Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 04:03 PM

Vomit and Runny poop

i have a 10 year old chow who just lately has been getting sick. 2 days ago he vomited on the kitchen floor then pooped and it was really runny, in the vomit was undigested food and no blood in the poop. today also was the same thing but just a little blood in his poop. he has had all of his shots and currently on heart worm pills and flea control. nothing in the enviroment has changed except our neighbor has picked up a stray that has recently had all of her shots. He seems fine except while we are gone for work then he gets sick.

Any ideas?

Old 10-06-2006, 04:28 PM

Re: Vomit and Runny poop

There are many things which could cause this, and it is not unusual to see undigested food when a dog vomits.

If your dog does not want to eat, seems tired or depressed, is not acting normally, or if your 6th sense is telling you something is wrong, then get the dog in to see the vet right away.

If the dog is hungry and is behaving normally, then you can try feeding boiled hamburger or chicken with rice for a couple of days. If the dog does not improve in a day or two, or if the condition worsens, then get him to the vet.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:19 PM

Is it possible that he could have swallowed something? It sounds like a possible intestinal blockage to me. I recently went through this with one of my dogs about a month ago. Turned out he swallowed one of my son's pacifires whole. His symptoms where...vomiting, diahrrea, listlessness, loss of appetite and dehydration. If this continues I would take him for a stomach and intestinal x-ray. But be cautious. My boy's blockage didn't show up until the second round of x-rays.

Please watch for signs of dehydration with vomiting and diahrea. It can come on very quickly with those symptoms.
Good Luck and keep us updated please.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:46 PM

my 6.5 month old pup had the similar symptoms yesterday -- vomit/dry heaving and loose bowels is sort of a common occurrence for her. i took her in to the vet and the vet found an overgrowth of bacteria in her stool.. giardia is also possible, but he didn't run the tests to know for sure. she's on metronidazole that should cure either problem and it's also an anti-inflammatory for her upset GI tract. she was put on a 24-hour fast (starting from the last vomit/dry heave) w/ access to water (even though she wasn't too interested in drinking). the vet said she'd be able to return to kibble after the fast, but i have her on a boiled ground beef + brown rice diet for a little bit while i phase the kibble back in.

she's been rather lethargic/lazy these past two days, but i think it's just cuz she was bored w/ me. when my best friend & his dog came over, she was her playful self again.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:48 PM

IF there is blood in the next bowel movement and still not a lot coming out, I would take him to the vet. If its just a little, and its runny and you see blood, i'd be looking for a blockage. Get x-rays done. Maybe he swallowed an object.

43% of all statistics are worthless!

Old 10-06-2006, 08:30 PM

About once a month my girl has a little blood in her poop or she vomits. I had the vet check her out and he said it is just like a baby; they get the shits and pukes; part of growing up.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Valued Member

10 years old is getting on in age. I wouldn't mess around--I'd be on the phone with my vet, making an appointment for her to see my dog.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:48 PM

I have to agree, blood in poop = vet visit always.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:35 PM

Take a sample of the vomit and the poop into the Vet's office. It is fairly inexpensive for them to check it out for bacteria.(Just drop it off at the front desk)

It's probably something simple...but considering your dog's age, better safe than sorry!

Good luck!

Old 10-06-2006, 11:27 PM

the poop was alot and he drinks normal and eats normal, he has never chewed on anything he has toys that he doesnt even care about.the blood spot was smaller than a penny.

imma try a different diet for him and see if that helps out

Old 10-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Valued Member

Does this dog still have diarrhea and vomiting? If so, starting to switch foods (other than to a bland diet) is likely the worst thing you can do, because that will irritate his system even more.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:55 AM

its not constant, its just like ever other day.