Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2006, 11:40 AM

9 week parvo puppy

Hi all, although Im not new to Rotti's, I m new to one which has contracted the parvo virus at 9 1/2 weeks. My male pup came down with symptoms late friday afternoon and I took him to the vet first thng next morning where he tested positive for parvo virus. The vet started the usual treatment of IV fluids, antibiotics for secondary infection along with meds to control nausea.As of now he is holding his own fighting off the virus and staying hydrated. Vet said it might be tough cause he is young...but on the positive side I brought him in as soon as symptoms were noticed. I guess Im looking to see if anyone has gone through this with their Rotti's as I know they are more at risk for this virus. Any info or anyone with a positive outcome wih their Rotti and fighting off this virus would be welcomed. Thanks....Peter

Old 10-30-2006, 01:08 PM

Re: 9 week parvo puppy

Clyde was a parvo puppy, but a little older than your guy. I did not own him when he contracted the virus; his previous owners could not afford to pay for his treatment and I happened to clock in as they were about to put him to sleep.

He was in the hospital for 2 days before he felt better; his vomiting stopped within a few hours of being hospitalized and he only had diarrhea once after that. To my knowledge, he had never been vaccinated.

I recently attended a lecture where it was said that German breeds (boxers, rotts, GSDs) have an overall lower immunity to parvo. I don't recall the specific quotes since I was dead tired, but if needed I am sure I can find it out.

Good luck with your pup. Parvo is a nasty virus.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:20 PM

Doing a blood transfusion from another dog that has survived parvo is an excellent course of treatment. Ask your vet about this, you need to get this going as soon as possible if you are able. I have a friend who did this with her litter of 12 (all of whom had parvo) and she saved 10 out of the 12.

good luck

Old 10-30-2006, 02:34 PM

Yes, we have been through the parvo with a litter of 11 Rotty pups a long time ago. Only three survived the terrible disease. The runt of the litter was only in the hospital for 3 days. The longest one was there 10 days. We kept him! He went on and lived one day short of 11yrs. old. He did have various health problems over the years, but actually had a very good life. I'm sorry you are going through this and I pray your pup will survive it. It is a horrible disease!! Don't mean to scare you but hopefully giving you some hope that your pup will pull through!!

Old 10-30-2006, 03:10 PM

If you go to Parvo FAQs there is alot of information.
Sending well wishes and positive energy your way.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:45 PM

Thanks for all the input. I must have spent 20+ hrs on the net looking at facts and accounts....even had a phone conversation with a nice woman down south who went through the same thing. Guess its good that he is still hanging in there going into the end of day three. Doesnt seem to have turned the corner yet, but has not gotten worse...so I guess he is still fighting off the virus. Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Time will tell and Ill keep you posted. By looking back at all the posts regarding this virus...it seems it can strike even in the cleanest breeding facility as well as the not so clean... and a $2000 purebred is just as much at risk as a rescue dog. Many of the accounts have been very informative ,helpful, and uplifting. Thanks.....Peter

Old 10-30-2006, 09:02 PM

Know for sure that "all" of us a right by your side...and praying your your strong little boy.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:15 PM

Update...spoke with Dr. tonite (they call twice a day) and he advised that the puppy " Trooper" was looking/acting more alert. He had vomited a few more times but they were giving him some oral doses of gatorade along with some other nutrients He is still on the IV and other meds. Hopefully his being a bit more active and alert is a sign he is getting stronger and fighting off the virus. I am hoping tomorrow will be a turning point. Thanks again for the support...I will keep you updated.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:52 PM

Well... after 8 days in the vet's care Trooper is ready to get released tomorrow. Got a little depressed on wednesday but was doing better thurs.. and so on until today, when the Dr. said he had made some major strides in recovery. No vomitng, eating solid food and keeping fluids down. Also jumping around his kennel and playing with some toys. He had said that after they turn the corner, the recovery is usually pretty swift. It was a long week!!!! Thanks for all the support...Peter

Old 11-04-2006, 10:24 PM

Peter...It's so good to hear that Tropper is on his way back to his old self again. RDN Prayer Lines have been known to work miracles... Keeping good thoughts and continued prayers that he is completely recovered soon.
Angels Watching Over Us
^Samson^^Sasha^^Moses^^Tuxedo^
**You will forever hold a piece of my heart**

Old 11-04-2006, 10:48 PM

I'm very happy to hear your little one has been able to make it through. It's terrible when they are stricken with such a horrible disease, and many do succumb to it. Your little Trooper is well-named!

It will take a long time for his intestinal system to fully heal, so keep that in mind - I'd think he'll need a diet on the bland side for awhile.

Wishing him a very speedy recovery so he can get on to the business of being a puppy!

Old 11-04-2006, 11:26 PM

glad he recovered!
keep in mind that he still is contagious. they shed the virus for at least a month after recovery.
keep all clean, feed bland for now, and slowly mix regular feed as he gets stronger.
glad to hear good news!
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 11-05-2006, 03:43 AM

I am so very happy to hear that Trooper is improving. Yippee..hurray!!! Sounds like, by the other posts, there are still afew road blocks ahead but I am confident you two will get through.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:14 AM

spoiled babies 3...Since I only had him 2 days before he became symptomatic I am not even sure what "his Old self" even is yet....but I can't wait to find out and I hope it was like my previous 2 Rotties I had over the past 20 years.
Moondog...I hear you on the "Bland cooking thing". I was going to put a call into the X wife as she was the queen of bland food for many years....however she exhibited other behavior which could could have a fate worse than the parvo virus....so I will boil the chicken and rice solo.
Thanks again all for the good wishes!!!!
Peter

Old 11-05-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamendy View Post
Moondog...I hear you on the "Bland cooking thing". I was going to put a call into the X wife as she was the queen of bland food for many years....however she exhibited other behavior which could could have a fate worse than the parvo virus....so I will boil the chicken and rice solo.
Thanks again all for the good wishes!!!!
Peter
Thanks for a good first thing in the morning chuckle! And I'm so glad little Trooper is feeling better. You've gotten lots of good advice here. Hope you stick around and share Trooper with us as he grows up.

Forever my special angels.

Closed Thread