Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-1999, 09:30 AM

Rottweiler with Osteosarcoma

I have a 7 1/2 yr Rottweiler, Gretta (my baby) with osteosarcoma as of Aug 3. She started with a limp on July 29, front left leg. She has severe hip dysplasia and degenerative disease. Amputation was not really an option (50/50 chance of getting up again)so pain management is our method. A friend who had a Golden Retriever with histiocytosis told us about IP6 an enzymatic treatment. Her dog had 3 weeks to live without amputation, they amputated. The dog had open tumors on his body to be clean 3x a day - she put him on IP6 and in two weeks the tumors closed and healed. The dog lived for four months. Another dog with osteo on IP6 lived a year longer than the veterinarian told the owner. I started Gretta, Aug 12(2 weeks ago) on 5 - IP6 and 10 750 mg. shark cartilage a day along with 2 100mg - 2x a day of phenobutylzone. Her initial limp went from pronounced limp to a very slight limp and sometimes no limp at all. Is the IP6 working - I don't know for sure but it is worth passing the news on. Does anyone know of the IP6 and its success stories? It is found in the health food & vitamin stores and info. on IP6 is on the net. It is for humans, what is good for me is certainly good for Gretta too! Any other info or suggestions you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Gretta is my best friend and dearly loved baby girl!!! Colleen

Old 08-27-1999, 11:57 AM

Gretta will be coming on her 1 month mark since being diagnosed and still just a very slight almost unnoticeable limp. I just keep searching and searching for new info. I can get. So far just the IP6 - we will see how it works. What is going on with this dreaded disease? Maybe someday we will find the answer. We owned Rottweilers since 1988 and were not aware of the cancer in the breed.
------------------
Gretta's Mom

[Note: This message has been edited by ~cosmo]

Old 08-27-1999, 02:50 PM

Gretta is my best friend, companion and my baby. I am still grasping for hope in the enzymatic IP6 and measuring very lightly with my hand if any swelling occurs daily on her leg.
------------------
Gretta's Mom

Old 08-29-1999, 06:16 AM

It will be 8 weeks tomorrow since I lost my Rotti Manny (age 8 years) to Osteosarcoma. I know the heartbreak. He was my best friend. I didn't consider chemo and when I asked my regular Vet should I consider amputation he said no. I treated his pain, in his final days he went down hill rapidly. I was originally told 6 months maybe more but it was just 1 day short of a month after diagnosis. At least in my case he didn't lose the will to live, the cancer just spread to his spine and he couldn't even get up. So he was fairly happy and pain free till the end. Not that that helped me a lot in the end. He'd always been a bit of a limper but it usually was if he put on a little weight and once he got his weight down he was better.
Spend all the time you can with your rotti, I'd even taken a week off work to spend with him and lost him that first day. Though he'd had a good month, slept in my bedroom, went to work with me everyday.

I wish you well

[This message has been edited by Eliza (edited August 29, 1999).]

Old 08-30-1999, 09:48 AM

Gretta is still going strong - very slight limp. I put her up to 6 IP6 a day now. The 29th was her 1 month since her initial limp.
------------------
Gretta's Mom

Old 08-14-2008, 02:51 PM

Re: Rottweiler with Osteosarcoma

I have a 6 year old neutered male. Recently on trip to vet we discovered a protruding rib. Vet asked if he had been injured? Essentially it feels like a broken rib. Vet is confident that it is a sarcoma but wants to do xrays, and biopsy. Is there a good site to get more information on sarcoma, treatment or what to do?

Dog seems normal, other than a current bout of Chlostridium causing diarrehea which has been treated. Other than that, he seems normal.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:06 AM
One of the Old Folks

Question Re: Rottweiler with Osteosarcoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbresnah View Post
Gretta is still going strong - very slight limp. I put her up to 6 IP6 a day now. The 29th was her 1 month since her initial limp.
------------------
Gretta's Mom

I wonder what happened to Gretta? and how much longer she lived? This thread is almost 10 years old!!!

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 08-15-2008, 08:09 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Rottweiler with Osteosarcoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaddog View Post
I have a 6 year old neutered male. Recently on trip to vet we discovered a protruding rib. Vet asked if he had been injured? Essentially it feels like a broken rib. Vet is confident that it is a sarcoma but wants to do xrays, and biopsy. Is there a good site to get more information on sarcoma, treatment or what to do?

Dog seems normal, other than a current bout of Chlostridium causing diarrehea which has been treated. Other than that, he seems normal.
Sorry to hear about your boy. Click on the blue bar near the top of the page where it says "Search" and type in the information you are looking for. Or just do a google search such as "canine sarcoma".....you should come up with many website for information.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 08-15-2008, 10:08 AM

Re: Rottweiler with Osteosarcoma

Bigbaddog: Take Brunie's Mom's suggestion and do a search or you could start a new thread in the Vets Corner of this forum. This thread is over 9 years old and many of the treatments have changed for the better over the last 9 years.

I hope your boy is ok.