Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2000, 12:49 AM

Tums for dogs?

Someone mentioned dogs with reflux and I'm sure thats what Cass is having. Sudden vomiting in the middle of the night just yellowish stuff or after naps. Never food just liquid and shes fine right after. Can you give dogs people antacids? Or do you need to get them from the vet?

Old 02-08-2000, 11:14 AM

Lil E,

I don't know the answer to your question about Tums, but having been through this type of thing with a couple dogs, I've found some things that help.

If you give your dog a small meal before bed, this will quite often help them get through the night. With dogs prone to this, I've found that feeding three times a day sometimes helps.

If this doesn't work, try changing food. When my dog was eating the Nutro Lite Lamb and Rice formula, she would throw up a few times a day. I took her to the vet and he prescribed something (can't remember the name) that speeds up the stomach motility, which should have kept the acid from building up. This helped a little, but the dog would still throw up. I changed food, started home-cooking actually, and the vomiting disappeared overnight.

This vomiting can sometimes be a sign of a food sensitivity, so if feeding three meals a day doesn't help, try changing the food.

[This message has been edited by CarolineS (edited February 08, 2000).]

Old 02-08-2000, 11:31 AM

I know Pepto-Bismol is safe to give to a dog. The condition you mention is not normal if it's a regular occurrance. Best way is to treat the cause with a DVM, not the symtoms.

Old 02-09-2000, 12:12 AM

My vet had recommended Rolaids for my Dane, (after testing and ruling out every probable cause for his digestive problem) I would assume it would be okay for a dog of any breed. And he actually likes them.

Old 02-09-2000, 11:15 AM

I'm so embarrassed I forgot to mention the obvious. Of course, the above posters are exactly right, you should definitely take the dog to the vet to find out the cause of this. Both the dogs I've owned with this problem were checked out by the vet prior to my doing the things I suggested above.

Old 02-09-2000, 08:09 PM

I have the exact same problem with my dog and it is driving me nuts. My dog will vomit about 3 times a day. The vet said she probably has an ulcer and prescribed Tetracycline for 3 weeks. I have been giving her Tums two times a day and I think it helps. I never asked the vet, but figured it couldn't make the situation any worse. We currently feed her California Natural and are looking to switch thinking it might be causing part of the problem. ANY advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 02-09-2000, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. Its not every day, maybe two or three times a month. Vet can't find anything wrong and I forgot to ask about antacids. She's eating Nutro Natural choice Lamb and Rice because her companion has allergies, she does not and she has always done this no matter what she eats. She burps pretty loud too.

Old 02-10-2000, 02:47 PM

kayliedog,

Before I switched my dog to home-cooked food, she was vomiting 2 or 3 times a day. It can be a sign of inflammatory bowel disease, which can be caused by food sensitivities or allergies. If your dog has a sensitivity to something in the food, the quality of the food makes no difference at all. They will vomit on the most expensive food out there!

Have you asked the vet about IBD and food sensitivities? Are there any other symptoms other than the vomiting...like bad gas, numerous bowel movements and/or diarrhea? Try switching food and see if that helps. Try a good quality food with a different protein and carb source if possible. If it seems to help, you might be dealing with food allergies.

[This message has been edited by CarolineS (edited February 10, 2000).]

Old 02-11-2000, 02:09 PM

Caroline-

Thanks for all the advice. I just changed her from California Natural to the stuff we used to feed her. She didn't vomit once yesterday (a good start!!) She does have all the symptoms you mentioned (gas, diarrhea, etc.) So, it looks like you hit it right on the nose. I do try to feed her the frozen raw food that the pet store has. She loves it and has no problem with it. It is pretty expensive, so I only give it to her a couple of times a week. What do you cook for your dogs? I am going to call the vet today and ask about IBD. Thanks a million!!

PS...mu husband is so tired of the dog getting sick that he wants to rename her "vomit"!!!