Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Novice Member

Ringworm??

Hello everyone, I am a proud owner of a Rotti female. She has developed a dry patch under her belly in the form of a raised ring around the umbilicle cord area. I've taken her to the vet twice and they don't seemed concerned. She is healthy, eating, drinking, deficating fine. She does itch it constantly. I've looked for a picture of ringworm on the web and have had poor luck. It does say that the animal may vomit and have diahrea, which she doesn't. Has anyone had anything similiar? Or any advice?.
Thanks in advance, Betty

Old 03-11-2006, 09:43 PM

Re: Ringworm??

You can find a good pic of ringworm by doing a Google Images search and typing in Ringworm. This is a tricky one, as ringworn is zoonotic, meaning it can pass from animals to humans and vice-versa. It's caused by a fungus, and you should wash all her bedding in hot water and change daily. If it is ringworm, your girl may need an ointment, and even an oral med to clear it up. In the meantime, to be on the safe side, I would suggest wearing exam gloves when you touch the infected area....just in case! And you might wanna consider putting a Collar around her head so she can't chew on it and get it all infected, or spread it! It does itch like crazy!!

Old 03-11-2006, 10:35 PM

Have the vet do a skin scraping to identify the problem. What exactly did the vet say about this? Did they offer any diagnosis or prescribe any treatment at all?

Doesn't really matter if the vet is not concerned, the point is you are concerned and have now paid for two consultations that appear not to have addressed your concerns.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:01 PM

try this site

Dogs with ringworm often have a very characteristic set of symptoms. The classic symptom is a small round lesion that is devoid of hair. The lesion will often have scaly skin in the center. Small pustules are often found in the lesion. The lesion may start as a small spot and continue to grow in size. The lesion may or may not be irritated and itchy. The lesions are most common on the head but can also occur on the legs, feet, or tail. The condition can often appear like, and be confused with, demodectic mange. In some infections, the fungus will not be in a circle and can spread across the face or nose and look like an autoimmune disease.
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]George Bernard Shaw[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Old 03-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Novice Member

Thanks to all who replied, when I did go to the vet, both times she did a test, she put a piece of tape over the affected area and checked it under the microscope, she told me if she suspected it was mange then she would do a skin scraping. It was also looking a little infected so she prescribed novolexin
375mg twice a day, this did nothing as I still see the same thing happening, it almost looks like it is going to heal then it starts beside the last area that was raised. It did stop spreading up into the hairline of the belly but is still travelling toward the vaginal area which has me worried. I will be visiting the vet again but will request to see the vet who owns the practice, and no more foolin around.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:25 AM

I work for a vet-we had an outbreak of ringworm a few weeks ago-one of our house cats had it and it spread like wildfire!! Every peorson got it, along with a lot of animals-we used an anti-fungal cream like lotrimin to treat it-my girl got a little patch on her ear-used the cream for about 2 weeks and it cleared right up!
But you do have to wash anu bedding,etc. Hope this helps!

Old 03-13-2006, 10:59 AM

If it is ringworm fungus, then shine a blacklight on it...a positive would make the outline glow purple.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:12 AM

Ok it's good to teach the OP about how to identify ringworm but she has been to the vet twice for this problem with no explanation or diagnosis.

I see the OP is going yet again to the vet so I would ask the vet outright "What is this"? and I would expect a diagnosis. If the vet is unable to diagnose the problem then at least a couple of possibilities wouldn't be too much to expect. Some kind of information is warranted instead of the OP coming home time and time again and still not having a clue what the problem is.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:24 AM

When we had ringworm as children my mother would put merthiolate on it and it would go away.Would that work on dogs?

Old 03-14-2006, 08:18 AM

There is also a very simple test for ringworm that the vet can do-all we did was take a swab of the area-and put it in a special jar, if the gel in the jar turn red-presto-ringworm!!

Old 03-14-2006, 09:31 AM

Ring worm is not deadly so maybe this is why your vet isn't concerned?

However if your pooch does have ringworm...it doesn't seem like your vet has explained that it is infectious, can be passed to humans and should be managed accordingly. I know that novolexin is a common antifungal medication so it's likely that your vet does suspect ringworm and if so, one would think that she would have also given you a topical cream to help keep the itching at bay and speed up healing.

Anyway, you aren't comfortable with what's going on and your vet has done nothing to make you feel better so I think you should get a second opinion.

When you go this time, go with a list of questions and write down your observations. This way you can give the new vet as much information as possible.

I would also mention that to the owner of the practice that you did not have a good experience with the other vet.

Owned by B.A. BEARacus PCD, CGN, RA, FDCh, CRVCL, CRXT, CRS, ATD, HT, JHDs, ADC, SGDC

Old 03-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Novice Member

Thanks to all...you have all been so helpful. Finally had enough and requested the owner who is the head vet. After informing him of my CONCERN about what Kikka and I have been through, what I was afraid it might be because of family, he proceeded to tell me what I should have been told at first, (and he knows the story) if it was "ringworm" then the hair folicles should have been broken off where the "fungus" is present because the ringworm attacks the shaft, that is not the case on Kikka. He also did the "black light" which does not show all forms of ringworm, but is used as an eliminating tool, also that ringworm it almost never found on the tummy area. His final conclusion was steph. pyoderma rosettes which is a bacteria supposedly common on puppies who lay on their tummies. Remedy..antibiotics, creme and antibacterial wash. Thanks again....what a GREAT forum.