dogs sickness is due to these treats.

Karlan
Luna 6 yr old Rottie
Coco - Rainbow Bridge

Last edited by Karlan; 09-18-2007 at 10:25 PM.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:55 PM

Re: Warning:Kingdom Pets Chicken Jerky

What does the bag look like? I think I have given them once in the past. Then I saw there were from China and stopped buying them... If you have a photo that would be sweet. Though we don't shop at costco...

Old 09-18-2007, 11:08 PM

I went to Kingdom Pets site... Have they changed their package lately? I think what we bought was in an orange bag...

Old 09-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Valued Member

The ones at the Costco near me are called Waggin Train Jerky Tenders, distributed by ADI Pet, Inc. Reno, NV.......and also made in China (in tiny print). If you google "ADI Pet, Inc. Reno NV" there are plenty of horror stories of dead dogs and dogs in renal failure. The company claims the product is safe. I'll err on the side of caution!

Karlan, I'm sorry your dog is going through this. How did the vet come to his conclusion that it was the treats? From what I saw when I googled, it seems like these products should be on a recall, but they're not......?

Chili von der Frolikind UDX4 OM5 RE NJP CGC
SilverHeart's StoryBook "Pippi" CGC
BamBoo! of Rascaltown BOH^
^Sweet Angel Luna^ 1995-2004

Old 09-19-2007, 11:18 AM

Karlan--sorry to be insensitive... I am very sorry about your dog. A coworker recently went through the kidney failure process with his puppy and I know it was awful. I hope you have some decent time to say good-bye at the very least... You both are in my thoughts.

Quote:
Please do not buy anything for your dogs that is made in China even if it is not on a recall list.
I think this is better advice than simply not buying treats from Costco... There are SO many other vendors that shelved and sold products in the recall. Some of the products were labeled made in the USA; they don't say with ingredients from China.

99% of the time all the products we buy for our dogs are made in the USA. For the majors like food I do a lot research re: where the ingredients come from (mostly the meat) the conditions of the factory, how the food is processed/handled, how many complaints have been made claiming the food made the dog sick...

For treats we have found there are LOTS of places locally that we can purchase treats such that if we ever have a problem we will just hop in the car and drive to the place to issue our complaints. There are also a lot of farmers around that raise food animals that also make treats for cats and dogs and are happy to provide raw bones. Just seems better to me than buying treats from unknown sources.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:37 AM

Thank you for the warning, and I'm so sorry about your dog. I really hope he pulls through.

43% of all statistics are worthless!

Old 09-19-2007, 09:27 PM

Thanks everyone for your support and kind words. All tests have come back negative including Lepto. They will not be able to prove conclusively that it is the chicken jerky treats but if everything else is negative then all signs point in that direction.
The bag is a zip lock bag type bag, says on the front in large red letters CHICKEN JERKY and in blue letters Kingdom Pets Original. 3.0 lb bag 100% real chicken, 97% fat free. 48 oz bag. In the center of the bag is a picture of a Golden Retriever and at the bottom in smaller purple letters says HEALTHY DOG TREATS and to the left of that in a stamp type mark says "made from fresh chicken breast fillet".

I spoke with two different people today who give these treats and thier dogs have been sick for a few weeks. Not a bad as mine but vomitting regularly, eating grass, very loose stool, not as energetic, etc....
My husband went to COSTCO today and spoke with the manager. He told him the situation and the manager said that these treats are not on the RECAL LIST. My husband said I know and they should be, you need to pull them from the shelves. He thanked him but refused.
He bought another bag to take to a local University vet school to see if they will test them. My vet is making copies of the file in triplicate in the even of a law suit. This was their idea, not mine. They are that convinced it is from the treats.
Also, I have read on other sites that people are saying a treat/food has been recalled yet something similar emerges later under a different name or different packaging yet is still the same contiminated product. PLEASE be careful and don't buy anything at all made in China. If my warning can save even one dogs life it will be worth it.

Karlan
Luna 6 yr old Rottie
Coco - Rainbow Bridge

Old 09-19-2007, 10:50 PM

Karlan, I'm so very sorry for what you are going through and I thank you very much for the warning. As far as a lawsuite goes, I say if you have any proof and the resources to do it, sue the pants off of them.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Valued Member

I know a lot of people have been touting these chicken jerky treats for a few years now. I have been tempted to buy them, but saw that they are from China. I have always had bad feelings about stuff made outside of N. America.
I am so sorry that your boy is doing so badly. I have all fingers and toes crossed for a recovery.
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD

Old 09-20-2007, 04:08 PM

Thanks again you guys. I am so against almost anything from China and feel like such an ASS for not having noticed on the back that it says made in China. The front says Los Angels CA so I probably dind't look further.

The dog isnt' doing so well today and the vets want to meet with us this afternoon. I am afraid I know what is going to be said.

I don't think it would be us that would initiate a law suit due to the cost and the amount of the vet bill that we are dealing with now, but we would
absolutely get involved in a class action suit. I don't know how all that works but the vet was saying something about it yesterday.

I will update when I can.

thanks again.

P.S. my husband is with the dog now and says he looks better, licking him and happy to see him and his levels are slightly down. I don't know what to think other than today is not the day.

Karlan
Luna 6 yr old Rottie
Coco - Rainbow Bridge

Old 09-20-2007, 04:31 PM

I am really really sorry about your dog. I hear you on China. I avoid stuff made there across the board if at all possible mainly b/c of their method of control for rabies; rounding up dogs and electrocuting them. You may wish to contact the Lewis & Clark Law School in Portland, OR. They have an animal law area and could provide info re: a class action. Some attorneys will only charge by taking a cut of the proceeds if there are any.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:31 PM

UPDATE:

Friday morning we got a call from the vet that he had taken a turn for the worse and went in immediately. He had seizured a few times and there was blood in his urine bag. By the looks of him there was no other choice, we made the decision to let him go immediately.

The vet did a necropsy that afternoon and told us that to the naked eye the dog was cancer free. Since all other tests came back fine the only thing left has to be related to the treats. She found something, DHC?, I can't remember, that is toxic, in his asophogus and GI track. She took samples of it all through out and tissue samples of the organs to send to a Dr. Roberts in Cooper City to do the toxicology.

We are meeting with the vet this afternoon to pick up my dog and discuss what exactly it was she found that makes the treats suspect. I will update when I have more.

Karlan
Luna 6 yr old Rottie
Coco - Rainbow Bridge

Old 09-22-2007, 12:33 PM

I AM SO SORRY! You are in our thoughts.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:44 PM

I am so sorry to learn that your sweet boy left you. Please know that your advice may have saved many dogs. Since your first posting about the chicken strips, I decided to check mine out. They were the all natural brand sold at Trader Joe, an all natural market. My vet had said Lola could have them since they were from that store. Well thanks to your heads up, I reread the package and there in the tiny print, sure enough made in China. These were made by the same factory in China but touted to have no added flavoring etc. There is a sign up in my vets office and the store is considering pulling the product. Well at least they were open to the findings. I am so sorry we had to learn this way but, I am so grateful to you for being generous enough to share your story. Your precious boy will be honored as a Saint in our home and will be remembered every time I pass the word about these so called treats. Again, I am just so sorry about your boy.
Jane

Old 09-22-2007, 03:31 PM

so sorry to hear this awful news, hope you get to the bottom of the problem although it seems you know whats happened you just cant prove it