Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 08:14 AM

Ugh...nails pulling away from the quick.

My poor Amber has been having a very rough time with her toes! Last month she tore a nail off and just last week when I went to give her a pedicure I noticed that one nail was split & had pulled away from the quick. We went to the vet, who is having me soak Amber's foot 2x per day. She was reluctant to remove the nail since it was loose enough that it should fall off on it's own.

Now on Saturday, for her weekly pedicure, I found another nail that has split & pulled away from the quick. This nail had broken and I was able to trim as much back as possible. But I have never seen anything like this- the quicks are clearly visible & pulled away from the nail.

This has never happened before. Amber is a rescue & her quicks were long when we got her & have remained so in spite of weekly trimmings so while I keep her nails as short as possible they're not super short. She's never had these problems in the past 5 years that we've had her. The only changes in her environment have been wood floors vs all carpet & a larger house meaning more room to rush at the cat. Since she loves to give a good lunge at the cat, or stand and vigorously shake a toy at the window could it be the floors?

What can I do to help prevent this from happening? She's not limping, or yelping but she does lick at the offending toes (especially the one that's been getting soaked).

Thanks for your help,

Nina

Old 07-09-2007, 11:32 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Ugh...nails pulling away from the quick.

I've heard of this before, and it was a problem with the immune system.
Try do a search here, because this problem has been discussed before. Also do a google search and see if you can find some more info.

Also, could it be a fungal infection that has affected the nail beds? This is serious, and I would imagine painful too.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 07-09-2007, 12:56 PM

Re: Ugh...nails pulling away from the quick.

you could also do a blood test and check her thyroid. Sometimes a hypothyroid dog can have nail problems. I would be a good idea to rule it out at least. Good luck

Old 07-09-2007, 01:45 PM

There is a Greyhound disorder that affects the toe nails. It is called SLO, can't remember the real name, just the initials. If you want I can get the full name of the disorder and see if I can find some links.
sue

Old 07-09-2007, 02:28 PM

Yup SLO, I was one of the ones who posted about this about a year ago...the full name is: Symmetrical Lupoid Onychodystrophy (that's a mouth full). We never got an "official" diagnosis, as that requires a toe amputation...but every sign pointed/points in that direction. It's an autoimmune, lupus-like disorder.

Over the course of about 2 months ALL of Jana's toenails lifted and pulled away from the quicks, including dew claws. It was a pretty uncomfortable time for her and we treated her with iodine foot baths and preventative antibiotics. At the time the vet said there was basically nothing we could do to stop it and that we'd have to wait and see if any further Lupus complications developed. Fortunately they haven't...her nails never really grew back all the way, so now it just looks like I do a great job of keeping them really short

Since then, what I've learned is that diet can really be a trigger...its certainly likely that is was for Jana as immediately prior to this I had switched her off her normal food. I switched her back and she now gets extra fish oil supplements (which are highly recommended with this condition) and while her nails haven't grown back normal, she also hasn't had any recurrence of the initial problem.

Some good links for more info:

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/SLO.htm

http://www.beaconforhealth.org/Onchodystrophy.htm

http://www.bloodaxe.com/SLO.html

Good luck and I hope your girl feels better soon....
Jake - Momma's "special" boy
www.arottalove.org

Old 07-09-2007, 03:29 PM

oh my GOD! I never suspected that it could be anything like this! The rest of her nails appear hale & hearty (with the exception of the one that got ripped off last month). I haven't changed her food at all- she still gets Canidae kibble & her Innova treats. I'll definitely start adding fish oil (it can't hurt).

Now I know why the vet was so interested in Amber's general health when I brought her in for the split nail. Did Jana show any other signs? Was she exhibiting discomfort? Because aside from licking an the split nail Amber is her usual goofy, gluttonous, bouncy self.

Wow...just...wow. Maybe I'm borrowing trouble but I never thought that the nails could be sign of something else.

Nina

Old 07-09-2007, 03:45 PM

Oh, I was thinking it was all her nails...if it's just one or two it could be something bacterial?? which was what my vet thought until it started to affect all her nails...

As for any other symptoms...nope, not a one...she was, and is, completely healthy and happy otherwise...when all the nails were coming off she was obviously bothered by and sensitive about her feet (chewing, licking, guarding) but once they all came off she was back to her normal self. She hasn't had any other problems or complications from it since...seems to have been a one time anomoly/flare up thats now under control with just diet.
Jake - Momma's "special" boy
www.arottalove.org

Old 07-09-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasMom View Post
Oh, I was thinking it was all her nails...if it's just one or two it could be something bacterial?? which was what my vet thought until it started to affect all her nails.
Well there was the nail that she ripped off last month and another that had broken badly but not bled at the same time (she lost her footing going up the stairs & scrabbled for purchase, tearing the nails). The split one I'm soaking now & the other one that was broken/pulled away from the quick that I found on Saturday during her pedicure. So that's 4 nails out of 16 (not counting her dew claws ). I'll start the fish oil tonight, keep up with the soaks & bring her back to the vet this week. The split nails may be totally unrelated to the torn nails but why take chances?

Thanks for all of the help & advice!

Nina