Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2006, 08:59 PM

Unhappy Help! Puppy swallowed sock - what should we do?

Our 11 week old pup just swallowed a sock! It was a very small sock (for a 9 month old baby), but still - the dog is a baby, too.

I called the vet and they weren't that helpful. They said we could bring her to the vet emergency room (about 30 minutes away) and induce vomiting and see if it comes up, or wait and do nothing and hopefully she will pass it. Or we could just wait and hope she poops it out.

She swallowed it so quickly, it had fallen off the baby's foot and she grabbed it - as I went to take it out of her mouth she got possessive over it and just quickly swallowed it.

She's a great dog but man o man these puppies are not too smart sometimes. I am so worried it will get caught in her intestine.

Wonder also if there is something I can give her to help it pass through smoothly? Olive oil? Aloe vera?

What should we do ??

Old 01-13-2006, 09:06 PM

Re: Help! Puppy swallowed sock - what should we do?

I would wait for it to pass...only give it till the morning....If the puppy starts to show signs of distress...the take to the vet right away...if she starts vomiting and nothing comes up after a few...I would bring right away...
Denver 8 months swallowed a rag the other day and threw it up a few hours later......The rag was about the same proportion to him as the sock sounds like to your puppy......
this breed or maybe large dogs in general seem to always be swallowing things...
Good luck and keep us posted
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]George Bernard Shaw[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Old 01-13-2006, 09:28 PM

I agree. A baby sock is pretty small and soft...it should come out one end or the other before too long. If the puppy is looking stressed you'll need to bring it to the Emergency.

Any update yet?

Old 01-14-2006, 12:13 AM

She seems normal - hungry and crazy and mouthy. The sock was yellow so it should be easy to spot.

It's hard not to worry over puppies. My last Rottie ate so much bad stuff (tissue hound her whole life) and the worst that ever happened was once she swallowed a bone that was too big, without chewing it, and it got stuck in her butt and wouldn't come out.

Come to think of it, that WAS pretty bad. After trying to help her get it out myself (gloves and vaseline ewww) then she had to go to the vet and be put under and they had to go up her butt and break the bone apart and get it out. That after many laxatives and much butt spew in the house.

We'll hope for the best this time.

Thanks for the quick repsonses! I'll let y'all know what happens.

Old 01-21-2006, 01:35 AM

One week later:

after looking through many poops and much hand wringing, the sock came up (thrown up), along with another baby sock we hadn't even known she had swallowed.

All's well that ends well - and now we are much tidier than before - can't leave anything on the floor anywhere.

Old 01-21-2006, 02:47 AM

A TRIUMPH!!!!!

Old 01-21-2006, 11:54 AM

I can't tell you how many times my baby Rottie ate socks. The first time, it was a huge sock and I flipped out and was afraid we'd have to do surgery and everything else. But, we waited for it to pass and it came out a few days later with no trouble. Just keep an eye on the puppy. If he seems blocked up and nothing happens within a couple of days, you need to take him to the vet, but until then, just wait :-)