Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 09:51 PM

Coughing??

I have a 13 mo. male who had been 'coughing' the last 12 hours. He sounds like most dogs do before they are about to vomit, but nothing comes out. It doesn't sound like he is having a problem breathing, but every couple hours he seems to gag for 10-15 seconds and then stops. He licks himself quite a bit and I almost think it is a dog-version of a hairball, but would like any input from anyone who has had a similar problem

Old 06-22-2007, 11:13 PM

Re: Coughing??

It's sounds as though it could be kennel cough.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:48 PM

Or could he have a something stuck down in this throat? Even maybe something irritated his throat?

Old 06-24-2007, 06:06 PM

My pup made a sound like he was trying to get an object out of his throat. He would do it about every hour or so and it would last for about 10 seconds(sounds horrible). It started on a Sunday, we had him in the vet's office Monday morning, it was kennel cough, and he had had the vac. for it already. The vet put him on meds and he was better in a week or so. We were lucky it didn't last longer. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:08 PM

When Denver was a pup, he did the same thing,wretching and hacking every so often. Finally I was able to pry his mouth open.There was a stick wedged in his upper jaw. Once I pulled it out he was fine. Have you looked in his mouth???
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]George Bernard Shaw[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Old 06-28-2007, 02:42 AM

Berry has seasonal allergies. During the spring and fall especially she gets congested and coughs a lot. It sounds like kennel cough, but the vet says it's just allergies...she's been doing it since I've had her (2 1/2 years).

Ask your vet, though, as it could possibly be something worse. Better safe than sorry!

Old 07-02-2007, 07:06 AM

Sounds like what happened to my rottie a while ago.To relive him straight away,try a table spoon of honey.Hell lick it off the spoon.It really helped and he was fixed in a few days.Great for imediate comfort relief.goodluck.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:20 AM

My 8 year old rottie made a gagging type of sound off and on when he drank or ate some treats. We went to the vet and had x-rays done. My vet suggested we look down his throat (he was going in for surgery on his knee)

The doctors found he has Laryngeal Hemiplegia. His left laryngeal cartiledge was not moving normally. The good news for us is that he has a very mild case of this disease and as long as it doesn't get worse or the other side is not paralyzed he will be fine.

I hope by now you have found out what is wrong and that it was just a cough that got better.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:46 PM

Could be KC or it could be from eating grass. The dogs are eating lots of grass right now.

In any event it's worth watching and making note of

Old 07-04-2007, 10:43 PM

I have two doggies clients who cough intermittently this time of year. They've been vetted and nothing was "found." So we think it's seasonal allergies.

Good luck!