Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Novice Member

Thumbs up Severe Hip dysplasia

My husband bought me a Rottweiler puppy for my birthday this past month. She was 12 weeks old when we got her and is 4 months now. A couple weeks ago we started noticing that she was having some trouble getting up from a laying down position, wouldn't get out of the car on her own and was running with both hind legs at the same time. I took her to the vet last night and while she was showing signs of hip dysplasia he said unless it was pretty severe x-rays wouldn't show anything at this age. My husband and I decided to go ahead and get the x-rays anyway, they came back showing severe hip dysplasia, there is no socket it's completely flat. The vet said while he can't say for certain looking at her x-rays he expects she will be totally crippled by the time she is a year old. There are two surgery options, one is very expensive where they put in an artifical ball joint and rotate the hip to make a socket somehow. the other is to cut off the ball joint and turn it from a bone joint into a muscle joint. He said the 2nd option of cutting of the ball joint they don't do until the dog is in extreme pain and cautioned that at that point they get pretty grumpy and are more prone to bite. My understanding of the first surgery is they can't do it until she is full grown. We have a guarentee of good hips from our breeder, but that requires taking her back to him and picking out a new dog. I called last night to see what would happen to her and he said most likely she would be put down. I don't know what to do. I don't know anything about hip dysplasia, I can't stand the thought of putting her down, I don't want her to be in pain, I can't afford the more expensive surgery ($5000) and I can't wait until she's in extreme pain for two reasons, I don't like the thought of it and I have 2 small children.
Has anyone had a diagnosis like mine? What have you done and what were the results? I am so upset right now. I just don't know what to do. My vet recommended taking her back to the breeder.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:44 PM

Re: Severe Hip dysplasia

Hi. We had the same problem with my boy when he was way under a year. Just one day on a walk he sat down and refused to get up. I carried him home, all 60lbs of him, and from there he would not get up. He had to be carried even to go to the bathroom. He was taken for x-rays and they found severe bi-lateral hip displasia. I was given the same options as you. It was very heartbreaking. There was no way I was given my puppy back. I had already fallen in love with him. His x-rays were sent to the OFA for evaluation and when they came back, they were graded as borderline and to reevaluate at 2yrs. He was put on glycoflex and adult food and eventually within a few months he was very mobile again. I never did have him revaluated. I already knew he had problems and was doing well on supplements, that was 9 years ago. He has lived a great life. He has always been happy and healthy just not overly active. It is just now in his older yrs. we are faced with some health issues. I would not have traded this dog for any reason in the world. He has been absolutely the best companion I could have ever wished for. I have cared for him his entire life and he continues to rewarded me hundreds of times over again. I would advise more than one opinion and more than one set on x-rays. Your pup is too young to make a rash decision. She is still growing. I am not saying your vet is wrong but it always helps to get a second opinion. I hope everything works out for you and your girl.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:48 PM

My dog was diagnosed with hip dysplasia too at about 5 months old. I know how you feel, and I know how devastated you are. It truly, truly stinks and I am very sorry you are going through this!!!

I opted for surgery on my dog (Triple Pelvic Osteotomy) but his hip sockets were still intact. Your dog would not be a candidate for this type of surgery. Anyway, my dog is 3 years old now and living as best he can.

Unfortunately, your dog is worse off than mine. I know someone who had the second surgery you described, but it was expensive and painful and the recovery was long. The dog always had some degree of pain and lameness.

If your finances are limited, then surgery is not a good option for you. What you have to also consider is the aftercare x-rays, medications and other expenses that will add to the figure your vet quoted you.

I know the last thing you want to do is give up your pup. I'm sure you are very attached to him! Can you keep the pup and get a full refund? What does your contract say? It just seems sad to have the breeder put him down when I think you would feel better doing it yourself (if you should decide to do so). This way, you can manage the dog's pain until you decide to put him to sleep.

Did the parents have OFA certificates? In any event, I am sure most people will tell you to return the pup and get another one.

Good luck with your decision. I know it won't be easy!

Last edited by SonnyRott; 05-12-2006 at 03:04 PM.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1
He was taken for x-rays and they found severe bi-lateral hip displasia. His x-rays were sent to the OFA for evaluation and when they came back, they were graded as borderline
The dog mentioned above as OFA borderline is NOT even close to the same as a dog with completely flat acetabulums (hip sockets), and this is NOT the same as a dog with SEVERE HD (severe is an official grading, not just someone's opinion). "Flat hip sockets" are not going to do well with simple supplements. Please be careful when making comparisons that you truly understand the degree of the disease and are not creating false hopes.

To the OP, I would suggest that you go to an orthopedic vet for a second opinion and for any surgery that you may elect. It is my opinion that your vet is not as well informed as he should be. To tell you that they can't see anything on xray prior to 12mos of age unless it's "really severe" is not at all accurate. Such an inaccuracy would cause me to pull my trust from such a vet with regards to any serious diagnoses or procedures.

I have vets who are highly informed, keep up with all the "latest and greatest" trends when it comes to feeding, vaccines, etc. That said, I STILL went to an orthopedist (at MY vets' recommendation) for ortho work that needed to be done. Surgery as major as this should not be left to the average practitioner.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:11 PM

From the OFA website:

Borderline
Borderline: there is no clear cut consensus between the radiologists to place the hip into a given category of normal or dysplastic. There is usually more incongruency present than what occurs in the minor amount found in a fair but there are no arthritic changes present that definitively diagnose the hip joint being dysplastic. There also may be a bony projection present on any of the areas of the hip anatomy illustrated above that can not accurately be assessed as being an abnormal arthritic change or as a normal anatomic variant for that individual dog. To increase the accuracy of a correct diagnosis, it is recommended to repeat the radiographs at a later date (usually 6 months). This allows the radiologist to compare the initial film with the most recent film over a given time period and assess for progressive arthritic changes that would be expected if the dog was truly dysplastic. Most dogs with this grade (over 50%) show no change in hip conformation over time and receive a normal hip rating; usually a fair hip phenotype.

Notice that this says that over 50% of the dogs go on to a passing rating!

Here is a severe hip (from the OFA website):

Notice that the ball is not in the socket at all. Here is what OFA declares a severe hip:

Severe HD (Figure 6): assigned where radiographic evidence of marked dysplasia exists. There is significant subluxation present where the ball is partly or completely out of a shallow socket. Like moderate HD, there are also large amounts of secondary arthritic bone changes along the femoral neck and head, acetabular rim changes and large amounts of abnormal bone pattern changes.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:35 PM

The point I was trying to make, and did suggest, was to seek a second opinion, as I believe you yourself did (BostonRott). Clearly, there was a large discrepancey between the x-ray interpretations of my vet at that time and the OFA. To give false hope as you have suggested I have done, was not my intention. I was just sharing my experiences as they happened, which, maybe I am mistaken, I thought that is why some of us come here. I do not claim to be an expert on this breed and I am certainly not a vet. I am just a common person with a passion for my 2 boys. I myself came here looking for information and education from breeders and more knowledgeable people than myself even after having my first boy for so long. I have read your posts and yes, I respect and admire your knowledge. I was actually antisipating a responce from you, last week, with a serious problem I am having with my old guy but unfortunatly, that never came, very few did.
As it has been said before , I don't think that we should be afraid to post here for fear we might be picked apart by someone else who seems more knowledgeable. I look for advise and try to help others through my experiences, I don't look for conflict.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:25 PM

I have a dog who had severe hip dysplasia diagnosed at about 7 months. We took his x-rays to a very good orthopedic surgeon who told us that TPO surgery was not an option on one of his hips, but might be able to be done on the other still. And it was.
Yes, it was expensive, a little over $2000 for the one hip, but I put it on my credit card.
I don't know if this is the surgery that they are offering from your description. And I do understand limited finances, but, my dog can now run and live life just fine.
But, the decision is up to you. With the contract from your breeder, and your financial situation, only you can make up your mind.
But I would consult with an orthopedic surgeon first. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:32 PM

Sadly, she said her dog has no sockets so he is not a candidate for TPO.

Old 05-13-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyRott
Sadly, she said her dog has no sockets so he is not a candidate for TPO.
Oh, read it too early....sorry.

Old 05-13-2006, 03:57 PM

Are you completely opposed to taking the puppy back to the breeder? The reason I am asking is because you are looking at a lot of expenses, and truly inevitable heartache. 4 months old with severe dyplasia is serious. I know you are attached to her, but the breeder put the stipulation about replacement of a pup who has bad hips for a reason, why not take her up on it BEFORE you have spent thousands more on her???? Can you get your money back?

Kristi

Ch. OTCH Jewel CDI RE BH RL2 CGN TT HIC
Ch. Seeker CD RE BH RL1 CGN TT HIC
Ch. Ruckus PCD RN TT HIC
Busy (super baby)
Jager HIC
[/FONT]