Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 05:06 PM

has anyone used the drug tramadol along w/ predisone

Well our vet did come to the house and took bloodwork on Ceasar. He said Ceasar looks tired and he is weak. He is currantly on predisone and chephelexin(antibotic). His bloodwork came back basically showing nothing really out of the ordinary. His WBC counts was alittle elevated but that could be due to the predisone. Well he is having such a hard time walking and he just seems disoriented. Our vet keeps saying middle ear which I do believe since he has had bouts of vertigo before. So now were are putting him on Tramadol along w/ the oter medications and see we can't figure this out what is going on with him. He could also have a small tumor developing at his brain stem. I don't know, but it is so upsetting. I just want him stable at least and we can take care of him and he can be happy. Like I said before and our vet said this morning, even if we bring him in for nurogical testing and we put a name on what is going on, of course the big hospitals will say they can fix the problem w/ surgery and cutting into his head. Our vet who comes from he big hospitals said no one will cut Ceasar open on his watch because it will do no good, only put him through a whole day of testing and something we should never even consider at his age(11). He would not get better, let along not to mention have a heart attack on the table. So we are just trying to do what we can. We did have him somewhat stabalized last week and then I weened him off he predisone and he went back to step 1. Its pretty much touch and go right now and we are just hopeing he can pull himself together. If anyone has ever used Tramadol let me know what you thought of it. Thanks all. D. Ervin and Ceasar

Old 09-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Valued Member

Re: has anyone used the drug tramadol along w/ predisone

Is he in pain? I can't tell by your post. Yes, I've used Prednisone in combination with Tramadol for my beloved Luna. Tramadol is a narcotic and one of the few pain relievers that can be used along with Pred.

I'm not sure how to answer your question about how well it works....for my dog it worked great for a couple days and then it wasn't enough. She had bone cancer in her spine, so unless your dog has bone cancer you can't really compare the result.

Chili von der Frolikind UDX4 OM5 RE NJP CGC
SilverHeart's StoryBook "Pippi" CGC
BamBoo! of Rascaltown BOH^
^Sweet Angel Luna^ 1995-2004

Old 09-07-2007, 05:32 PM

Yes I used tramadol on my boy the last week of his life..while we waited for his Dad to drive across country to be able to say good bye and be with him as he crossed over. He had bone cancer. His eyes got all droppy and he seemed groggy so I assume it helped with the pain. Ultimately it was my responsiblity to end the pain eternally for him.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:30 PM

No guys, Ceasar doesn't have cancer, but something is throwing him off balance and he doesn't want to get up. He is weak and when he gets off balance he tries to run and makes it worse. This is just something else for us to try to see if we can stablize him to where he is comfortable. I know the predisone is for the inflamation and a good booster. My other Rottie lived on it of 3 years, he had immune-mediated poly arthritis. We just don't know exactly what is going on with Ceasar. I know his age is playing a big factor. I have read up on the meds and I know Tramadol is a new med that can be used w/predisone, just I hope it works for Ceasar and can get him moving better. He is eating and pretty much alert to my voice. D. Ervin and Ceasar

Old 09-07-2007, 06:52 PM

I don't think anyone is implying your Ceasar has cancer...we are just telling you about our experience with the Drug Tramadol.
Hoping for some definative answers...helping you find some solutions SOON.
I will hold a good and positive thought for your Ceasar!!

Last edited by Sam's Mom; 09-07-2007 at 07:00 PM.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:27 PM

Haven't used tramadol on any of my dogs, but it is a weak narcotic, and a decent painkiller.
I would not look for him to get up and move alot more, especially at first as tramadol can cause drowsiness/sleepiness. Depending on how he reacts it could also cause dizziness making him seem a bit more disoriented than before. On me, I just got a little drowsy with it is all.
If it helps whatever pain he is in, he just may get up and move about some more, after he has a nap.
I really hope it helps.
The fact that he is alert to you and is eating is a good sign.
I am so sorry you are going through this, it's heartbreaking.

Sharon

Old 09-07-2007, 08:49 PM

Well tonite is his first dose of Tramadol, and I just gave him his chephelexins w/ some ground beef and rice and I am going to sleep in the family room w/him tonite, because he will bark if he can't find me and don't want to get up. He took 2 predisones this morning so I couldn't give him 1 w/the tramadol tonite. Tomorrow I will start 1 predisone, 2 tramadol and his chephelexins 2xs a day. Which is what his vet wants to do. Hopefully, this will help. Me and my husband are just going over things that could be wrong w/him?? Maybe he hurt his back? I don't want to think the worst that its a brain tumor, but I don't think thats it because he would be having way more seizures for it to be effecting his balance like this. Its something inner ear but what?? We did the x-rays, but now I wish we would have x-rayed his back and neck. We were just worried about anything going on inside him. Even the bloodwork was ok. Nothing catistropical the vet said. All I know is something is wrong with him and I hope we can figure it out. Thank you all and I know you are all trying to help. I appriciate it. D. Ervin and Ceasar

Old 09-08-2007, 12:56 PM

I used Tramadol post TPLO on Legend and in the interim period on my Chow when I was switching from Metacam to Rimadyl (it can be used with NSAIDs, and she needed a "clean out" period between those two drugs). However...it did make Legend pretty groggy and I have another friend who's dog is on it - but they can only give it in the evening as it makes him quite "out of it"....I'm thinking that if your dog is already having problems with balance, it might be hard to tell if it's coming from the drug or his problem. OOPS -- I just read back through the postings a bit and see that sweetlee said the same thing...great minds... :)

U-CD, FO, GRCH, CH Ciel Legend Vom Stefanhaus, CDX, AJP, AXP, RAE, PT, JHD, CS, CI, CX, BH, RL1, TT, CGC, , THD, TDIAV (born 2-15-03)
and many other furry *kids*

Old 09-08-2007, 08:39 PM

I agree, it seems to be making Ceasar alittle groggy. He is on 2 50mgs pill 2xs a day along w/his predisone. I am going to wait till Monday and see if there is improvement and then talk to the vet again. Today he did get up on his own for dinner which is GREAT!, but after he didn't want to go out for my mom or dad so he layed down till we got him from work. Although he was on the run when we got him outside, it seemed to me any that we was a bit disoriented?? Not sure. Anyway he is in bed now and thats where I am going! Thanks. My other Rottie was on Metacam for about 7months about 5 years ago and it did do him good. My husband sugested it but I am going to wait to see what happens. D. Ervin and Ceasar

Old 10-06-2007, 10:36 AM

Hi Guy, Ceasar has been doing well, his doses have been lowered because I do believe the tramadol was making him alittle groggy. So they were cut in half awhile back. Right now as of Sept. 20th, he is on 30mgs of predisone 1 and 1/2 pills, 2 tramadol, and 2 chephelxins a day. The antiboltics were lowered on the 20th the others were lowered the week before. He has been fine, and this past Monday and Tuesday was following me all around decorating and when I was outside barked to be outside. So all has been well. This past I'd say starting Thursday he started to be alittle lartargic, as I mean only going out 2xs, and laying around alot more then his usual. His rutein was get up go out and then eat, now I had to call he several times to eat and he don't want to go out although he does. He is sluggish, just looks like he is tired and not feeling well. I took his temperature and it is 100.4, which is normal? I was going to call the vet today but I will wait till tomorrow and see what happens today. He just may be having a couple days where he is tired. He turned 11 on OCt.1st and I took a picture of him and he has the biggest smile on his face. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? and I am also giving him Pepcid for his stomach because of the predisone. Thanks, D. Ervin

Old 10-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Valued Member

Your vet is very misinformed about the dangers of modern anesthesia. With an experienced vet, using modern anesthetics and monitoring techniques, anesthesia is very safe. Which is not to say that you should spend big money on expensive surgery on a very elderly do (for a Rottweiler), but your vet is at least somewhat misleading you about the dangers.

Tramadol is a very effective medication for pain relief in dogs, it is less sedating than some other pain meds, does not cause the stomach upset that others do, and is generally very safe. Please remember that your dog only cares about his quality of life, and that should be the only thing you concern yourself with as well. He needs to be comfortable and happy.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:17 PM

I wouldn't put Ceasar under anestesia at his age and condition for a surgery. I don't even know tht he needs one. We never did diagnose the problem other then it is definetly inner ear related. I agree it would be very tramatic on Ceasar if I brought him to the Univ.of Penn. where my vet is a board member and had him there for the day to undergo tests. I did speek with him today which I said I would wait till tomorrow but didn't and he said just to raise his predisone level another 10mgs and I will call him monday and let him know if there is a change. The predisone is already in his system and I believe the tramadol levels out the predisone. I don't know that he even needs the tramadol but our vet says it is a safe drug and it is doing him good. I go to great lengths to make sure he is in no pain and comfortable. He has been fine and I just don't want him to relapse. I make sure he is happy and his spirits are up. I can tell when he gives me the puppy eyes when his head is down. Its the excited look and he wants to see what is going on everywhere. Like I said Mon and Tues he was following me all over. So he just may be having a bad day. Believe me money is no option when it comes to my dogs or my kids, they also are my kids. Its what is best for him and always has and will be. Even with my other Rott Thor, I kept him going for 3 years when others would not have been bothered. He had immune mediated poly arthritis and his back legs went bad. He had to be helped up and then he walked. He grew to understand his handicap and was happy and high spirited until the time came I could do nothing else but let him go. These dogs are very smart and to me close to human. WE shalll see what happens hopefully he will be ok. Thanks, D. Ervin

Old 10-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Novice Member

Yes you can use Tramadol with Pred. Tramadol is for pain and Prednisone is a steroid to help with swelling and inflamation. I'm a vet tech and we always send home Tramadol if the owner wants something for pain, esp after spaying or declawing.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:08 AM

One thing that did suprise me was that on the dose of predisone which I guess is really not a whole lot for Ceasar(135lbs), 30 or 40mgs which ever he needs, he is not totally hyper, which leads me to believe that the tramodol is leveling out the predisone for a happy medium. If it works I'm good with it although I hate predisone but it did help my other Rottie for 3 years along w/ dexamethasone once a year when he would have a flare up. I would give him 2 shots a day for 3 days and then take the stent out and it took all the inflamation down and he was good to go at his matientance dose of predisone10mgs for the year. Each case is different and what works for one I found out not necessarly works for the other. Thanks guys, Debbie.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:39 PM

Ceasar has taken a turn for the worst. This morning he would not eat or would he go out. I called our vet as I seen to believe it is his stomach that something is going on. We gave him pepto and pepcid and uped his antibotics in a hopes that he would feel better. But today when we tried to get him out, he can't walk, me and my husband had to help him all around and he just layed in the yard when we let him go. He has lost the sparkle in his eye, that I previously was saying, the puppy look, that he has always had up until today. He is resting right now and I am going to stay with him, and in the morning we are going to have him put down. I can't tell you how upset I am and I love Ceasar so much, and I can't see him like this. I don't think a miracle is going to happen overnite so I am preparing myself. He is tired and I know it. He was 11 on Oct. 1st. I had to post this to let you all know and just pray that I get through this, as it is one of the hardest things but the most important thing I am doing. Thank you all for listening. I told his brother Thor to wait for him at the bridge and I know he will. D. Ervin

Closed Thread