Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2000, 06:20 PM

Six Weeks Too Late to Dock Tail?

I am a new owner of a 6 week old female rotweiler puppy. My problem is that her tail has not yet been docked. How dangerous is this for a pup at this age? Will they have to use anesthesia and could this have adverse affects on her? I am looking for the pros and cons to help me make my decision and any information would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-08-2000, 06:58 PM

no vet in england would dock her at this age. it should be done at about 3 days of age. if she,s a working dog and theres a very good reason to dock the vet would have to sedate her and it would be a opp.some people have actully tied elastic bands around a older dogs tail and it,s droppet off. but it must be dangerouse and the dock was arfull that l saw.rotts can actully look quite impressive with a tail.jlc

Old 02-08-2000, 07:13 PM

I have seen this discussed on the board before (late docking of tails), and I think most responders will advise you against having a tail docked at such an advanced age. Adding fuel to that argument, if she is unregistered she will not be shown in breed in the US, and that would be the only defensible reason to dock it.
In other words, there's no good reason to do it, and lots of good reasons not to.
I'd say, don't put her through this trauma, it's hard enough for her to be away from her littermates at only 6 weeks (most breeders wait until week 8 to send the pups home--they learn so much from mom and their siblings in that last two weeks).

Old 02-08-2000, 07:55 PM

Our Rotti, Max, looked great with a tail. Aside from people asking us what breed he was (Apparently some people think they are born minus a tail), it took the edge off of him so that people were not so afraid to pet him. Remember, tail docking is going out of style now, as some countries actually prohibit the practice.

Old 02-08-2000, 07:58 PM

Lisa thank you for your response to my issue. I have decided not to have her tail docked after all. I don't want to cause trauma to her and I sure don't want to take the chance of losing her for something cosmetic. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I went through with it ! Many Many Thanks from me and Zoe!

Old 02-08-2000, 08:24 PM
Novice Member

Here is a general rule of thumb that works for me. Up to three days old it's docking, anything after that is amputation.