Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here


Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SF, CA
Unhappy Help! Puppy swallowed sock - what should we do?

Our 11 week old pup just swallowed a sock! It was a very small sock (for a 9 month old baby), but still - the dog is a baby, too.

I called the vet and they weren't that helpful. They said we could bring her to the vet emergency room (about 30 minutes away) and induce vomiting and see if it comes up, or wait and do nothing and hopefully she will pass it. Or we could just wait and hope she poops it out.

She swallowed it so quickly, it had fallen off the baby's foot and she grabbed it - as I went to take it out of her mouth she got possessive over it and just quickly swallowed it.

She's a great dog but man o man these puppies are not too smart sometimes. I am so worried it will get caught in her intestine.

Wonder also if there is something I can give her to help it pass through smoothly? Olive oil? Aloe vera?

What should we do ??
Reply With Quote
 
  #2  
Old 01-13-2006, 09:06 PM
denverday's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: new england/usa
Images: 46
Re: Help! Puppy swallowed sock - what should we do?

I would wait for it to pass...only give it till the morning....If the puppy starts to show signs of distress...the take to the vet right away...if she starts vomiting and nothing comes up after a few...I would bring right away...
Denver 8 months swallowed a rag the other day and threw it up a few hours later......The rag was about the same proportion to him as the sock sounds like to your puppy......
this breed or maybe large dogs in general seem to always be swallowing things...
Good luck and keep us posted
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tammy
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity~~[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]George Bernard Shaw[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 01-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Victoria, BC,Canada
Images: 15
Re: Help! Puppy swallowed sock - what should we do?

I agree. A baby sock is pretty small and soft...it should come out one end or the other before too long. If the puppy is looking stressed you'll need to bring it to the Emergency.

Any update yet?
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 01-14-2006, 12:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SF, CA
Re: Help! Puppy swallowed sock - what should we do?

She seems normal - hungry and crazy and mouthy. The sock was yellow so it should be easy to spot.

It's hard not to worry over puppies. My last Rottie ate so much bad stuff (tissue hound her whole life) and the worst that ever happened was once she swallowed a bone that was too big, without chewing it, and it got stuck in her butt and wouldn't come out.

Come to think of it, that WAS pretty bad. After trying to help her get it out myself (gloves and vaseline ewww) then she had to go to the vet and be put under and they had to go up her butt and break the bone apart and get it out. That after many laxatives and much butt spew in the house.

We'll hope for the best this time.

Thanks for the quick repsonses! I'll let y'all know what happens.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 01-21-2006, 01:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SF, CA
Re: Help! Puppy swallowed sock - what should we do?

One week later:

after looking through many poops and much hand wringing, the sock came up (thrown up), along with another baby sock we hadn't even known she had swallowed.

All's well that ends well - and now we are much tidier than before - can't leave anything on the floor anywhere.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 01-21-2006, 02:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Victoria, BC,Canada
Images: 15
Re: Help! Puppy swallowed sock - what should we do?

A TRIUMPH!!!!!
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 01-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana
Re: Help! Puppy swallowed sock - what should we do?

I can't tell you how many times my baby Rottie ate socks. The first time, it was a huge sock and I flipped out and was afraid we'd have to do surgery and everything else. But, we waited for it to pass and it came out a few days later with no trouble. Just keep an eye on the puppy. If he seems blocked up and nothing happens within a couple of days, you need to take him to the vet, but until then, just wait :-)
Reply With Quote


Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samson might have swallowed a...... jesandsamson Vets Corner 24 04-18-2005 07:47 AM
swallowed something debbiej Vets Corner 38 11-19-2004 01:24 PM
sock success! porschea_mom Behavior 3 01-11-2004 03:25 PM
ate a sock! Artos Vets Corner 16 11-26-2003 03:36 PM
help! he swallowed a bone! sjones Vets Corner 3 12-08-1999 06:38 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:35 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

The thoughts expressed in the interviews and/or commentary contained within these forums are solely those of the individual(s) providing them and do not represent and/or reflect the opinions of Rottweiler Dot Net, it's parent site or it's affiliates.

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 Rottweiler Discussion Forums-All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced without permission.