Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 07:38 AM

False pregnancy and loss of appetite?

My girl just turned one on July 12. This is the first intact female I have had. She went into heat near the end of March and it lasted till mid April. She went through a false pregnancy and about a 3-4 weeks ago started losing interest in her food. She has been fed Timberwolf, mainly chicken, since a pup and I always had a few small bags of fish and lamb that I would give her some variety. Last week, she flat out refused to eat at all, but she will eat goodies. She started vomiting last weekend and it was all just bile from her empty stomach. Her acid stomach might be causing her to not feel like eating. I had her to the vet on Sun. and Mon. They are checking her stool and urine and blood. The vet called yesterday and said the blood came back "perfect". I don't know about the other tests yet. Probably today or tomorrow. I bought a small bag of EVO to try and she seems more interested in that than the Timberwolf right now, but I still have to coax her to eat. Is loss of appetite common relative to false pregnancy? She is still carrying milk but every day I can see where she is firming up more.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:08 PM

Re: False pregnancy and loss of appetite?

if you are sure about when her heat was, her main false pregnancy would have been early to mid june. that's when i notice they get a bit sluggish(around the day they would have whelped if bred-59-64 days from standing heat).
any chance of getting into something she shouldn't have? if she is still acting like this, maybe consider xrays.
did they check stool for parasites or bacteria overgrowth? that can also be a reason.
it's also very hot. some dogs appetite wane some.
let us know what else they find. keep us posted.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 07-18-2007, 05:43 PM

Targonrotts, I don't expect the stool and urine results until tomorrow. The vet said if all the tests are good and she is still vomiting she will do xrays. The last time she vomitted was Monday am after she ate a little. I changed her food in hoping it might help and so far she is eating better and has not vomitted since. At this stage, the vet thinks her problem is her hormones out of control from the false pregnancy. The loss of appetite did start mid June, which was two months after she finished her heat.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 PM

im not sure about any suggestions from a false pregnancy, but when my Nena was fataly sick with what they assumed Parvovirus, she didnt want to touch any of the food the vet recommended. Try giving your pooch something she will really enjoy but still easy on the stomach... we fed Nena home cooked rice and cooked hamburger meat. 3/4 rice 1/4 meat. See if that interests her more... they think its a treat.
I hope you figure things out, waiting for test is stressful and frustrating. im in the same boat right now.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:21 AM

NenaMarie, she will eat, but it takes alot of coaxing. If I offer her a goodie, she's right there to get it. I'm doing whatever works to get her to eat because I don't want her to start vomitting again when her stomach is empty too long. Too much stomach acid, she doesn't feel well, and won't eat. From what the vet has seen so far, she doesn't think it's anything major but I'm still waiting for the results of the other tests. I should hear about them today.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:42 PM

ask your vet about giving her pepcid(famotidine) to help with her stomach acid.
we use it at the clinic all the time when meds make them vomit or can make their stomach upset. we also use it on recovering vomitting patients.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 07-20-2007, 07:08 AM

Yes, I was giving 20mg Pepcid ac and it did help. Things are looking up though in the last day or two. She seems to like EVO red meat with a little canned meat mixed in. This morning she cleaned her bowl with no coaxing. I think the heat may have something to do with her not eating. We have obedience and agility classes, and since it has gotten warm, she is not into it at all. She just looks for a cool spot to stretch out. I talked to my vet last night around 10:30 and she said all the tests are good. As long as she is eating and not losing weight and not lethargic, she doesn't feel there's a need for xrays. No vomiting since last Monday. Looking good!
NenaMaria, I hope everything works out well for you. It's a bummer when you have a young pup and are looking forward to alot of years together and find out they have a major health problem. Our best wishes are with you.